YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Now this may all be complete b**locks, but can anyone confirm the existence/ identity of a U-boat somewhere off st abbs - probably 8-10 miles out (apparently) in about 35+m ......call me sceptical, but I would like to confirm that it does exist before booking onto the trip....

anyone help?

Ali

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Only one I can find that sort of fits the bill is (WW1) U-77 which it appears to be about 3.5 miles from Dunbar - anybody got any more exact details? ie exact position, condition, depth, etc etc

A

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Alistair

I have a very good other source, i will dig out and check his reasearch spreadsheets tomorrow and try to give you some direction. HE IS VERY,VERY GOOD.

Regards

Paul

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Hi Ali

She is believed to be SM U 77, an Imperial German U-boat of the Type UE I ocean mine-laying class, lost around July 1916 (date of actual loss and reason are unknown). The wreck lies in a depth of 40m, lowest astronomical depth. However she has not been positively identified to date.
Reference: 56 03’ .706 N 002 29’ .635 W (WGS84)

Cheers Ron

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Found a snippet of info on the loss of the sub -

U77 launched 9th January 1916  and then sunk by British Navy on 7th July 1916.

Now that I know it exists and is almost intact, sitting upright on a sandy seabed, has anybody dived it?? reports??

Ali

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Alistair

You could try contacting East Lothian Divers (SSAC) in Dunbar. Max is the DO. He has mentioned uboats in the past to me.

Adrian

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

SM U 77 was a 755-ton boat that had an extremely short career, because she was lost with her crew on the very first war-patrol. Under the command of Kapitanleutnant Erich Günzel and carrying a crew of thirty-three, the boat left Heligoland on 5 July 1916 for the purpose of laying mines of Kinnaid Head and possibly in two or three other locations off the Scottish coast. British warships later found at least some of her mines off Kinnaid Head and swept them clear, but U 77 was never seen, or heard from again.

Cheers Ron

·
Registered
25 Posts
Imported post

The U boat 3.5m north of Dunbar is almost certainly U77, being the only one of the class lost anywhere near the area. She was listed as lost cause unknown in the North sea, so was not claimed by the RN as a sinking.

The Uboat is sitting upright with the bow clear of the bottom and the hull buried completely just aft of the conning tower, with the wreck angled upwards. The boat is definately a UE class from the single offset torpedo tube at the bow and the mine shafts in front of the conning tower. The stern is reported a short distance from the bow. The outer hull cladding has rusted away leaving the pressure hull visible.

The reason for loss is probably one of her own mines, not an unusual cause for German u boat mine layers in WW1.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>Alistair

Mind that Rob Beal doesn't wind you up on this U-77.
He had me going about the Kyarra wreck a couple of months ago.
Cheers
Bob.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

The U77 has a great example of german engineering which certainly amused me (most things do at 40+m). The window wiper on the conning tower still moves - not particularly amazing in itself, but it has been down there for 87 years!

It is a great dive, I got all the way round it and only clocked up 15 mins deco, max depth 42m I think. IIRC, quite a short slack window and you don`t want to be hanging around there when the tide starts running!

Paul

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

Cheers Paul, Looks like we've got a boat full for a mid-august dive on U-77, will check the wipers are still going and give the paintwork a clean as I go round

Ali

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

Is that with Gary and Pegesus by any chance? Top notch skipper, we're up there in september with him, not sure the experience level will be up to U77 though sadly!!

Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts