YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Good evening one & all

I need a bit of help with something that has been troubling me with my equipment.  In short, I lack any sort of knowledge that would enable me to avoid taking even the simplest of equipment to "the shop to have someone look a it" in the event that it goes wrong/breaks etc.

Are there any good books around that cover self-maintenance of diving equipment in general, or is it a matter of learing the manual for each bit of kit you buy?  I refer to everything from suit-patching to BCD repair/ serving & regulator care and service and anything else to do with this (I realise the reg service may be best left to an agent esp. with APEKS).

I don't want a repeat of my motorbike shennanigans (there's no way that was spelled right), where the best I coud do was strip body work and indicators (ie anything superficial & cosmetic) and even then have bits left over when I'm done!!

To have some skill & knowledge in this area would be good.

yours hopefully,
Ralphy

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

You're right in that, with things like regs, you're best leaving them to the professionals (you will find that people will advocate knowing how to strip a reg down in the field and even underwater but I'd leave it until you really know what you're doing - you'd invalidate the warranty if nothing else!). In our LDS, I know the guy who does the reg servicing (he's on my DM course) so I watch what he does and ask questions but would still leave it to him to do the actual work. Likewise with a BCD unless its things like replacing clips and so on. With dry suits, there are plenty of patch kits available (not a bad idea to have one spare) but again. I'd view it as a temporary measure until I got it in for a service. If I found my kit was faulty, I'd seriously question whether to call the dive!

Regards

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

I have to beg to differ here, I have taken apart most of my kit just to figure out how it works, Apeks regs included.  Having done that, i have also managed to cure several problems on the spot, including a stabby that wouldnt stop inflating when you let off the button.

Obvioulsy it is best to do this before you have a problem.  Don't be scared of kit, its all really rather simple.  Although I have  managed to resist taking apart the aladin so far.......

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Diving is an adventure and the true enjoyment of said adventure (for me) is to be self reliant.  You know I hate feeling dependent on others, especially some spotty little dive shop geek who couldnt service his gal let alone my regs.

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Yeah,take it all apart!Seriously though,I tend to go with the philosophy that if you know how something works then you can use it more efficiently.You don't have to go berserk but tentative discovery and some common sense will gain you wonders.Anyway,that's enough relationship advice,here's a couple of usefull maintenance links. http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/saveyourgear/. also, http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/geardoctor/ . Hope this is of some use.Hobby.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Yep, good links them.
The days of equipment ineptitude are officially on their way out -  long live the invalidated warranty and bits left over!!

No, seriously though I will definitely have more of a clue what do now, so thanks v. much

Ralphy

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

A bit like a car in a way... sometimes its best to know how to fix a problem yourself, as long as your sensible about it, a little knowledge goes a long way! and what do you do if there is not a dive shop in site?
Eddie...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

I agree with Andy regarding getting stuck in yourself - after all when your away on a livaboard .. there aint no regulator servicing professionals knocking about in the galley  !! learn to replace diaphragms, o-rings, seals ect.. you save your self a fortune in the long run
Or is that just because Im a tight Northern T&#36%t and hate parting with my money !!
:lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts