YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I am considering the purchase of a film camera.  I have strong views on digital cameras, at the price they are currently at anyway
.  I have looked at topics discussing the oly C5050 which looks very nice, but id rather explore the idea of a film camera.  Basically I used to do photography a few years back developing b&w negatives and all that, and id like to get back into it. I have joined a photography society and will have access to a dark room and cheap film.  Although more work i think id find it more rewarding taking pictures in the traditional sense and appreciate the photos I take more than I would than using a digital camera. So does anyone have recommendations for a decent SLR camera I could explore on the second hand market.  Choosing a camera seems to be a bit of a minefield, not to mention having to find one suitable for housing.    

Cheers
Steve

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

As with all these things it's a question of how much do you want to spend?

I've just bought a second hand MX10 with strobe and lens on ebay for around £140 (which I think was cheap btw) and am very happy with the results both in the UK and abroad. (I'll put some photos up once I'm back at work and have access to a scanner).

I too wanted a film camera, but for a different reason. Basically I'm cack-handed and am bound to flood it at some point and ruining £70 quids worth of kit is upsetting but bearable whereas flooding a £400 digital camera is going to put a serious downer on any trip.

I'd keep an eye out on ebay and the classified ads here. A lot of people are upgrading to digital, and getting rid of their film set ups. I really like the MX10, but if you want something a bit better than the MX10 a mate of mine down the club picked up a Nikonos system with loads of lenses and strobes and bits for around £400, which he is also very happy with.

Laters,
   Janos

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I've recently bought a second-hand Sea & Sea MotorMarine II-EX with 1:2 and 1:3 makro lenses, 20 mm wide angle, viewfinder and strobe and, although I'm still very much a learner, am beginning to get some nice shots. However, I gather you're after an SLR camera and housing rather than an amphibious camera. That'll mean a lot more money, of course, even if you buy second hand. I have a number of friends who are serious u/w photographers, of whom one is professional and a couple semipros. They all use various Nikon or Canon cameras, most of them Nikon.
PS Anders Scherstèn, on these boards, is a good u/w photographer and will be able to advise you better. Click on "Members" at the top of the page and scroll the pages until you find him (about page 5 or 6), then e-mail him (NB He doesn't often browswe here, so there's not much point in sending him a direct message).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Well Im not sure on price range, but id say 400-500 on the second hand market if thats possible. But obviously cheaper if theres sommat that does the job just as good.  I really haven't got a clue what I can get for that money, but I want something decent as this is going to be another hobby that I shall be pursuing, I don't like upgrading.  I would rather stay clear of the sea and sea range as this camera would be for surface usage as well.  I want something that will take very decent black and white photo's and usable underwater with housing.  

Ah thanks for that john, ill look him up.

Steve

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I might be wrong but I doubt if you could get a good second-hand camera and housing for 400-500. I paid 500 pounds here in Sweden for the MM II-EX and accessories and people on this board thought I'd done well. Do contact Anders, though. He'll definitely know more. He is Swedish, by the way, but is doing research at Bristol Uni, speaks excellent English.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Steve

I just bought an Oly 5050 but first considered the route you are. I am sure you will go your way because everyone to their own, but I chose digital due to price for, not against.

I have an excellent SLR for film BUT a housing is over £600 for it. Secondhand is a big risk for cameras/housings as you never know just how well it's been treated till it floods at 30m! From what you have said you probably want good quality, MX10s etc. are just the starting point of cameras, not that their not descent, but the people I know who are into SLR underwater cameras are talking in the thousands for a new set up and £500 for what they "no longer consider good enough" and sell of second hand - without lenses etc.

Good luck, I tormented myself for years, quite literaly.

James

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (narkedat50 @ Dec. 27 2003,21:18)]MX10s etc. are just the starting point of cameras.
True! I think that's why Steve wants a decent SLR camera and housing.
PS It's also true that you have to be careful when buying second hand but there is some good stuff out there. Several of my friends have bought very good second-hand cameras and houses.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Yeh true, I did mean 400-500 for the camera not the housing, which I know can cost as much as that if not more. But as I said im going to be doing land photography so id be doing that first before id consider taking it under-water. id just want something bearing that in mind long term.  Then again maybe i should start with a nikonos i dunno, they good for surface stuff too?!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

You can use the Nikonos on land, as you can the MM II-EX. Actualy, I believe Anders has a Nikonos V and various lenses for sale, if you're interested. Talk to him!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Steve, I dived yesterday with two of my photographer friends, both of whom use Nikonos, one the F90, which is no longer made. This raises an important point if you decide to go down the SLR/housing road. It is probably safest to buy the camera and housing at the same time as otherwise you may have difficulty finding a suitable housing as your particular camera has been discontinued and the housing manufacturers have stopped making housings to fit it. As I'm sure you know, production of Nikonos cameras has also ceased but Nikon have promised to continue making spares for the Nikonos V available for a long time owing to the large number sold.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

If you want to take pictures in UK waters, DON'T, get a film camera. If you can afford to bite the bullet and buy digital just now, then do it. You can look at the, quite frankly, crap you "WILL" take, and delete. Once you begin to figure out how to take good 'photos then buy a wet-film camera. The picture quality is better on 35mm, but you'll spend a fortune taking/developing shit pictures before you even know if the subject is in the frame, as opposed to being able to delete the crap!

Peter

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Dec. 29 2003,13:15)]The picture quality is better on 35mm, but you'll spend a fortune taking/developing shit pictures before you even know if the subject is in the frame, as opposed to being able to delete the crap!

Peter
Not necessarily, Peter! I pay less than £7 to have a roll of 36 developed and the pics put on a CD (I don't bother about prints). I can then edit the images on my PC (crop them, remove any backscatter etc) and print any that are worth printing on my own printer if I want to.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Imported post

Hi Steve
just a quickie to say that I have recently gone digital with an Oly5050z and housing using a Nikon SB105 as a slave flash and have had pretty good results. This means I have a Nikonos-V with 35mm lens and also Sea & Sea 20mm lens for sale if you are interested. Give me a shout
Bill

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

I've sent you a pm Bill.  My dad has bought himself a oly c220, muttered something about barclaycard points scheme, alright for some tut
. So hopefully ill get to explore the virtues of the digital camera, see if I can convert myself. And possibly even get my ugly mug on my avatar (then again).  

Anyway this camera seems a bit plastic(ky) and very light.  Just out of curiousity,  what are the buoyancy characteristics of a housed c5050?

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

No idea, haven't had it in the water yet, but on land it is very solid and feels like quality, not like it's younger sibling the c220.

James

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

My buddy has a 50/50 and in the housing it is positively buoyant. However the housing comes with (or you can buy?) a block that screws into the bottom of the housing and makes it negative, which he uses.

Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts