YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Calling on Daz, Andy2Tanx and all the rest of you Inverts,

Following on from the"Y-pillar" thread, I've done some experiments and found that shut-downs are likely to be tricky, mainly because the valves will be closer together than on a twinset and so right behind my head - a bit tight of a reach for comfort. It shouldn't be a problem with an inverted cylinder though.

So, I've got a single 15 cylinder, inverted. A Y-pillar at the bottom.

From the right side I imagine I'd run my main DV and suit inflater. These hoses would run up under my right arm, the suit inflator running up to the centre of my chest (nice and tidy). The DV routeing is a little less simple, but we'll come back to that.

From the left side I'd have my contents guage and console (as failures are more likely to be with my main DV and so I'm more likely to be shutting down the right side I thought the contents guage should be on the left), my BCD inflator (which would run up my back, attached to the cylinder somewhere, and then over my shoulder) and finally my octopus, again running under my arm.

Now, back to the DV routeing.

Andy, I remember that you use a long hose for your main DV, accross your chest and looped around your neck. I presume the rest of you do much the same. If you were donating air you'd pass this onto your buddy and use your back up.

How do you route the back up? I imagine it can't come straight up under your armpit as then it wouldn't sit comfortably in your mouth. Perhaps someone could post a schematic diagram of hose routeing for inverted cylinders.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

If it's any help I've got my primary, BC hose and SPG off the left hand side with Secondary and suit inflate from the right. Long primary hose goes up the channel between the two tanks with the excess tucked into the bungee of the wing, everything else is on the outside, the secondary is necklaced and runs from the the old yello apeks octo hose & is just long enough to be viable, it comes up the front of the rig not under my arm.
HTH
Steve

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Well mine has changed a bit now I have got a couple of long DV hoses and a custom LP hose for my BC inflator.  But when I first inverted I had the following.

Drysuit inflator under right arm.  

BCD inflator (Standard length) again under left arm and looped down onto inflator (It was too short to go over my shoulder and down, but under the arm worked and I could still lift the hose to dump).

Alternate (Standard octo length hose, 36" ? ).  Under left arm and necklaced around my neck.  (I found it was just about long enough, maybe just a little awkward, but you could put an elbow or swivel between the hose and 2nd stage to assist with the hose routing).

Finally 5ft (not 7ft, my preference) around the right hip up across body to left shoulder around behind my head and in my gob.  Long hose was always wrapped last so it sits on top of any other hoses, so if you do donate it does not get caught up.

Slight changes since,  4ft hose on alternate so I can bring it up over my left shoulder and necklaced (or behind my head and in on the right side) I use 2x sidebreathers so it will not matter which side I bring it in).  Drysuit in under left arm now.  Custom LP hose off right hand post up side of cylinder behind neck and down to LP inflator.
5ft primary Long hose as before.

If you get one long hose you can probably make do with the rest of the hoses, you might need an elbow on the alternate though just for comfort.

FWIW,  I still use the 5ft long hose with singles on holiday and standard hoses for everything else.

I might see if I can draw it out but I am by no means an artist (Well not that type).

HTH
Daz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts