YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

hi
after recently purchasing twin twelves i needed to cut the boots down in order to get the stainless bands low enough,the problem now is how to keep the cut down boots in place ive tried silicon sealer and araldite with no luck so far.

so now do i

1. buy new ones and start over again?

2.Are there twin boots out there fit for the job and if so where from?

thanks in advance
                 nikk

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>hi nikk
I cant see why you need to cut the boots on 12s unless you have inverted them?
I use twin 300 bar 12s and with the top band as high on the cylinders as posable they are just fine and this leaves a gap of 4" from top of standard boots to bottom of lower band.
If you have the bands so low as you imply i think they will hit your head or indeed the valves will be above your head    

wacker

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Wacker

I have indeed had to cut the boots,theyre not inverted but if i didnt cut them i had two problems.

1. The usual one couldnt reach the valves.

2. My bcd is a zeagle there are only two holes through it so when mounting this with a stainless steel backplate im limited as to where i can position it and the bands,thus the need to cut the boots hope that makes sense.

nikk

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Actually Nikk has asked a damn good question. I, too, could do with lowering the bands by an inch or so but the boots are in the way. Have considered just taking them off but I like the twinset to stand up.

So - anyone any ideas. I want to reach the valves with comfort and whilst I can I could do with the added inch or so (ooo--er

)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Would it not be possible to create more holes in the Zeagle (like I have done on my TekWing) to allow you to not have the bottom band so low?  I bought an eyelet kit which had a hole cutter for the eyelets, and you then turned it over and it became an eyelet sealer. Cost about £3.50 from my local hardware store - can't see the Zeagle being any more difficult to do this with than the tekwing (but don't quote me on that!) - does that help?
Regards, and dive safe
Martin

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello,

What I did was to order them with single boots which are much lower in hight. Normally they use so big booties so that they can support the malifold and be more rigid but if you are going to use SS bands it would not be a problem.

Hope it helps  

Pierre

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Martin
        Thanks i may try that as i need to buy new boots now anyhow as the first ones were cut too small by some idiot(me) and keep falling off.Are we talking about homebase or similar for the eyelet cutter?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Thanks Pierre
However as i stated earlier my problem is my bcd there are only two holes for my backplate on it,so when i put my bands on theyre too low so i needed to cut down my boots this caused them to fall off.I think the answer is either use the eyelet thingy or get a pair of dedicated twin boots
                                             Nikk

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nikk @ Oct. 06 2003,16:51)]Are we talking about homebase or similar for the eyelet cutter?
Maplins do a kit for about £3 IIRC.

Tom

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Hi Nikk
As I said, I got mine from my local hardware store, but I guess Homebase may do them - just go in and ask. Otherwise, if you haven't got a local hardware store (you know, somewhere that sells locks, nuts/bolts and general DIY bits and pieces), then as Tom says Maplins do a kit - just make sure they are brass.
HTH
Martin

·
Registered
41 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I would tend to stay away from Homebase they charge like wounded Rhino's, much cheaper to try a hardware shop (half the price).
Dave.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Aquaholic
The reason i want boots on is so they will stand up themselves, I find them much easier to get on and off that way as well as being able to rest my back before and after diving by doing what everyone else does sit them on the side of the rib
             Nikk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

Thanks all
 I got the eyelet kit from the local chandlers,burnt a new hole in my wing with a hot rod ,hey presto a new eyelet for my bands.All i need now is new boots(on order) and for this damned wind to die down so that we can all get back in the water.
             Nikk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts