YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just got back from diving Tynemouth with Andy2tanx with Deep Blue Dive Centre and what a superb couple of dives we had. Called in at the shop to hire a set of fins and get a fill - within 5 minutes, they were offering to lend me a speargun to try (didn't take it Steve W!) and before we knew it, we were on their RIB for the day.

Dive 1 - The Pandora. Nice 20m wreck, very broken up but a lot to see. Planty of sealife, vis quite good and supposedly some brass still on it (didn't see any). 55 min dive with 8 mins deco stop before back on the RIB and back to shore for a SI. There were a great group of lads and lasses from Robin Hood sharing the RIB and ... well, I'll leave the decription of the eventful SI to someone else!!

Dive 2 - Dived the Oslofjord (16m ish) - troop ship and a liner (2 wrecks on top of one another). Superb rummage dive (came up with some tiles from the liner and a handfull of ammuntion rounds (which should clean up nicely). One of the other lads also got a brass shell casing and Andy nabbed a clay pipe. These wrecks have a lot more potential for rummaging!

Anyway, superb day out and planning to maybe go back next Sunday (more to follow)

Thanks to Scott and the others from Deep Blue - a more accomodating set of lads would be hard to find and a dive operation I HIGHLY rate to anyone looking to dive Tynemouth.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

I was talking to some people at Abbs today about diving the Tyne next weekend with Deep Blue, Marco fancies the place and I've never been there even though it's only up the road from me (tsk tsk) so I'm kinda keen too, so.. if you can organise something Jay I'd definitely be up for it, it would be nice to be out with yerself and 2pints again... it's been a while eh

Talk soon mate
Dave

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Seems to be no end to the bullets from the oslo, the Uni club dive store had bucket fulls of them sitting around for years, ended up giving them to the Army to dispose of.

Not sure what you're gonna do with that ammo Jay but once it dries out its pretty unstable stuff.

My Sunday, puts dive kit in car, gets in car, front offside coil spring snaps
 I wouldn't mind if it was a banger but it's not even four years old! Been a few years since I stripped down a Macphearson strut (pause for innunendo...)

Oh well... at least it happened on my driveway not belting along the motorway, phew...
Chee-az
Steve

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ July 13 2003,21:21)]Not sure what you're gonna do with that ammo Jay but once it dries out its pretty unstable stuff.
Gonna soak them in acid for a few weeks in the garage to clean off the casings - that should neutralise the powder inside too (bearing in mind these have spent 60 years in salt water too). Good job your car broke down as we never made it to St Mary's Island (we did try and phone though!!) so you'd have been a little like Billy No mates in the carpark waiting for friends who never came!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Like Willo said, it's been more than a while since the 'Four Pistolaroes' were out on a wet together, so let's large it!

Just cleared it with Field Marshall Fiona and Sunday's a 'good-to-go!' in the Tierney camp. I'll meet-n-greet you chaps either at site or can pick up en route - let me know the script so I can plan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Imported post

I was one of the guys from Robin Hood at Tynemouth today. I think more should be said about the SI. I see no photograph has been published as promised. I've told my wife the story and I need confirmation. (I'm the one who got the girl to come up from the beach). Incidently, my wife thinks that we are all a set of perverted anoraks. What do I do with these bullets?

Tynemouth was excellent today - good diving, good company and plenty of underwater scrapyards to lose yourself in.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

As my Irish cousins will insist up on and afirm:

"ah, Jaze, Tim, you're a good man yourself...!"

Tim, never met you, sound like decent chap, get your arse on the wet next weekend - you'll be meeting Tanx and Jay (who ya met today) and the lesser-spotted Willo and myself.

I take it we're doing the Oslo again?? Be churlish not to?!

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Hi Guys

The ammo all comes off the EUGENIA CHANDRIS, the most easterly of the two wrecks.

Ron

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (timsaville @ July 13 2003,23:17)]I was one of the guys from Robin Hood at Tynemouth today. I think more should be said about the SI. I see no photograph has been published as promised. I've told my wife the story and I need confirmation. (I'm the one who got the girl to come up from the beach). Incidently, my wife thinks that we are all a set of perverted anoraks. What do I do with these bullets?

Tynemouth was excellent today - good diving, good company and plenty of underwater scrapyards to lose yourself in.
A candidate for the YD 2004 calendar apparently!

·
Concreting the world!
767 Posts
Imported post

Bren,

Thought you would be more likely to see this here than on DNet.

If you want to go wreck diving off the Tyne you need to speak to Bob or Paul at the Marsden Dive Centre in South Shields. The boat leaves from Mill Dam in South Shields and the cost is £30 for 2 dives. You can contact them on 0191 - 4277280. Marsden Dive Centre

There is plenty of decent sized stuff in the 30-40m range if you're into that kind of thing. I'd come out with you but I'm at work on Sunday  

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Imported post

Well done Heads Up  

I think you should publish the close up as well.

Better not show this to the wife, my right arm is a bit too close to the girl's  (Amanda?) right breast.

Tim

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Simon,

I'm in contact with Willo in our efforts to find spaces for this weekend and I think he's got Marsden on his list of 'to contact'. Thanks for thinking of us though mate!

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I'm up for a diving offa Marsdens "Moonshine" (MDC now my LDS) but Deep Blue are back on my blacklist (again) following finacially motivated (and wholly inaccurate) interpretation of the new cylinder sticker regulations; up yours! you capitalist dogs

Citizen 'W'

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

funny that steve m'boy.  first impressions from the chaps at deep blue was good for me and Jay, even to the point of loaning personal equipment off them...

still, one mans meat an all that!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Now-now Tanx,

There's been enough flesh recently on this forum, so kindly put your 'meat' away and less of your ****-eroticism!  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I've had a bit of an on/off thing with that shop over a fair few years, in some ways they're great (good stock, 10% instructors discount, good fills), in other ways they can really  p*** me off.  

My buddy Steve Miller(band) did some of his PADI stuff with them and a red sea trip too, the only bad thing he had to say was that several times he booked up for a Farnes trip, then on the day they changed the venue to Tyne Wrecks, after the 3rd  time he stopped trying to get a Farnes gig out of them.

According to Millerband, Female trainee divers at that shop have often gotten "the bonus package" if you get my drift, so yer piccies don't surprise me  

·
Registered
29 Posts
Imported post

Hoy!  That's my Sister!!!!  

Excellent diving, Excellent SI, Respect to Tim for excellence in charming & Smooth talk. Thanks to Scott for moving the boat deeper to enhance the "wet look"

Fantastic Day.
Lets go again!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts