1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>

HI ALL
setting up my twins but how far down the cylinders do you put the first band ?
I notice most sets of 12L seem to be at the point where the flat of the cylinder starts is this the best place to start or is it because that is he highest they can go ?

wacker

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wacker @ April 21 2003,17:37)]

HI ALL
setting up my twins but how far down the cylinders do you put the first band ?
I notice most sets of 12L seem to be at the point where the flat of the cylinder starts is this the best place to start or is it because that is he highest they can go ?

wacker
Well......., there is no rule etched in stone for such a height. But, you have to be able to reach the manifold, so too low isn't good. If you set the tanks too high, you will be unbalanced when you are on the surface and can be pushed face down.

I managed to get my LOWER band about 3 inches from the curved base of the tank. This works for me, doesn't mean it's the right height for you. Some people cannot stand the valves hitting them in the head some others can't reach, etc.

Take care

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

Wacker

To start with, set the top band as high on the tank as you can (on the break of the crown of the tank) just before the tank "curves".  If you have narrow bands (custom divers etc.) you can afford to have the top band an inch or two below the break.  Wide bands (Highland etc.) will need to be "on" the break.

If you have trouble with your trim or you can't reach your valves, persevere by moving a v-weight around and stretching to increase mobility in your arms/shoulders.  Don't just jack the tanks up like many people do, this will just throw out your trim and make the isolator hit the back of your head.

I can send you a pic of how I have mine positioned if you like.

Good luck with it.

Bob

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

Hi

In addition to Bobs comments the fit of the harness has to be right as well as the position of the bands. Fitting the bands as high as you can on the tanks means you must have a tight enough harness to enable you to reach the valves.

If you have a single piece harness and a stainless backplate(you haven't mentioned what you are mounting them on) then the shoulder straps must be tight enough so you can touch the top of the backplate by reaching over your shoulder. Any looser and you will have problems reaching the valves.

Hope that helps

WL

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>

Thanks WL
Your right I am using stainless bp and one piece harness.
No manifold, diverite superone wing and two 300 bar fabber 12's, with stainless bands.
Recon I'll b able to stay down all week on Swanage Pier

wacker

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Where's Swanage pier...is it worth a visit for a week...I have a spare week coming up...pls advise.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>Hi kinetic

Check out Seadart site [site menu swanage]

All the info you need on Swanage.
www.seadart.net

Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi kinetic
Check out Bobs site for info.
Swanage pier and old pier ar nice shallow dives, though a week might B a bit boreing however

The dive shop on the pier often have spare places on their boat, or can book you in with other boats. I recomend the dive site of the Kyara and the trawler in the bay is also quite a nice dive to drift from.
TRY DORSET IT'S A NICE CHANGE.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts