YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Sorry this is so long!
Havent done many trip reports but just had such a good weekend I felt i had to share it with you all!

Did 2 days diving in the Smalls this weekend. Luckily was blessed with perfect weather and a very flat sea which made the journey out much easier.

Day 1. Arrived at the smalls after about 45 minutes rib ride to see seals everywhere. There must have been 50 or so little heads poking out of the water or sat on the rocks. Was quite excited by the prospect of diving with them. There was quite a lot of current so we decided to dive the gullies around the north side of the lighthouse. These were really pretty, covered in dead mans fingers and jewel anenomes. Lots of crabs, sea urchins, starfish, wrasse but ubfortunately no seals seen on this dive but a really enjoyable 50 minutes or so. There was a little bit of current but it appeared to slacken off towards the end of the dive.

Dive 2 we dropped into where all the seals were and tried to head over to the rocks but the current was masssive and i found myself dragging myself along the bottom and using bits of kelp to prevent myself from being whisked away! Put my SMB up after 30 minutes as instructed by the skipper and found I couldnt move against the current at all with it up so ended the dive there. Did have a brief encounter with a seal but too busy fighting against the current to see anything alse.

Dive 3 we did a drift dive out to the north west. Again a very pretty dive
similar life to the first dive.

Day 2 saw most of the excitment!
When we arrived at the site we saw some quite large fins in the distance, looked too big to be a dolphin so we decided to go and investigate. As we got near the fins swam towards us and around the boat for a few minutes and they appeared (we think) to belong to a pair of pilot whales.

The 3 dives during the day all saw lots of encounters with seals. Some of whom would stay with us for up to 5 minutes. They were usually spotted playing with someones fins! There was one quite distinctive large one with a scar on its back that visited us twice on one dive playing with my fins and allowing me to tickle his chin. There were apparently some playing with our smb on the surface on every dive as well! They were amazing creatures so inquisitive and playful.

On the way home again we saw quite a lot of fins in the water so investigated and found a large pod of dolphins. Probably about 20 or so. They swan along side the boat for probably about 15 minutes and gave us a great show jumping along side us!

So all in all a great weekend. Probably the best diving I've done in the uk so far. If you get the chance to go there go for it! It is apparently quite weather dependent because it is so far out but definitely worth the trip.

Thanks for indulging me and reading this far. Sorry it is so long!

Helen:teeth:

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
I love The Smalls, don't like the journey out there in a RIB though!

The seals are just so friendly there aren't they? Glad you had a good trip, nice report :)

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Good report cheers. Seals are magic, and you got pilot whales and dolphins too!

Been to Pembrokeshire a few times, usually around Skomer, on Predator hardboat from Neyland. Where abouts is The Smalls, and do any hardboats go?

Cheers,
Dave.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Great report Helen sounds like you had a fabulous time. Did you get any good pics?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

I love The Smalls, don't like the journey out there in a RIB though!

The seals are just so friendly there aren't they? Glad you had a good trip, nice report :)
The journey out was fine suprisingly. Though i think the very flat seas and the fact that there was only 5 of us in the rib helped! The seals were great, so inquisitive.

Good report cheers. Seals are magic, and you got pilot whales and dolphins too!

Been to Pembrokeshire a few times, usually around Skomer, on Predator hardboat from Neyland. Where abouts is The Smalls, and do any hardboats go?

Cheers,
Dave.
I think there are some hard boats that go there. I think Predator was there on the saturday.

Great report Helen sounds like you had a fabulous time. Did you get any good pics?
Not sure at the moment. My memory card on my camera went a bit loopy on the 2nd day and may have lost them all. Couldnt take any of the seals on the sunday because of the problems.

Helen:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.