YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I see Red people
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
Is it worth Twinning up in the Red Seas on a liveaboard?
A few of us are going over and we were on to TB and they will provide them for an extra charge so some of us are thinking about it whereas others are saying they will just go with 15 litre tanks

G

·
its what I've done in the past

I've generally taken a pony with me and used a 12+pony on the normal stuff but twinned up the 12's on the deeper 35m+ stuff

if you get a chance to dive the Rosalie Muller you'll certainly appreciate the extra gas

EDIT: depends on your itinery though

·
Registered
162 Posts
Indy twins on my last two RS trips.

Saves taking a pony.

For me, has actually worked out CHEAPER, as there is a rental charge for a 15, but not the 12s.

YMMV

David

·
"we sit at the bar sipping ice and white Russian"
408 Posts
defo we used them on hurricane...glad i did racked up a fair bit of deco as some hammerheads came late into the dive...those on singles had to surface we satyed down for another 20 mins with them...superb...GO TWINS DEFO !!!

·
1/2 of slut divers
271 Posts
I'm on Get Wrecked on Typhoon as of this saturday. TB made no extra charge for twin 10's, even if there had been an extra charge I would have paid it.

·
Makes most sense when narked/drunk
331 Posts
I did the RS Wrecks a few years ago. Did the whole lot on a single 12. Looking back I would have like a few extra mins on some dives, but most of them were fine, plenty of time. Just moved up to an Inspiration, so that won't be a problem next time!:teeth:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
what will your buddies be doing ? If you have a specific buddy for the trip then it makes sense to be on similar rigs for simplicity.... also if you are on twins and he's on a single running out then that could be annoying (or you could be the one low on air..)

personally I'd say indi 12s are fine as it doesn't cost anything and it's no great deal reg swapping in warm clear water. Mmmm warm clear water :)

·
"we sit at the bar sipping ice and white Russian"
408 Posts
yeah me and my buddy dived together on identical kit...twin 12s...well worth it.....loved every minute of it

·
246 Posts
Last year on the MY juliet all but three of us were twinning, unfortunately i only took one set of regs so it was a 15ltr for me. Certainly on the deeper and internal penetration dives it would have been beneficial.
Just as a matter of interest, is diving with twins in the red sea considered tchnical diving, and therefore the 30m limit is not appliciable ???.
Regards
Roger

·
Wreck, reef and muff diver.
118 Posts
I dive with twins (2 x 12 litres) in the Red Sea on Nitrox every time now. I book through TB and they don't charge extra for the second tank and never paid any extra for Nitrox over a single cylinder. I use a Buddy Tekwing which will take twin tanks and does not need stainless steel bands.

Wouldn't dive any other way. Do it, it doesn't cost anything more but gives extra gas if you need it and a redundant supply - I dive with independant tanks.

Concerning the above post. I did my Deep speciality course on the Rosalie Moller on twins and went to 40m. On my last trip I went to 47m. I don't think diving twins is technical, my config is no different from a single tank and pony except its a big pony (12l). How do you define technical? Nitrox? Trimix? deep? deco?

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
i hope to be hireing a twin set later in the year when i dive out of sharm !

just take my wing and back plate and regs of course!!

although im torn between the northern routes and the more adventurous

southern dive sites ! maybe get some relaxed diving in this year

best wishes leigh :teeth:

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
I don't think diving twins is technical, my config is no different from a single tank and pony except its a big pony (12l). How do you define technical? Nitrox? Trimix? deep? deco?
Do you dive like that though...i.e. only plan to breathe one tank and breathe it till you reach your minimum reserve then end the dive? If you do then I'd agree but I'd also say that it's an exceptional way of carrying a "pony".

If you breathe, or plan to breathe, the gas from the second tank, then it's a different kettle of fish requiring some planning over how you are going to swap between the tanks and what your buddy will expect of you in an OOG situation. I would suggest it starts to get a little more technical at that point.

Rgrds
Mal

·
118 Posts
No, I breathe from both tanks taking them each down by 50/100 bar between switching regs. I only mentioned the Pony in regard to similarity in configuration - sorry if that caused confusion.

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
This is only my humble opinion..... but if you are doing 4 dives a day, most of them will be about an hour long so do you really need twins? Maybe for the Rosie Moller if you want to stay more than 20 minutes, but otherwise, after 10 trips, I have never needed more than a single 12 on any dive and always come up with plenty spare air.

For the large -lunged, a 15 l should be ample.

But this is only my opinion and others may prefer twins.

On a lot of the dives, the briefing may state "I want you back in one hour" - just so the boat can move again to the next site. It depends whether you are an air pig really!:teeth:

·
118 Posts
Hi Vonny, It's not just a matter of being an air pig or not, although being a videographer/photographer I do use more gas than the average in getting the shots I want, but it's also about have a redundant air supply. Take my last trip to Sudan for example, the guides were happier and more relaxed about me diving solo on some of the dives, so that I could get the shots I wanted. That's not to say I was out of contact with the rest of the group, but we were dispersed somewhat at times. I didn't have a buddy dependent on me and I was free to move around as I wished. I feel safer on twins, all my buddies have been comfortable (and many preferring to dive with me because of that) and all the guides have been very happy with my config. We were in the company of many sharks (including a Tiger and hammerheads) and that meant going well past 40m to get to them. Nearly every dive went over an hour, though none went into deco. The extra tank was very reassurring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts