YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I have a query...the weight of steel tanks in Europe (I live in Lux) seem to be a bit heavier than in the UK...

Sounds daft, but my faber 15l is about 2 kg lighter than the same in the uk.

Also, on the continent they will not entertain alis...which is fair enough unless you want a nice little side mounted pony.

But then again...I went into a dive shop in Nottingham and asked for an ali and he said "going out of fashion" or words to that effect.

I would love to hear general rants and raves....and also where do I get a side mount 3 or 5 l ali...(also to double as a helium laugh game at the pub)...

Graham

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Out of fashion? Makes sense to me. If you have neutrally buoyany stages, it doesn't matter how many you strap on, or any of that, and won't throw your rig out of balance. I used a steel 3l for a safety factor on stops last week, and had no trouble, but an ally would have been better.

Which dive shop was it? There's quite a few, and some distinctly better than others, and many with hard and fast rules they've been diving by for the last 20 years...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

It's just the opposite in my neck of the woods. The shops all seem to be getting small Ali cylinders in and they're going out as fast at they're coming in. If only I could find a place that does EU stamped Ali 80s...

Chris

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tibbs @ July 12 2003,18:15)]It's just the opposite in my neck of the woods. The shops all seem to be getting small Ali cylinders in and they're going out as fast at they're coming in. If only I could find a place that does EU stamped Ali 80s...

Chris
Here in Ontario, aluminum tanks are always available. Some times more than what we need. What attracts me is what you said, about Fabers in EU are about 2kg lighter than in UK.

I've got 12's Faber here and they are lighter than similar once from EU but on the other hand they can only fill them up to 180 for the first 4years and than 160 bars. Pathetic, if you ask me. Next set will be 232 bars. I wonder weather is the thickness of the wall?
?

Lawrence

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

I was talking to the bloke at my local shop about this over the weeknd.

According to him, 12 litre or 15 litre 232 bar steel tank weighs more in Europe because it has simply developed as a matter of taste and demand over here. He knows of but will not/cannot get the lighter version that is available in the UK.....to get the lighter Faber I would have to get this in the UK and bring it back.

The operating pressure is the same but I can only imagine that the wall thickness is greater just to give it that extra weight.....I didn't discuss that with him.

Graham

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
bump

Any new views on this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts