YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An idle question for twinset divers. Do you have a set of regs dedicated to single cylinder usage or do you scavenge bits from your twinset regs for holidays etc.

I'm sure it's one of those things that doesn't have a right or wrong answer and nothing to argue about. Just wondered what other people do.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
I wouldn't call it scavenging. I don't have separate sets though just add a second, second stage . Just like a primary with an Ocy.

·
Just A Diver - Nothing Special
478 Posts
Sipadan said:
Do you have a set of regs dedicated to single cylinder usage?
Yep - it's a luxury rather than a necessity though. Some people opt for a H-Valve / Y - Valve arrangement on thier single cylinders (cheaper than a new reg)

like you say - no right / wrong answer.

·
478 Posts
He was specifically asking about holiday diving, so H / Y valves probably don't factor.
True - but some twinset divers dont just dive singles on holidays ;-)

In any case - there's always the option for the beaver converters - if you dont want to split your regs - not sure i'd be happy with one though.

Best

Nick

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Yup.

My original single cylinder regs were Scubapro MK25/S600s bought new. These have now been added to, via ebay, by a MK25AF & R390 for twinset diving. Again through ebay, I have cobbled together another MK25AF/R390 combo for single cylinder diving...except I forgot to get these serviced in time for my recent holiday in Tenerife so I ended up butchering my twinset regs :embarassed:

HTH

Helen xxx

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
yes, 2 tx 50's for the twins a tx 50 for a single rig 2 tx 50's for stages and a DS4 [with a tx50 2nd stage] for a pony................................I like tx 50's ;)

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
I have nearly two sets. One for the twins and one for my single tank. The only bits I share are the two second stages, all the rest is dedicated. So depending on what I am diving, I just screw off the second stages and put them on to the necessary set.

It sort of came about like that cause I had all he hoses and a Mares 1st stage I liked for my single tank, but I don't like the Mares 2nd stages that came with it, so I use my Apeks second stages.

I use the same regs for my stage and I do for my pony.

I don't do the holiday diving thing, but do change between a single tank and twins depending on the dive.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I do - I have Scubaros on my twins and oceanics for single. I do a fair amount of single cylinder diving though, teaching as well as on holiday.
I got new regs when i got the twins, and kept the oceanics as a conscious need. i didn't want to be messing about with regs too much.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Mk25's with S600 & R390 for Twins and DS4 & xtx40+R390 for singles, having said that I've just rejigged the Mk 25's, so I can take the S600 on holiday for singles use:redface:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Yep...me to.

Xstreams on my twins...XTX200/50 on my singles.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
That's actully an advantage of rigging indie twins, with no long hose.

Left post has reg that gets necklaced over rt shoulder + occi on left +
SPG left + Inflator left = Bog standard single rig.

On rt you have single reg + SPG + drysuit.

Result = left post rig is bog-standard single rig, left untouched and no
faffing.

This method of rigging makes a lot of sense for those moving to twins,
as it doesnt vary a great deal from a standard setup.

So you end up with a holiday or single reg and a twin reg, with no need
to change anything or hit a spanner, ever.

Me personally: DS4's + Tx40's on twins and DST + Tx40's on single.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
<shrug>
Have singles reg set (BSAC Instructor and lend out)
Twinset regs (used ice diving this year and lend out)
Stage/bailout regs (hope not to need them but they do go diving)
Dive rebreather.

·
Go Big or Go Home
1,865 Posts
i have a set of aqualung legend i use for single tank diving and used these for all the training i did then as i moved onto twins i built up my kit gradually (cos its a fortune)and after reading threads on here i got DS4s and XTX50/40 combo

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Regs

Mk 25 scubaflows on the twinset and the same on my single setup. Plus mk 2 scubaflow on my pony/stages. It just saved faffing about.

I could not be bothered with changing hoses around. Plus I happened across a very good deal on some regs.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies. In the past, I've bastardised regs from twin to single and back the other way. Currently I have dedicated regs. Since everyone else has posted what they use, I use Cyklons for the twins (rubbish breathe IMO, but supposedly reliable) and Mares Abyss for the single.

Having a dedicated 'single' reg does seem a little extravagant, especially as I dive indies, so the 'left' reg is almost a standard single set-up, it just needs another 2nd stage which I can whip off the 'right' reg.

·
478 Posts
Sipadan said:
it just needs another 2nd stage which I can whip off the 'right' reg.
I've got a spare prosub DX500 going begging - if you want to make an offer :teeth:

Obviously need to get it serviced

1 - 20 of 31 Posts