YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I am looking to upgrade to a 12 liter twinset, ss bands and MDE manifold. I currently dive with a single 12 and 3 liter pony and carry 12kg of lead using a DiveRite Trek wing. The wing has 18kg of lift.

OK - I am sure these questions have been asked before, but here goes again:

1.  Will the Trek wink be big enough for the twins in terms of lift (other kit config will be the same and I will only be diving twins in a drysuit)

2. Will I be able to lose some of the lead (more tank weight therefore less lead ??)

Your comments/help would be appreciated - thanks

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

Hi kirky
1)  
I take it you are going to use steeltankas and if so the Jacket is abit on the small side as far as lift goes. I have a Jacket with 22 Kg lift and it is only stated for 10 liter twins. You cant take the lift of the drysuit in to acount because if you do end up with a failure of your suit the jacket will ave to tke it all.

2)
Find out if the tanks float when they are emty as some do in witch case you will have to add weight and not lose some.
in any case do a weightcheck with allmost emty tanks to stop unwanted surprises.

Dive safe
Michael

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

kirky, a guy I know is selling a set of banded, manifolded twin 12's cheap, plus a wing/bp/ etc... email me for more details if you are interested
regards
Dave.

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the info folks. Just out of interest - for those of you that dive 12L twins, which Wing/how much lift do you use??

Thanks again

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Buddy Tekwing, although I will soon be changing to a Dive Rite classic.  Nuff said!!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

To know the difference in weight underwater for various cylinders, go to http://www.oneandoneis2.demon.co.uk/DiveWeb/cylbuoy.xls for an Excel calculator
(Plug plug ;))

The absolute minimum lift a BCD must supply is the weight of air the cylinders can contain - since being correctly weighted means being neutral with empty cylinders with no air in the BCD. Extra buoyancy is for things like mouth above water, excess kit, excess lead to keep you warm, etc.

A 12L cylinder holds about 3.5kg of air, so the absolute minimum lift you need is 7kg - so you have 11kg surplus lift to use as you see fit

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Dave - please post/send details of the twinset that is up for grabs

Cheers

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

OK you bastards - and I mean that in the most polite manner possible!! -, after this weekend at Hodge and Wast, I'm now gonna commit to going the twins route. Tabbing through the tunnel at Hodge for an extra 12l single at halftime can be negated by having it on your rig, right? Twins it is then. I think a chat with La Hayhurst is next on the agenda.

Like a I said, you're all bastards (not you Kirky), fancy brow-beating little old delicate, impressionable sensitive me into this peer-group-pressure type gig. I hate you all and look forward to getting webbed-up soonest for a 'twins-wet'YD-gig' type scenario.

Bastards.

Oh, and dive safe!! ;)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Thats ma boy... .welcome to the dark side, just be aware that once you have a twinset on your back the Hayhurst crew like nothing better than sneaking up behind you and turning off certain valves, which let me tell you, can age a person very effing quickly!

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Bren - before you order from Mr Hayhurst give me a shout.

We might get a discount if we order two sets at the same time.

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Gavin/Bren

Also interested in 12 litre twins (I have been advised to get Faber tanks), banded, MDE manifold - maybe cheaper again if we can order 3 !!

Best quote I`ve had to date excluding O2 cleaning is £450 from Mikes of Warrington. If you can get cheaper please post here !!!

Cheers

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Gavster & Kirky,

Just been on to Andy Hayhurst re a tub order and Kirky - don't do anything until you've spoken to Andy!! He's got much better prices than the ones you've been quoted for tanks!!

I've already go three O2-clean 12 litre tanks, so I'll just need the twin bladder, the black-plate, the manifold and the bands. Put your shopping list into Andy on TEL: 07702 - 819381 and let him show you the prices he can put the sets together for.

Good luck - I'm sure we can get a top deal!!

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

Thanks Bren - will call Andy tomorrow. By the way - which wing are you going for/got ??

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Kirky,

Halcyon wing, and the back plate and harness that Andy recommends (comes with it). You??

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

Currently got the DiveRite Transpac II plus trek wing. The wing has only 40lbs of lift and the feedback has been conflicting regarding whether it will be enough so may have to upgrade (!!!)

Whats your view on this - I am not currently getting into full Tekky stuff but would like the comfort of more air/less lead (currently on single 12 + pony)plus potential extra bottom time/less deco time on nitrox

Choices bloody choices !!!!

Will talk to Andy tomorrow - may have to get the twins first and slip in the wing upgrade etc on the quiet so Mrs K doesn`t cause a stink !!!

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Kirky,

When you speak to Andy tell him that if it helps the price then Gav will go a twinset. Faber/MDE etc ... I've already got a Halcyon wing and plate on order but the Yanks can't make 'em fast enough.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Kirky and Gavster,

I have no intention of going 'techie' for the foreseeable future and just want the ease of a wing and gas capacity of a twin-set. Indeed, a wing, twins and a Nitrox ticket could, nowadays, be considered rather mainstream for divers that have put in years of diving - like say, beginning to take underwater pics - i.e. just the next step in their diving career.

I won't be doing 97 metre wrecks and 12 hours of deco for anyone......certainly not in the foreseeable at least.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts