YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've had a bit of a think and was wondering about replacing my TV when it finally goes bang. The TV at present is slowly going more and more blue. Now my problem is i have a large collection of DVD's that i enjoy watching but i don't watch TV. With the advent of downloadable TV on demand thingy stuff of the interwebbly, if there was something i wanted to watch i could download it.

If i decided to get a computer connect it to the net and have a really nice big monitor that i could watch the dvd's on would i need a TV license?

whats the biggest computer monitors out there and would they be any good?

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
As I understand it, as long as you didn't have a TV card on the PC/laptop or inputs on the monitor (some monitors come with freeview now!) then you shouldn't need a licence.

The text is something like "equipment capable of receiving TV signals" so you would be OK as far as I know.

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
If i decided to get a computer connect it to the net and have a really nice big monitor that i could watch the dvd's on would i need a TV license??
Well... yes. I'm afraid that if you have a system capable of receiving pictures from an external source you need a license. If you stick to DVDs through a video input only monitor you should be OK

Yes... and no. Flat screens are getting better by the month. If you're as fussy as I am you'll want to wait a while, but I reckon you'll be just fine with a large HD flat panel with SVGA input.

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... yes. I'm afraid that if you have a system capable of receiving pictures from an external source you need a license.
from an external source i guess is the kicker. anything downloadable etc from a televison website is classed i guess as TV even though its not from a traditional ariel/cabal.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
i've had a bit of a think and was wondering about replacing my TV when it finally goes bang. The TV at present is slowly going more and more blue. Now my problem is i have a large collection of DVD's that i enjoy watching but i don't watch TV. With the advent of downloadable TV on demand thingy stuff of the interwebbly, if there was something i wanted to watch i could download it.

If i decided to get a computer connect it to the net and have a really nice big monitor that i could watch the dvd's on would i need a TV license?

if you have a TV - with a tv tuner in it - then you will have to have a TV licence.

if you have a TV without a tuner in it - i.e. a monitor - then you won't[1]

If you listen to the radio at home - or have a sound system with a radio tuner - then you will need at least a radio licence - this is covered by a TV licence - which is why you don't normally need to bother.

You cannot fight the TV tax. People have tried and failed - even proving that they cannot receive any BBC channels - only independent(self funding) channels by having the frequencies blocked.. You cannot escape the TV tax.

[1] if you start watching TV channels via the internet you will need a licence.

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
I'd ask the TV licensing people, cos the FAQ isn't really that clear. If it applied to download tv it would mean that everyone who looked at youtube would need a tv license.....I'm not saying thats not the case but I would be surprised.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
tvlicensing.co.uk said:
Do I need a television licence if I only watch programmes received by satellite?

Under the Communications Act 2003, you need a television licence to receive or record television programmes. This applies if they are received by a satellite, cable or land based transmitter. If you are watching any satellite service, controlled from within or outside the UK, you must have a television licence.

You may have been informed, in the past, that a television licence was not required if you received television program services from outside the United Kingdom. This was changed in the Communications Act 2003, and if you are using your TV to receive or record television programmes broadcast by satellite from outside the UK, you are now legally required to have a TV licence.
Well cable would cover the internet IMO.

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so the little shoits have got yo any which way but loose.

i bet theres cause that says.

"if you ever have the intention or inclination to watch a TV program, you need a TV licence."

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
And there was me thinking you'd finally decided to come clean about your cross-dressing habits.

·
Kit Junkie
804 Posts
I don't have a licence (or a TV). I've been getting abusive letters for over 6 months which I rip up.

If you want to watch DVD's on a computer most TFT flat screens are crap. Even for TV most TFT flat screens are crap.

Get yourself a good (Iiyama or similar) CRT monitor. Weighs a ton but superb viewing. I'm looking at a flat screen CRT (22" Iiyama) on a resolution of 1600 x 1200 at the moment. Beats any TFT rubbish.

·
New Member ? Its the same one i've always had
704 Posts
Junk your telly, ask for the remainder of your TV licence fee back. You'll get frequent letters from them threatening you with all sorts of dire consequences for not having a TV licence. Respond to first letter, telling them that you do not have TV. You'll get a letter from them promising to come round and check. IF they come round and check, DO NOT tell them that you watch TV across the 'net. Spend money saved on shiny tat. Easy!:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.