YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Help time folks,
Right got the twins which I bought second hand via e-bay home and tried to mount them (10's 232 - even though I said I was going for 7's) onto the wing,
1) Setup with bands at standard 11" spaces except the ABS plate on a TekWing has 7" centre holes, what's the ideal height for the top of the tanks in regards to the top of the wing, then I can adjust bottom band to suit.
2) Bolts not long enough, where do I get some longer ones, do they have to be S/S or will B&Q and plenty of grease work
3) With the correct length bolt i.e. they protrude through the wing and into the b/p and thence into me. Do I just get them to be exactly the correct length and then cap them off as it seems to me if I get them a bit too long and wing nut them I'm going to be getting two bolts/wing nuts in the back.
4) I assume the bolts which clamp the bands are supposed to come from the back of the setup into the wing and not the other way around i.e. when I undo the wing nuts the twins can be removed from the wing whilst still held nice and clamped up tight
5) Any one got any pictures etc.

Cheers for any help.

Matt

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

This should be fun, watching all the clever dicks bombarding you with "you don't to do it like that, you want to do it like this". This thread will run and run.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Doug: any bets on how long it will be until someone tells him to get a Combro backplate?

Matt - there was a thread a little while ago where stainless bolts etc were mentioned - think Dom was involved but it wasn't the one about p valves - might be worth searching the archives.

PS I almost bid against you for a twinset on ebay last week - wonder if these were the ones?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

Matt - my answer to your questions in order,

1.  This is a little bit of trial and erro to ensure that you get the correct trim.  I would recommend a little playing in the pool etc to decide upon the best height.  (Once you find it make the cylinders with a marker in case you take the bands of at anytime.

2.  I wouldn't recommend buying dedicate 'twinset bolts' as a dive shop will kick the arse out of the price.  Pay a visit to a chandlers and you can pick up a length of 8mm SS studding and SS nuts, washers and wings nuts for less than a fiver.

3.  A little bit of trial and error to get the correct length and then as you said, cut them off leaving just the right amount.  A touch of weld on the nut on the 'blank' end makes things a little easier.

4.  I find this the easy way.

5.  Sorry - don't have any pics, i'm sure others have but will go out to the garage and take some if you need them! (and before i start getting advice not to store my kit in a garage over the winter - it's heated)!!

I look forward to reading all the other answers - no doubt Halcyon do the best bolts etc.  

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

Get a combro backplate

you think I am joking.

DD

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Tom
you wouldnt have wanted them, they were rubbish  

I'll have a look in the archives to see what's been writen.

Thanks for not out bidding me.

Angus, thanks for a sensible answer, unlike some of the others,  

I know I 'need' a combro but until I'm sure I can do a shut down I dont see the point as indie 10's fit the Tek nicely and I'm not going to buy one so I can flog it in three months for half price to you lot.  

Chandler in Central London - Hmm wonder where, Google I think.

Matt

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

I'll bring you a couple of nuts,bolts, washers to Stoney on the 21st if you want, poncing about with threaded bar is bollocks (you sound like Mdemon, trying to save a quid) if you have a S/S shop 2 mins from your house, like i do.

Watch how other people have their kit set up and copy all of the good ideas.

Combro backplates -pah.  A backplate is a backplate, 8 slots, 5 holes, that's it.

I'm sure somebody will tell you to invert them but before you dismis the idea, it has it's advantages.
Other divers will see that you have a flexbility problem and assume that you are disabled and will help out in any way they can.  

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Feb. 08 2004,18:27)]Chandler in Central London - Hmm wonder where, Google I think.
Ocean Leisure (same branch as the dive shop) at Embankment tube;

There's also one in Holborn round the corner from Oasis leisure centre, next to a Restaurant / Bar called Freud's (I think), on a road that leads down to Covent Garden. Does the area I'm talking about sound familiar? (can't be arsed getting the A-Z out)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ Feb. 08 2004,19:00)]I'm sure somebody will tell you to invert them
Let me be the first - "Do it! do it! do it!..."  

Welcome to the world of loadsa gas Matt, it's a good feeling  

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tom @ Feb. 08 2004,19:05)](can't be arsed getting the A-Z out)
Turns out I could be arsed after all. North end of Monmouth Street i *think*

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Bolts - MartinS has a set he doesnt need and has kindly offered to lend/sell/give me them so they look sorted, but if not Tom I know the area, dont worry about the a-z I'l find mine if I need it, hopefully Martin's will do the job nicely.

Steve - I cant do that until a) I have longer hoses and b) some valve guards, and as Mrs B has just bought the twins for my birthday I'm going to have to wait until our Anniversary before asking for guards  

Doug, cheers mate I'll let you know what happens in the next couple of days. Like the idea of looking impaired and getting all that help. I actually do like the idea of inverts - I think its more sensible, that should start some debate  
 going.

Nice club this isnt it?

Matt

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Speaking of twins and putting it all together....

Had the first play with my new (well, had the twins 18 months but as singles) 12's and OMS bungee'd (well, almost all bungee'd with eh Mr Crampton???  
) wing.

Great fun but did raise some questions (Andy H was on hand to answer most and sort the dodgy OMS feed hose which was leaking due to a perished o-ring)

1) Plate has sharp edges which is not good for bungees (eh Mr Crampton???  
) so I've thought of nicking some Tygon tubing from work, slicing it open and sticking it on with silicon. Yes I could file it but thought I'd seek comments on this idea.

2) Where d'you keep the bungee knots? Inside, outside or benid the plate?

3) How much are new bungees? (eh Mr Crampton???  
)

4) Does anyone else get friction burns from their crotch strap?

TTFN

PS Couldn't resist Dave

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Feb. 08 2004,17:40)]
<font color='#000080'>I'll try and be helpful, but I get the feeling I'll just be opening some other cans of worms...

1. Get a combro plate. OK, just set the bands to fit the plate, I'd suggest you look at how high you have your plate on a single, and then set it up for the same height on your twins. Gives you a starting point, if you need to adjust for vlaves/trim later on it's up to you. The S/S plate is by far the easiest option now.

2. B&Q bolts will rust in 2 dives in fresh water, 1 dive in the sea. Not even worth bothering with. Go to a little chandlers shop. Make sure you get nuts and wingnuts in high grade S/S too, There's nothing worse than not being able to take a set apart. Try Here For S/S and brass fittings etc. They're cheap enough, and take cards.

3. Either mushroom nuts or you can get dome head nuts from the above link. If you measure it right you should be ok, but you might want to just leave the wing permanently attatched if you do. Not a major inconvenience. Failing that, you could use an attatchment system like the SDS stuff which can be nylocked on and left, leaving you to remove and replace your twins. Again, easier to get a combro plate and use wingnuts.

4. It's important to kee you twins clamped up tight enough, or the manifold is goign to get stressed as you move it etc. I can see your line of thinking, that's not the way to do it.

5. No pictures sorry, no digital camera.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well let me answer your comments Drifty,

1) your bungies were trapped between your cylinders and the back plate. You knots were on the outside of your wing and so the short length between the knot and the section trapped by the plate, ment that it was not free to slide through the outside holes on your wing. I'll buy you a couple of bungies to make up.

2) As for crotch friction burns, I'd have thought your crotch was well lubricated, with that leaky drybag you have!! making you look like you'd wet your self

3) I'd actually just file the sharp edges off like Mr Hayhurst said. Glueing a plastic/rubber tube cut open, to the outside edge of the backplate will only lead to trapping the bungies again. Their trapped as it is between the cylinders and the plate. I think your bungie snapped as a result of the combination of sharp edge and being pinched between the plate and the cylinder.

I'm not Twinset (and perls) diver yet but I do seem to remember someone stating that the OMS bungies should be ditched in favour of something else (rubber shock cord perhaps).

·
Registered
130 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts