YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Turtle Fins

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Naomi S 
#1 ·
O

M

G

They're bloody amazing!

Stoney let me "try before you buy". I have size 10 drysuit boots, so went with the XXXL size. there was a little side to side movement at the very front of the pocket (toe end) but none at the back of the pocket. I tried the XXL size on in the shop, and they were clearly far far too small, I could only get my foot in half way.

The only downside to them was those crappy straps that they put on them.

I really was amazed, my trim was better, my finning was better, I was able to reverse fin for the first time in my life (probably not properly though).... amazing!

Having lived with the avanti quattro's since I started diving back in 2000, I can honestly say that the turtles are an all around improvement. They are at least as powerful as the quattro's, but they feel a hell of a lot easier to use. Still with enough resistance to make sure you know they're there.

I'll be back in a couple of weeks to buy a pair. :D :D :D :D :D :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep, they are nice aren't they. After my old cressi frogs, they were a revalation. The biggest difference for me was that my feet were much warmer - I think because the foot pockets are big enough that they don't restrict the blood flow as much. I certainly don't get cramped toes like I used to either.

#13 ·
Another vote here for the Hollis F1's, been using mine for a few months now and they are great. I used to have a set of Scubapro XXL Jetfins which were just too big for my boots, the XL jetfins were too small for my boots so they were not an option. I was going to buy a pair of turtles but then I noticed the F1's at stoney. I tried them with my suit and the XL F1's were a perfect fit. The foot pocket is just a little bit larger than the SP jetfins but more importantly it is more rounded in shape and fits like a dream.

I would try the F1's, I got mine from stoney for £85 about 4 months ago and as previously mentioned for this price they come complete with spring straps!

#4 ·
hmm AFAIK capers don't have turtles in their demo section, I may have to have a go of turtles the next time I make it down to Stoney!

Did you find they were slower on normal swims at all? my impression of them (second-hand only) has been that they're extremely manoeuvrable but might have less power in terms of sheer forward thrust...

#9 ·
Certainly not any slower than quattro's. I doubt that most people use quattro's to their full effect anyway, but the ease of use of the turtles has meant that they're at least as fast through the water, if not a bit faster. I had to 'catch up' with laura at one point on todays dives, so i got to test out that aspect of them quite well. Apart from the odd spurt of speed, I'm generally a lazy finner too.... it's the best way, but the turtles even managed to improve that aspect. With the improvement in trim & foot weight, I felt able to fin EVEN SLOWER, without getting floaty feet!

#14 ·
@ Foxe Scubapro Jetfins rock! (Accept no cheapo immitations)! Like Lou said boys end up having to get Turtles cos they can't get their feet in Jetfins but I do remember having similar feelings to the OP when I first tried mine. They might be my most favorite piece of dive gear actually :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.