YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay here i go again i set this up in the general non-diving forum and its been interesting and was suggested i start one here too! So here it is, this was just a general place for Lesb-ian Gay Bi-sexual divers to meet-buddy up arrange trips and simply that not some mass us and them divide that has been suggested on the other thread. We are all just people and divers and others have argued the need for this thread but no one is been stopped from starting any thread that they like! Will be interesting to see what happens on here too!

Anyway rant over! Hello to all I am new to the diving scence myself and these kind of forums so forgive any mistakes. So feel free to stop by and leave a message if you wish.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
So here it is, this was just a general place for Lesb ian Gay Bi-sexual divers to chat and meet
OMG!! There's a forum for just for people called Ian or is that for gay and lesbians called Ian? Come to think of it I must be a lesbian as there's loads of women I fancy :D (It's not old, it's gold!)

Cheers,

Ian

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
(It's not old, it's gold!)
Are you on about your damned rivet again, JAG?

cyberplatypus - this subforum ('Looking for buddies') is really meant for finding people to go diving with, not just having a chat. Maybe that's what you meant, but it's not clear from the original post. Good luck finding buddies anyway.

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
That is *your* firewall or internet censoring software. It won't come up as that for anyone else!

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Cyberplatypus, do you want this thread to be one where you can chat, or one where you are going to arrange trips/dives?

If the former, I will move it into the Non-Diving Posts, if the latter, it can stay here.

Can you let me know one way or the other?

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
this is to find buddies / arrange trips etc the forum already exsists in non-diving for chat / meet purposes! Cheers sorry for the confusion.

Cheers re firewall doing this at work!!!!

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Okay, title renamed to make more sense.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Okay here i go again i set this up in the general non-diving forum and its been interesting and was suggested i start one here too!
I think you are mistaking 'starting a thread' which usually has a life of about a week, with adding a forum to the board which is something we users can't do.

This is the place to post if you are hoping to find somebody to join you diving HMS Algarve on Tuesday not a long term chat room.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I wish you luck mate, if your aim is to forge relationships with LGB divers. The title of your post seems to imply an intention to arrange dive trips for LGB divers only. Does that mean that straight people will be excluded ? Perhaps I'm being picky but it's an important point I think, and needs clarification. If that is indeed your intention then I'd ask you to ponder your own reaction if I were to advertise a trip on here with a footnote stating "No Gays".

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I must admit, I think it is a little 'off'. Surely this is a forum for divers & what ever else they happen to be is of little to no interest - maybe if a sub-forum for LBW divers is needed, it should be on an LBW site, sub-forum Diving? :)

Unless of course you are willing to put up with the non-LBWs jumping on your threads a la DIR etc ;) then great, just what we need !!

Dianne

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Okay, this is turning into a nice little emotive thread :)

Having been told off myself (rightly so) for organising an exclusive trip because it goes against the trend of YD, one for all, all for one, it might be worth exploring the other thread to find out contacts. If you want to organise a trip, feel free to do so on here, but I think the majority of YD would be (rightly so), slightly annoyed if the trip was a LGB trip only.

Having a separate LGB sub-forum is like asking for a whites only sub-forum, a northerners only sub-forum so would not be entertained.

Regards

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
IMHO diving is diving and this is a forum about just that ! Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender issues don't come into it as we all dive the same, using the same equipment and techniques so it's unnecessarily divisive to create a sub-forum, especially one which is set up to arrange activities that would exclude the majority (I assume) of YD-ers. I could understand a Disabled Divers sub forum being created as there are bound to be some different techniques, equipment etc because there can be different challenges to overcome. Unless there are specific LGBT diving issues I am unaware of. I am happy to be enlightened if that's the case

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Oh FFS! I am so disappointed in YD over this it is untrue. :(

The guy just wants to meet divers with whom he has something in common. Perhaps he wants to be able to act as a "couple" with his partner on the boat without any jokes, comments or otherwise - given some of the comments from folk on this very site before it IS something that some people would be uncomfortable with.

Nowhere has Ian said it would be exclusive, but at least if it is labelled as he has, you book on, you know what you are getting...and as no actual trip has been set up, just the idea mooted, don't yuou all think you are going somewhat over the top with your calls for inclusivity?

The last thing I want is a divide, but really guys, anyone would think that you were banned from trips every way you turned. Stop being oversensitive and start another thread if you want to discuss the rights and wrongs. The poor fella has already had one effort wrecked and now this one has gone the same way.

And who the hell even mentioned a bloody sub-forum? Get back in your box. it is a thread. One thread out of thousands. just one. Not too much to ask is it? And why the hell should he eff off to a LGB forum with a sub-forum of diving???? Arrrrgh!!!!!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I now have the imprint of a brick on my forehead from headbanging. All this is political bollocks, but please, please, please appreciate that the very last thing you are making YD appear as, by crashing each thread, is inclusive.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Lou,

I can see where you are coming from. Can I ask how you would set things up then and what the title of the thread would/should be? You are more known than Ian who is still trying to find his way away around YD.

I personally don't have a problem with a thread with Ian organising a trip, but why does it have to be a 'LGB' trip thread? That is my (and I think many others) concern over this thread. I don't really care who pitches up on the boat or what persuasion they are, just as long as they are competent (whatever that means) divers.

As I saw it, Ian wanted 2 threads running, one to talk about getting together, the other to arrange trips through. The problem is that Ian isn't on here to describe exactly what he wants. It also appears that he is posting from work which limits what he can type and further explain things.

Ian, please PM me, or email me (details on my profile) about what you want from this 'thread' and I will see what I can do to sort things out.

Regards

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I don't want to see a divide either Lou which is why I've posted . The title is "Trips for L G B Divers". Seeing as LGB divers are not excluded from "normal" YD trips then it's reasonable to assume that he means trips exclusively for LGB people, or he should edit the title. I don't agree with that concept. I fully support what Ian is trying to do, I just don't agree with how he's going about it or with suggestions (not his) about a sub-forum. Until he clarifies what exactly he means though we are all speculating.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts