YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Sorry, I need to rant!  Saturday was a gorgeous day and so I thought "hmm, I'd like to go diving".  Being that I live in North london and my buddy was working all day, I knew it would be difficult but I really wanted to get myself underwater and try out my new fins.

Just as I was about to plunge into my bath and/or set up child's paddling pool in garden
, a friend of mine who runs a dive store in Greenwich called to say he was doing try dives all afternoon in the local pool and that I was welcome to join.  Sad though it is, I was desperate to get into any amount of water and so jumped in my car and headed to his shop for further directions to the pool.

Now, being from North London, I do not venture Sarf of the river very often.  In fact, this was the first time I was required to do so.  Oh yeah, and I am not a very good driver either.  And I'm female (sorry girls for letting the side down).  So I get given (some very odd) directions to the pool which is allegedly "just round the corner" and hop back into my car with a borrowed tank for the afternoon.

After an hour of dual carriageways, roundabouts and no swimming pools whatsoever, I am lost.  I am so lost I can't even find myself on the map.  So I call ahead to the people I'm meeting who fill me with confidence by saying "oh yeah, we got lost too"!!!  

Another hour passes and by this time I am feeling let's say, a wee bit grumpy!  Still can't find the bloody pool so give up, go back to the shop, dump the tank and drive home.

After THREE HOURS driving in the scorching heat, I am back where I started - at home unpacking dive gear and not a happy bunny.  

Realised that i could have driven to Stoney and back in that time!!

Anyway, rant over.  That'll teach me, no matter how desperate I am, I am never doing that again.  I just need to find a neighbour with a decent pond!!  

Alternatively, only six days until I jet off to North Cyprus!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Haha, nice story, Lesley. Thanks for sharing it with us. Hope you manage to find your way to Cyprus without getting lost  

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Yes, Cyprus should be easy enough as I'm not in charge of getting me there!!  Thank goodness my underwater navigation isn't as bad as my driving.

Still, I maintain that it was not completely my own fault  

·
Registered
31 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I do not venture Sarf of the river very often
well, i would have more sympathy but you had a perfectly good dive site right there and you drove straight over it.  

don't worry, some of us blokes aren't any better.  i could manage to get myself lost if there were big neon sign posts at every junction pointing the way.  if i ever dive with anyone here remember not to give me a compass or map, you'll live to regret it!

hope you manage to get a dive in next time.

hideo.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

You should be OK Lesley as long as it's not a female pilot. As you have just proven Women have enough problems with 2-dimensional navigating, never mind 3-dimensional

Enjoy yourself and if it's a girlie pilot just tell her to hang a right at Turkey and if she sees Pyramids then shes' gone too far.

Peter

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hideo @ June 23 2003,12:05)]well, i would have more sympathy but you had a perfectly good dive site right there and you drove straight over it.  
Are people allowed to dive in the Thames?  Has anyone on this board ever dived in the Thames?  Would love to hear their thoughts about it if so.  Only because I can definitely find my way there!!  

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Lesley I understand exactly, south of the river is NOT a good idea, its OK to go west and south, but South London is just a no-no. We have an office in Croydon and I dread going there.
As an aside the best pilot Easy Jet have is a lady she lands brilliantly, dont know about her navigation though I only went to Holland on her plane a few times, but it was always re-assuring to hear her voice. The other passengers always went a bit green but I KNEW she was very good.

With all the rain we've just had cant you find a puddle deep enough?

My boy and I were going to 'do' Stoney, except he went all hay-fevery and bunged up so we canned the dive, boo-hoo.
Better safe than sorry.

Have a good one in Cyprus, catch u when you get back

Matt

added  = DONT dive the Thames its very tidal apparently and much dangerous I believe. Plus I dont think the boats would know what an SMB was for.
M

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ June 23 2003,12:21)]Lesley I understand exactly, south of the river is NOT a good idea, its OK to go west and south, but South London is just a no-no. We have an office in Croydon and I dread going there.
As an aside the best pilot Easy Jet have is a lady she lands brilliantly, dont know about her navigation though I only went to Holland on her plane a few times, but it was always re-assuring to hear her voice. The other passengers always went a bit green but I KNEW she was very good.

With all the rain we've just had cant you find a puddle deep enough?

My boy and I were going to 'do' Stoney, except he went all hay-fevery and bunged up so we canned the dive, boo-hoo.
Better safe than sorry.

Have a good one in Cyprus, catch u when you get back

Matt

added  = DONT dive the Thames its very tidal apparently and much dangerous I believe. Plus I dont think the boats would know what an SMB was for.
M
Thanks for the advice on the Thames.  Shall leave that one then!

Shame about the hayfever though, better luck next time!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>Hi
Dived the Thames when I was in the Navy
doing a job.
Wouldn't won't to dive it for pleasure.
very limited slack water, viz about 6"
Cheers
Bob.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I've seen the Thames, you know.

And I find it VERY hard to believe that you could see more than about an inch while you were down there.

That'd make for an exciting dive, true, going pelting along with the tide, bumping into all the shopping trolleys and dead bodies that are undoubtedly down there, but I prefer the more relaxed type of sub-aqua experience.

Not that I've been able to do much this year - finally recovered (financially) from writing off my car at the start of the year, only to put down a deposit on renting a flat so big that my bank's fraud squad have been interrogating me to make sure it really was me that took out the money.

Oh well. Another few weeks, and maybe I'll have the time, the money, the returned cylinders AND the opportunity to get into the sea again before the season ends.

Rant rant

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>Dom.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That'd make for an exciting dive, true,
going pelting along with the tide, bumping into all the
shopping trolleys and dead bodies that are undoubtedly down there,
you’ve got the map upside down mate.
That’s the Clyde  not the Thames.