YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure were to post this, i didnt want to post in the rebreather section as i wanted the two POV.

Okay, bit of background. This will all be a few years in the future as i feel i need more experience first but, at the moment I dive singles and I find my dives (depth) are being limited by my gas, not by experience (or lack there of.)

In the future I would like to dive with a rebreather. But my question is this, should I buy a twinset first to experience the depths that are currently inaccesable, or go for it and do a rebreather course and save the money I would spend on another cylinder, valve, regs etc etc.

Would it be strange to go from single to rebreather?

I hope that made sense!
And thanks in advance for any replys.

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
I am sure someone who knows what they are talking about will say if this is so. But, as far as I know, the first rebreather course you have to do (Mod1) limits your depth and time.

I believe you can only use air dilutent and are deco restricted as well.

So, if you feel you are ready for a rebreather then I don't think you need previous depth and deco experience before using one as you will be restricted till you get enough hours up after Mod1 before you can move on to the next level.

(Note: I don't dive a RB and have never been trained on using one - i.e. I could be talking rubbish)

Reactions: Dan Wilko

·
Like a Pie-eating Ninja
680 Posts
If you are thinking of going to a rebreather already, you would be really wasting your time buying twins etc. You would be better off doing your CCR course as soon as possible,getting comfortable with the rebreather and then slowly working up to the type of diving you want to do

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
from a personal view if i would have thought about it i would have go to rebreather straight away however i have spent to much money on twins reg's etc

but possibly next year with Gary or thats the plan anyway

Graham

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is backing up what I was thinking, I just didnt want to turn up to the course and the instructor asking previous dive experience, and I have only done 40ish on a single.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is backing up what I was thinking, I just didnt want to turn up to the course and the instructor asking previous dive experience, and I have only done 40ish on a single.
well thats good! but you will need your nitrox as well first then you are off

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So all i need is a nitrox cert.
is there a minimum amount of dives?

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Hum.

I would go for the twinset first, and do a couple of seasons on that.

Why do you want to dive a rebreather? I don't mean that rhetorically, but you really do need to answer that question to your own satisfaction. What are you reasons for choosing it? If it's more time at depth, then if you're currently diving a single then a twinset should give you a few hundred dives diving new stuff you haven't done before.

If you end up going to a rebreather in a year or two, then you can sell your twinset, and worse case you'll lose £100 on it, (assuming you don't keep it for an air bank). And let's face it, £100 is less than half the cost of a new set of cells, which you have to replace every year.

It took me around 18 months from first starting to think about a rebreather to actually stumping up the cash for one. If I was you, I'd spend that time by doing some enjoyable diving on a twinset.

Janos

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, that is the way I had originally thought about doing it. And raised some questions i need to ask my self.

Thanks

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
I went from diving a 15l single to twins for about 15 dives then said b****cks to this & went & did my rebreather course on a borrowed classic ,mainly to see if I liked it before shelling out lots of money .
If I had my time again I wouldn't bother with the twins but it is not for everyone ,we are all different .
The minimum dives when I did mine (18 months ago) was 100 under TDI .I actually did my 100th dive on the course ! On the back of my cert card it says that I am limited to 40metres with no more than 5minutes deco @ 6 metres .You do need advanced nitrox although this can be combined into the mod 1 ,but I would recommend doing it way before so you do not have to learn something else at the same time .
just my 2c

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
I was in a similar situation but already having dived twins for a few years, I would do a MOD 1 course with the breather/instructor of your choice using their stock, that's what I did and it helped me to decide that at the moment a unit of my own is not what I want.

It's a cheaper option than ordering one, waiting months for delivery then doing the course to finding out it's not for you.

Good luck with whichever path you choose.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
I went the conventional single twin set then CCR rout. I didn't consider CCR at the time I went twin set but after doing a fair bit of deco deep stuff on OC twin set i did feel it would give me an advantage if i had to bailout to OC deep no w I dive CCR.

Now after a couple of years on CCR I realize this is rubbish. These days when i go OC I am nervous as hell. You don't feel comfortable OC once your used to limitless gas diving. You start worrying about breathing rates and gas reserves. Its horrible.

So looking back on the past three years and my transition from OC to CCR My advice is if you can afford it go CCR immediately.

1 : you will develop far greater skills on the CCR than i did before going deep

2: it will save money in time and training

3; Ultimately CCR is the future of deep diving (past 50m) so get started on it now and don't waste time on OC.

An OC diver on our boat now is a limitation and a liabuility.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
....My advice is if you can afford it go CCR immediately......
Feck me, l agree with Chasey.

l think the problem with doing the OC trimx route first is that people then rush to get back to do the diving they were doing before they bought the RB.

l wish l'd bought one years ago.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Feck me, l agree with Chasey.

l think the problem with doing the OC trimx route first is that people then rush to get back to do the diving they were doing before they bought the RB.

l wish l'd bought one years ago.

Pure statistics M8 If i post enough crap your bount to agree with some of it sooner or later :D

ATB

Mark Chase

PS you tap turned up today it should be ready tomorow.. OH hang on... today. I must go to bed.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Reactions: MATTBIN

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I would go for the twinset first, and do a couple of seasons on that.
Well that's exactly what I did and for me it was probably wrong.

As several people have said it's down to the reason you want to go diving.
My diving comes from my interest in Nautical Archaeology and that was taking me to deeper wrecks and longer stays and the twinset just doesn't cut it for that any more.

I would ignore the idea that twinset diving is an 'apprenticeship' we go through. It's just something you have to unlearn and more kit to clutter up your shed. CCR diving is different. You need to learn a lot of you procedures and re-practice them over again before commiting to them. Not having done them on OC doesn't really set you back so learn them in the way you want to use them.

Now I have a set gassed up and ready to go. If somebody rings up with the offer I can't refuse I can grab the kit and go. No worry about the mix for the depth, no worry about the deco plan, no worry about getting fills just go.

OK so then I'm seasick the whole trip and miss it all but that's a different matter.

Reactions: ardhill

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I agree that in terms of skill it's an unnecessary step but in terms of diving common sense it is worthwhile. Spending some time doing twinset diving is a very good way of getting the right mindset for more advanced diving and it's much harder to get dead on a twinset if you f**k it up.

There is no skill that you can carry over from twinset diving that is particularly applicable to a rebreather but you have to weigh up whether or not you want to be cutting your teeth at depth on OC or CCR. At the very least, when a RB packs in, your an OC diver again so you better be comfortable at depth on OC.

Cheers,

Stuart

Reactions: gobfish1

·
Team Peanut Butter
2,306 Posts
CCR diving needs a different mind set the sooner you get on ccr the easier it is. you wiil have less preconcieved ideas plus you will not be in such a hurry to extend your depths if are not taking a step back from what you had been diving on OC. If deeper diving is where you want go use the right tools for the job CCR.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts