YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently written a description of this workshop for a club who want me to run it for a group of their members. I thought it would be a useful description to post here for anyone that is interested.

The twinset familiarisation workshop is designed to give an in depth view of the various option for setting up and configuring a twinset as well as associated backplate, harness, wings and regulators. It also covers the basic skills required for using a twinset including correct weighting, distribution of weight, buoyancy, trim, dealing with out of air situations and performing shutdowns.

For divers who do not yet have their own twinset we can focus on the various pros and cons of each type of setup with a view to ensuring that you buy the best configuration for you and to avoid making expensive mistakes in buying kit that is not suitable.

We have a number of different twinsets, wings, backplates and harnesses so that you can try out some of the various options and practice some of the in water skills in advance of getting your own twinset.

For divers who already have their own twinset we cover configuration and setup but focus more on the in water skills. These include;
- Ensuring you are correctly weighted when using a twinset
- Buoyancy control in a twinset
- Distribution of weight
- Improving trim position to increase buoyancy control and decrease effort and breathing rate
- Performing a shutdown in the case of a free flow or leak
- Dealing with an out of air situation
- Buoyancy control during descent, bottom part of the dive, ascent and safety/deco stops

Performing a shutdown is one of the key skills required when using a twinset equipped with an manifold and isolator valve. If you are unable to shutdown a twinset then the advantages of a redundant supply of air are removed. For this reason it is essential that twinset divers know how to correctly perform a shutdown. Many twinset divers have never attempted this and many other have attempted it but know they would not be able to complete a shutdown in a reasonable period of time. Others have tried it initially, had trouble in reaching their valves, and have changed to an inverted setup or the use of remote isolators in order to be able to perform a shutdown. Whilst there are some people for whom a shutdown is possible due to medical or kit restrictions the vast majority of people can reach their valves if they are shown the correct technique.

In order to perform a shutdown there are 6 things that must be correct in order for you to reach your valves. We look in detail at each of these 6 considerations.
- Personal flexibility
- Dry suit/undersuit flexibility
- Twinset/harness positioning
- Position in the water
- Position of your head
- Technique for reaching back

Other aspects can also be covered during the workshop are fining techniques, DSMB deployment, more detailed equipment configuration and many others.

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can run these midweek at Wraysbury on a one to one basis at any time to suit you.

The only planned weekend course I have currently is Sun 13th May, again at Wraysbury.

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts