YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Mild curiosity and bordom has resulted in my musing over an idea and pondering the following question.....

Is there any easy way of rigging twin 15 indies?

I ask because I've two 15l tanks (16.8kg tare each, so I'm mad even thinking about this) but need to use them a lot as singles (plus pony) when playing at doing my DM - the place in question is not against supervising an OW course with twins, but I fancy walking in the future :biggrin:

So, short of bands, are there any other ways? Or will I be spending my nights rigging/derigging for eternity?

Oh, this is once I can afford a wing of course.... Ooooh Halcyon.....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Dominic on 12:26 pm on June 12, 2002
Have you thought about the new 22 litre cylinders, with a 7-litre sideslung? ;)
<span =''>

Lightweight! What you want is £570 - that will get you a twinset of 18's :shocked: complete with bands and MDE isolation manifold at Mike's

http://www.mikesww.com/octsale1.htm

Now that's more like it - 36l of gas!

Now then Dave, the 15's aren't for sale at the minute (unless andy will take one in exchange for two ten's?) but may be soon - I'll let you know.

Any sensible answers to my first question btw? I was thinking welding a couple of metalsub's back to back with a mounting for bolting to a plate in the middle.....

(Edited by Driftwood at 1:24 pm on June 12, 2002)

(Edited by Driftwood at 2:08 pm on June 12, 2002)

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

My 12l twinset isn't banded. It DOES have a manifold at the top and I use a twin boot to hold the base in place. I use Scubapro tank bands to attach to my backplate (via holes I've had drilled in). Once set up, it is REALLY sturdy and, at a pinch, I can remove the boot, remove the manifold and fit a single valve to turn them into singles.

Can send pictures if that helps any.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

S'okay I know what you mean - I've seen the setup for sale on the diverwarehouse website. I'd need to change the tank valves to use a manifold (hence why I'm talking about indies) and I can't be bothered to pay out and do that when I'll be hopefully moving to Oz next year.

Tanks and valves would be useless - valves need burst disks and tanks would have the wrong stamp......

Bummer

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

i used to use indy twin 12's, with the AP Valves cambands.  Bit of a pain in the arse to take off the wing.  I got something called Tiger Gear from Robin Hood Watersports, shich is basically two lumps of metal, one atached to the cylinders and one atteched to the wing which come apart easily and with minimum fuss.  I got them 2nd hand, new it is quite expensive gear but worth it I think.

look at http://www.robinhoodwatersports.co.uk/Tiger_Gear.html

·
ex diving instructor
524 Posts
Imported post

Hi Drift, easy way is just buy a set of stainless bands, set on your tanks, once in the right place, paint a line above & below each band. Then its 2 mins to remove/replace.
I've just sold my twin 15's manifolded & bought a set of 20's for a bit of serious deep playing.
When are you coming for your nitrox course? Have also got a nice shiny new Halcyon wing in stock in just your size :)
Andy

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Twin 20s??? Have you NO respect for your spine??

When do you start twinning up J cylinders? ;)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Andy,

Whereabouts are you exactly, I've been trying to find a website for you for ages, it also looks like my darlin of a wife has come to realise that her hubby really must have that twin set no matter what, so I'm very interested in a Halcyon 55, BP/Harness etc.... :biggrin:  do you have a set to try on?

Best regards
Dave.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Andy,

Whereabouts are you exactly, I've been trying to find a website for you for ages, it also looks like my darlin of a wife has come to realise that her hubby really must have that twin set no matter what, so I'm very interested in a Halcyon 55, BP/Harness etc.... :biggrin:  do you have a set to try on?

Best regards
Dave.

·
ex diving instructor
524 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave,
       I am based in Sedbergh, So Yorkshireman at heart, my website is www.dalesdivers.co.uk.
And yes I have a 55lb in stock with plate & harness, if you need to dive one, you can try my rig,( with twin 12's, or the 20's if you like):)

And yes Dom I respect my spine, boats only, or some bugger else carries them for me....

Andy

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Andy

I'm getting the same problem as always.. an Error 404 using that link.  strange...

Is anyone else having a problem using Andy's link??

Andy
I think I'll have a drive over to see you soon, and I'd really appreciate trying out your rig if thats ok... what are convenient days for you? weekends?

·
ex diving instructor
524 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave,
Will get my web technician on to it.
Weekends are best, but can skank time most days....
call me 07702819381
Andy

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Will do, cheers Andy

I think/hoping I'm off to Scotland this weekend, the weather might be favourable but if not I'll come over your way and call into see you, shall ring you first tho.

Regards
Dave.

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Davey, where abouts in Scotland are you thinking of heading?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

St Abbs of course :biggrin:

Do ya fancy it, I think I might have 2pints talked into it, and hopefully we can drag Driftwood out once more, plus anyone else who might want to turn up.. if theres enough interest I can call up and try and get us all on a hardboat for a dive, with Cathedral Rock for deserts.. wotcha reckon?

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

I'll see what Bryan (dive mate) says, as I have agreed to dive with him this weekend already.  He's from Edinburgh way I think, and if he's up for it I'll let you know.  It's not very nice or very fair to agree to dive with him, then when he says "no, I don't want to do that", for me to say "well I am, tough - find yourself someone else this w.end."  Not cricket!  Will let you know when I know myself.  Dive safely.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Dave Williamson on 12:53 pm on July 4, 2002
Andy

I'm getting the same problem as always.. an Error 404 using that link.  strange...

Is anyone else having a problem using Andy's link??

Andy
I think I'll have a drive over to see you soon, and I'd really appreciate trying out your rig if thats ok... what are convenient days for you? weekends?
<span =''>

OK - error is becuase there is a full stop included at the end of the URL (look carefully). The web address for Dales Divers is <a href="http://www.dalesdivers.co.uk

Good" target="_blank">http://www.dalesdivers.co.uk

Good</a> luck

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Cheers jay ma boy.... didn't see the stop... these tired old eyes dontcha know......  ;)

Are you up for a visit to hodge then??

1 - 20 of 69 Posts