YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've written a PADI DISCOVER TWINSET DIVER DISTINCTIVE SPECIALTY COURSE which has now been approved for teaching by PADI International. I am selling the outline for this course on eBay for anyone who wishes to teach it.
eBay.co.uk: PADI Discover Twin Set Diver Specialty Course Manual (item 270140310968 end time 11-Jul-07 16:13:56 BST)

It's a great course to teach, and there is definately a market to be tapped (and lots of kit sales too.)

any questions, please ask.

Matt

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 x classroom presentation (1 - 2 hours)
1 x confined water session (3 hours)
2 x open water sessions (2 x 1 hour)

There are a lot of skills involved - basic shut downs, equipment set-up, buoyancy etc.

Cost for the outline is £99.
Expected retail cost....£125+ (somewhere close to me offers it for £175!)

My credentials....
PADI IDC-Staff Instructor with over 300 dives on a twinset (and not died yet!). LIke I said in the ebay advert, it has been written following DSAT TecDeep guidelines.

few thoughts....
Lots, but mainly dirty!

Happy Diving

G

·
I think i'll stick with the TDI course that I recently went on. Think they can teach me far more than PADI can. And no I'm not bashing PADI, I originally learnt to dive with them, just feel that for technical diving PADI isn't the way forward IMHO.

Corinne

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
The other 2 have been binned.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I think i'll stick with the TDI course that I recently went on. Think they can teach me far more than PADI can. And no I'm not bashing PADI, I originally learnt to dive with them, just feel that for technical diving PADI isn't the way forward IMHO.

Corinne
exactly - and with our very own Mark Powell too..

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts

·
Registered
24,810 Posts

Corinne
***not defending anythign here****
It isn't written by PADI, just approved by them. therefore, it is a card for doing something which there are several technical instructors already doing.

Just to light the blue touch paper here.... if a technical instructor who was also a PADI instructor had done the same, merely written down and rebadged an 'introduction to twinsets' course, got it approved by PADI would you feel the same?

I never did an intro formally, so i don't know the answer to this, but is there a cert at the end of the 'introduction to twinsets'? This one may just appeal to those who like the card.

[takes cover]

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
PADI Twinset Course

I think that there is a place for the PADI twinset course to act as a stepping stone to more advanced training. For those people that have recently moved to twinsets having some skills training must be a good thing. Speaking as somebody who has also written one of these then there are a lot of core skills involved including buoyancy, OOA and basic shutdowns. I would agree that IANTD/TDI/GUE training would offer a much more comprehensive basis but some recreational divers want a familiarisation before embarking upon such a course. The PADI course does give divers a chance to experience such diving and hopefully make them a little safer as they have some understanding of why and how a twinset can be utilised, and why they need to then look at developing their skills further either via DSAT or one of the other agencies. How many twinset divers are there out that are not fully able to dive a twinset safely or have little experience. The only thing that I would add is that this is one course where students do need to be able to demonstrate masterery of all skills- it is not the automatic signoff that some courses seem to have become.

As a PADI Instructor for the last 7 years and twinset diver for the last 1000 dives then I would strongly encourage people to develop their skill base via further instruction.

As for marketing the materials good luck to you but I think your struggle to find a market for them on this forum or on ebay.

·
Makes most sense when narked/drunk
331 Posts
As a PADI Instructor for the last 7 years and twinset diver for the last 1000 dives then I would strongly encourage people to develop their skill base via further instruction.

As for marketing the materials good luck to you but I think your struggle to find a market for them on this forum or on ebay.
Totally agree with both these points.
I don't think there is a market for selling this on ebay, and I think its showing this particular Instructor in a very bad light.

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
First off, i'm not anti PADI, or any other agency to be honest. There's plenty of choice to suit most people. What i do feel uncomfortable with is that PADI is predominantly a recreational agency who do not teach deco.

Now i'm going to make a massive assumption here. People who buy twinsets, generally want to increase there bottom time, yet would still have no deco training at all. If you do stick within the recreational depths as laid out by PADI and within the time limits of the Recreational Dive Planner, why on earth would you need a twinset when a single cylinder with possible a pony would suffice?

I started my training with PADI and moved onto twinsets to increase my bottom time, and not necessarily the 'safety' factor of having extra gas, or am i barking up the wrong tree completely?

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
which has now been approved for teaching by PADI International

Matt
not even going to get into the the bad form selling thing.....

but one question do we get a padi card then ? Or can any instructor teach this course and give out a card..and am I being more dumb that usall ??

David

1 - 20 of 390 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.