YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

In May I'm off to Oban and have a seat booked on Alchemy's hard boat to do some wrecks in the Sound of Mull, infact one wreck is even further than that, It's west of the Isle of Mull, I'm told its about a 5 hour round trip altogether... gulp!

So.. do you all remember me talking about a twin set that I had the opportunity to buy off my mate? (twin tens) well he's offered them to me for £140 and they are now looking very attractive, (even tho I'm oh so skint...) He's even told me that i can borrow them for the Oban trip to try them out if I want (and I do) but I have a bit of a concern and therefore a question.

I'm concerned that tens will not be enuff to do the two deepish dives without a fill, and if that is the case, and working on the assumption that there will be many times in the future when I'm out on a boat doing a two dive day without coming back inshore, then I'm feeling that this is NOT the way to go, and that maybe twin 12's are an absolute minimum.

I'd like to know how other twin 10 users manage this scenario and now realise that twin 7 users must either have to have TWO sets of sevens or not go on such a trip.

Alchemy are providing a second bottle to each diver so it looks like I'll have to dive with my single 12 and then use Alchemy's borrowed 12 for the next dive.

It's a pity, as I would of liked to take Jimmy's twins and use them for the full holiday...  

Can anyone give me a better insight into what 10 ltr twin set users usually do, when so far away from a compressor.

Cheers all
Dave.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

If you wanna Dave you can borrow my twin 12's for the trip, use the 10's then the 12's and see how you go...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Whoa!! wattaguy!!!  

Andy, that would be great, although be careful mate, its the first bank holiday weekend in May, so theres a very good chance you'll be doing some diving yourself.

I'll give you a ring over the weekend and see what you think, but I'm mega impressed, thanks again mate. :biggrin:

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Bank Holiday....weekend....diving....are you pissed?

Catching me diving with all the trogs on a weekend anytime, let alone a bank holiday, no chance pal, I'd rather pull my own teeth.  Besides, I think I'm working all weekend so no problemo there.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Well cheers mate, will speak to you over the weekend... erm... BTW... aren't you diving with us trogs in Abbs on a bank holiday weekend sometime in May??  ;)

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

eeerrrrrrr... quick backpedal, think dammit, you need an excuse horsley!  no.. its gone.

Actually I think I rather was thinking of a weekend at Stoney, lovely place.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Imported post

Dave
just a word of advise mate. The sound of mull can be a pretty unforgiving place an trying twins there for the first time is`nt a good idea, unless you`ve tried them before I`d take a dip in stoney or somewhere with calm conditions to be on the safe side to get used to them before going to Oban

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Sound advice Paul,
Altho I wouldn't think of just dropping into that big scary ocean without trying things out first, my intention was to try out whatever twins I was gonna borrow, re-evaluate my weighting, trim etc etc and have a pootle about to see how things were...

But your right, I think it might be difficult to get Andy's tanks for a weekend or two BEFORE I need to borrow them again for Oban, so with that in mind, i'm thinking I might use my mates pony which he has also kindly offered (Divers are such nice people eh?) and strap that to a 15ltr Faber I've just scored.

What do you all think??

BTW the 15ltr is part of a whole load of kit that a guy I know is selling.... he's just giving up... just like that... a brand new Otter dry suit too..... he will not dive again full stop!!!

But I'll put the list of gear in another post, so look out for it if anyones interested or knows someone who might be

Best regards
Dave.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Not for Oban I'm afraid Ammers, cos Jimmy sold his tanks the next day, for quite a bit more than he'd offered them to me... why did I f*ck about so long.. :banghead:
and it wasn't really feasable to borrow Andy's (Big thanks there Andy) cos as Paul rightly said, I'd need to get used to them first, get the weighting right and so many other aspects that would require a good few dives with the full setup first, and as I'll be going out on a hard boat into the Sound and beyond straight away I'd have no chance of getting some shallow shore dives in first, so it's probably better to stick with what I know..... I've swapped my 12ltr out for the 15ltr so I've gained about 600+ ltrs with an average fill, which I'm quite pleased about, altho I would of liked a redundant air supply what with diving out in that scary water and on those nasty wecks, <ahem> sorry I mean wrecks...

Going back to my original post, there was a guy the other day, picking up his twin tens from the dive shop I was at, and so I asked him what he would do in the scenario described above, and he seemed to think he could do two good wreck dives with his tens without a fill (I was slightly sceptical about this altho he obviously knows his own rate of consumption) but he said he'd seen people decant from a 300bar bottle into tens to recharge them a bit.. now I'm not sure if this is feasable, or I just looked like I had a penis attached to my forehead and he thought he'd have a laff..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Imported post

II've been diving 10's for about 18 months now, although do dust off the 15's now and then when my back, and the kitting up seat is up for it!  Never hada problem with two dives off them, although tend to carry a 7 stage, for deeper 'tech' dives.  Having said that, my experiance of diving the sound is one deep, one less deep on the way back.  Only you know your SAC.  I would take a look at the maths then make the decision.  I would say that diving 10's is super comfortable and they are far easier to handle in and out the water than all the 12's I have used.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the advice JP but the post your answering is now nearly a year old... :biggrin:

I've moved on a bit since then and as it happens I'm running twelves these days but also hope to gather up a nice set of sevens sometime too.

cheers mate
Dave.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Imported post

bit new to this malarky! 7's for a day trip I think are ideal if fills are around.  Why lug it if you don't need it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

You were given sound advice!!!!!! ;) Try them some where with easy access at first. Especially if you are borrowing a set of 12's too. When I fist got my set up I jumped in a 6m deep pool and I found that I needed to set them up higher and drop some weights. In I hour I had that sorted :yelclap: than my next dive was down to 22m and so on. Just a reminder you will also be improving your consumption rate after a few dives, as you get used to things.  

Regarding your question - doing two dives on one fill?
>>> I suppose depends on how deep you're going and how long you are staying. Another factor is buoyancy and suit inflation. :snorkel: I had seen people over here, going for a 30m wreck dive for 10 minutes bottom time come up wait the SI and do the second dive with the same tanks.

If you ask me, I like to leave 1/3 in my tank or at least 50 bars. Some others don't give a s....t. :drown:

Take care

Lawrence

·
Registered
480 Posts
Imported post

Used to use 15 & pony for 2nd dives, but it proved to be too much of a PITA swapping from twin cam bands to single cam bands between dives.

Now I have twin 10's for deeper dives (& 7l stage if required) and a set of twin 7s for second, shallower dives. I will also use the 7s when instructing on club training dives.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Imported post

Dave mate you could try doing what ive found works, take another cylinder (i use an 18 ) and a decanting whip. after the first dive top up your twins - you dont get a proper fill but its enough for a second shallower dive.

or just use twin 18's!! gotta be enough for 2 dives in that!!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

LOL!!! guys guys... I posted that first post in March of last year, it's been sitting around for ten months until JP tripped over it the other night... I'm all sorted these days fellas and I own twin twelves now, wing/bp etc etc but thanks for the advice

Duncan me ol'cock wotcha upto? are you still doing dotty every weekend?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Imported post

Nah... not every week! had christmas off!
heard its been closed again, anyone know for sure??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts