YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys got a pair of 12's was hoping to twin wats best set up?i was told best wing was the dogs bollocks TDB is this right or is there another set up am a big lad so weight issue not a problem slainte

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
I have built numerous twinsets in search of the perfect config. I believe that the perfect set is:

Heiser 12's
Agir Brokk bands
V4-tec Manifold

Unfortunately I have managed to dodge that particular set-up and now dive sets of Heiser 12's with Agir bands and manifolds - but the slugs in the manifolds are coated in some horrible green flakey crap that bungs up the action on the valves. V4-Tec are pure brass and much better.

Highland Mills bands are nice as are V4-Tec and SDS.

Faber cylinders are too short and neck heavy for my liking but plenty of people get on with them.

I'm sure people will be along soon to tell you that MDS manifolds are the only way forward but I'm not so sure (they are good but not without their draw backs design wise).

The CD TDB is not a wing I'd recommend (I used to own one), unless you are doing serious solo diving that justifies that level of redundancy and complexity. I had more issues generated by it's 'features' than I have had in the 6 wings I have owned since. Keep it simple - less to go wrong...

HTH.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
you are likely to get about 1000 different views on this question, and frankly a little more info on the type of diving you want to do would help you to get more considered advise.

I Used a TDB for years without any problems whatever. Tough as old boots and very reliable. If I was buying again knowing what I do now (about my own diving) I might choose differently, but then again I might not!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
II'm sure people will be along soon to tell you that MDS manifolds are the only way forward but I'm not so sure (they are good but not without their draw backs design wise).

HTH.
they have stopped making the MDE manifold valve.There was something about them not up to euro standards and not been safe as people think. they are due to bring new MDE manifold out soon if it's not already here.
This was what i was told when trying to buy set

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
I have built numerous twinsets in search of the perfect config. I believe that the perfect set is:

Heiser 12's
Agir Brokk bands
V4-tec Manifold

Unfortunately I have managed to dodge that particular set-up and now dive sets of Heiser 12's with Agir bands and manifolds - but the slugs in the manifolds are coated in some horrible green flakey crap that bungs up the action on the valves. V4-Tec are pure brass and much better.

Highland Mills bands are nice as are V4-Tec and SDS.

Faber cylinders are too short and neck heavy for my liking but plenty of people get on with them.

I'm sure people will be along soon to tell you that MDS manifolds are the only way forward but I'm not so sure (they are good but not without their draw backs design wise).

The CD TDB is not a wing I'd recommend (I used to own one), unless you are doing serious solo diving that justifies that level of redundancy and complexity. I had more issues generated by it's 'features' than I have had in the 6 wings I have owned since. Keep it simple - less to go wrong...

HTH.

The CD TDB is a single bladder wing with the option of double bladder so the comment on the need for redundancy is not necessarily warented.

I dived a TDB (Single bladder) on OC and had a total of zero problems. I recently bought one to replace the wing on my CCR and I am pleased to have it back. I dived the TDB with everything from a single 12 up to twin 15s and three 10ltr stages. It worked well with all configs. Its a very very versitile wing.

MDE manifolds don't have problems and have zero "design issues". This is a total myth that dosent relate to the MDE design in any way. What MDE do do is work brilliantly regardless of tank pressure. They are by far the best manifold available. I role on the floor laughing at the arguments that if people keep their Scuba pro, Agair Brock, Halcyon, SDS etc etc manifolds regularly striped and lubed, the action on the valves is nearly as good as a MDE. I never once had an MDE apart and i used to blow my 235bar tanks up to 250 -260 bar almost every dive and still the MDE remained silky smooth and easy to turn regardless of the pressure. When i tried this on a SDS manifold (Halcyon type) I thought the damed thing was broken, it was so hard to turn.

Heiser's are damed heavy tanks but there is nothing wrong with them. Only reasion to get Heisers is to get rid of lead on the weight belt or because you baught the wrong wing and had to get tanks to suit it :D (Fabers dont work well with the new Halcyon wing i am told)

Highland mill bands are excellent so at least we have some common ground :D

TDBi s a great wing the CD backplate is fantastic and the most flexible combination of plate and wing out there. The CD harness is a love it or hate it thing. Its fussy and fiddly but it works well.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
hi guys got a pair of 12's was hoping to twin wats best set up?i was told best wing was the dogs bollocks TDB is this right or is there another set up am a big lad so weight issue not a problem slainte
Hmm, the set up that is right for you :) - ok so not the most helpful of answers :redface: , however what suits one will not suit another. An example of this is that I've tried twin 12/300's which were totally unsitable for me, but I know that others have previously posted that they are very happy with the same type of cylinders.

The best option is to borrow kit and try out several wings, backplates and configurations.

What suits ME is twin 12 ECS cylinders with v4tech bands and manifold and a Frog Midnight wing. I've dived an OMS 100lb wing and still really like it - I just prefer the Frog as it feels better in the water.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Fabers dont work well with the new Halcyon wing i am told
Thats because it was designed for US size tanks, not like a certain other wing ;) (see sig if in doubt :D)

Highland mill bands are excellent so at least we have some common ground :D
Unfortunately they have now gone out of business.

Help ?

Prob not but as always the facts from Knackers.

Cheers.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
There is lots of advice out there and to be honest you'll have to buy something and try it for yourself before you know if it's right for you i have tried a few wings and i could slag others off and tell you that MDE / Halcyon are brilliant and that I'm such a good diver you must listen to me Balls etc etc........ but it's an opinion and they are like ar5e holes every one has one.

find a LDS or supplier that will let you try the kit first, there are plenty around or go to a skills day and play with kit there. Only then can you find what will suit you best,

personally i have the Halcyon wing Agir Brokk bands and manifolds i treat them like sh1t they are still in the boot of the car from diving Monday and Tuesday, I'll drag them out tomorrow and wash it off or just stick them in the garage they have never let me down.

the best advice i could give would be get hold of a few and try them before you commit to buying one

Graham

·
Retired
2,054 Posts

I've twin 12's on a frog midnite wing,s/s backplate and harness if you wanna try them out gimme a shout, Im off work for the next 2 weeks so free to dive anytime.

Gareth

G

·
they have stopped making the MDE manifold valve.There was something about them not up to euro standards and not been safe as people think. they are due to bring new MDE manifold out soon if it's not already here.
This was what i was told when trying to buy set
I know it had more to do with the cost of raw materials

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
yep twin 12's

yep I dive twin 12's fabers 232 got some crappy mde manifold on them seams to work ok it's been there a few years now, er yes got a stainless backplate wots stuck on a dive right wing just came as a package that seams to work ok too. oh the two bladders not sure on that one never needed to use both. Still the whole lot goes ok with sides and used with a single 15 15 and a poney wotever is ok keeps me happy anyway. Lou.:teeth:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've twin 12's on a frog midnite wing,s/s backplate and harness if you wanna try them out gimme a shout, Im off work for the next 2 weeks so free to dive anytime.

Gareth
sounds good gareth will let you know workin this weekend will give you my mob numb in pm

·
UK GUE Instructor
1,448 Posts

Heiser 12's
Agir Brokk bands
V4-tec Manifold

I'm pretty sure that the AGIR Manifold is just a badged V4-Tec Manifold. The green flakey stuff you refer to is just dried Crystal lube that has taken some colour from the green coating on the brass (i think) slug, it should just be cleaned, washed in a degreaser and a small amount of crystal lube reapplied before re-assembling. There may be some variety in different manifolds over the years, but i have both here in my shop, just took them both apart, and the only difference is the AGIR stamp.

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Chase
Highland mill bands are excellent so at least we have some common ground
Unfortunately they have now gone out of business.

Cheers.
The Highland Mill Buisness was sold of to XS Scuba of California and they have now restarted production of twinning bands.

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the AGIR Manifold is just a badged V4-Tec Manifold. The green flakey stuff you refer to is just dried Crystal lube that has taken some colour from the green coating on the brass (i think) slug, it should just be cleaned, washed in a degreaser and a small amount of crystal lube reapplied before re-assembling. There may be some variety in different manifolds over the years, but i have both here in my shop, just took them both apart, and the only difference is the AGIR stamp.
Brian they are made in the same factory by the same people but from different parts. The Agir slugs and the v4Tec slugs are different and aren't interchangeable - trust me I have tried.

The green coating on the Agir slugs flakes off and causes a gooey mess. I have two sets with Agir manifolds and they are good but I'd rather have the V4Tec brass fittings with no gooey mess.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
As said earlier in the thread what works for one may not work for you and if possible try before you buy.

I have an OMS 100lb single bladder and have used it with no problems with twin 12's 15's and a single 12 I have also used twin 10's on a pro 2000 BC.

Good luck

Safe diving,
Steve

1 - 20 of 32 Posts