YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Imported post

The set up is ok

But because it hasn't got twinning bands, the manfold can take a lot of the load.

You are better off buying a set with bands, for around £250-£280 and a second handwing and backplate.

Simon

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>personally, bearing in mind it's £400 with a while to go, I'd hold out for a twinset with bands and a wing & harness that's got a stainless stell backplate.

Most likely is that you'd get the wing and harness on one auction and the twins on another.

PM me if you want more info.

Juz

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Thanks this is the second time this set has been on ebay..  Thats why I was asking I want to move to twin 12's + wing but can't afford new at this moment in time..  

Thanks for the feedback

Sean

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Sean
I was in for a set of 10's on E-bay, they were rubbish when I went to collect them, I had agreed a price with the seller before the auction ended but when I got there I later found out I had been outbid.
The upshot is I would be very wary now of purchasing tanks unless I was going to get them tested and 02 cleaned, otherwise how do you know someone hasnt swapped out the valves for 'dirty' ones.

Buyer beware I believe is the phrase.

Regards
Matt

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Sean
Just seen this on UK diving's classifieds -

12L twin set (yellow) with isolation manifold. In test.
Comes with SDS stainless steel twinning bands.
£250.

Buyer picks up or pays for delivery

Mark
   [email protected]

I paid the same for mine without s/s bands, which I managed to get for £35 second hand.
Considering a new buddy redwing is around £150 and a combro plate £40, so that'll only set you back £440 (or less if you manage to get the price of the twinset down, or get a second hand wing cheaper than £150).
HTH
Martin

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MartinS @ Dec. 16 2003,15:19)]Sean
Just seen this on UK diving's classifieds -

12L twin set (yellow) with isolation manifold. In test.
Comes with SDS stainless steel twinning bands.
£250.

Buyer picks up or pays for delivery

Mark
   [email protected]

I paid the same for mine without s/s bands, which I managed to get for £35 second hand.
Considering a new buddy redwing is around £150 and a combro plate £40, so that'll only set you back £440 (or less if you manage to get the price of the twinset down, or get a second hand wing cheaper than £150).
HTH
Martin
Martin

Thanks do you have the link to the site

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

£400 really isn't cheap for a second hand wing & twinset. Especially since it's not even got steel bands or backplate.  If it were firsthand, it'd be a pretty good deal. For second hand... no.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Thanks all, I think I'll pass on this one and keep looking..  Martin thanks for the link

Sean

15 December 2003
Twin MDE Isolated Steel 232 12's + Dive Rite Wing Setup
In test and o2 clean. Email for full details.    
   [email protected]

I wonder if this is the same setup
??

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

Go dive advertise a new wing, back plate and harness for £250 and a new 12 litre banded twin set for £330.  I suggest you offer your local dealer a chance to match prices. When you consider new comes with a guarantee some of the prices asked for 2nd hand twin sets are quite high.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

I buy a lot of kit secondhand, but I bought my twins new.

It was £264 from Kent at the diveshow (manifolded and O2 clean). When you take into acount the fact that you'll have an extra year or of test left used twins look v.v. expensive

Get bands secondhand though. I bought mine from ukdiving for around £25 quid.

Laters,
   Janos

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Bear in mind that a guarantee at Go-Dive isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Details to come soon, I'm going to give them a chance in the new year to sort out their mess, and then might just go for the jugular once and for all. God they've pissed me off, but they've said they'll sort it, in a kind of "we don't want to fall out with you" kind of way. Probably because I bring at least 2 or 3 customers in their doors each month.

On tanks, though, once you've got them they're pretty much all the same, and the actual shop you buy them in will make little difference.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

Personally I buy from my local dive shop.  I shop around for prices and then ask for a price match at my local. I don't know how hard I'm pushing but generally have to give slightly more than the best discounted prices, such as the price + postage cost, which is what I would have paid if I ordered from a shop in England.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts