YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Right then,

After fumbling around at the bottom of Connistion and Ullswater in the dark with a flooded torch thats not very powerfull at the best of times (then having to use my little back up!!)  have decided to spend my christmas bonus on a light sabre. Any Suggestions?? I dont really want to spend any more than £300 but want it to be future proof and be able to be convertable to HID. Been looking at the Green force Pro Head range. Anyone tried one? Can the bulb be converted to HID later??

As light sabres go does anyone have any comments as to pros and cons of different umbilical light systems?? If I`m going to spend that much on a ruddy torch I want it to be good enough for whatever deep stuff I do for the next few years.

Basically whats good and whats not? What sort of Watt level do I need to really be able to see the light and blind my buddies? Whats the big deal about HID is it worth the extra money?
??? Do the bulbs cost loads and break quickly??

·
Registered
102 Posts
Imported post

Hi Ben
heard about your exploits in ulswater and coniston of andy, ulswater is a shithole, yes ?

Anyway if you are going to spend £300 on a torch why not go a little further and buy a hid ?. I have a pro 6 with 18 watt head, you could go for the pro 4 with 10 watt head, price you would have to ask andy arround £500, dont let the price put you off because you wont have to buy another torch in your life. Bulbs are a little expensive a kit, with bulb and o rings is around £100 this would be needed after around 1000 sparks or when you break it. They look fragile but mine has had some hammer and still i havnt bust the bulb.

Ive had torch after torch and spent too much money on them go for a good halcyon and you will never buy another.

regards Simon

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

I hope what you heard of andy wasnt to bad!! Deep diving mixed with Night Diving in the middle of the day, with the feel of cave diving!!!!!!

After Wast Water I thought all the lakes were nice and clear. Oh well all good skills. Feel comfortable now in dark deep puddles of mud!!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Do a Brenner (but don't forget about it!) and get a Kowolski from Lighthouse Diving

Push the boat out another £40 and you can get...

32111 - 12100-D-5 Speed - Silver - Spot - 25/05/02 - 9 - 339

Serial No. - Model - Body Colour - Reflector - Warranty Start - condition (nearly new) - price

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Make your own - it'll cost you ~£50.  Much cheaper if you break/lose it too!

For the record, I forgot to lock the front piece of my DIY lamp on our New Year's Eve dive, and not only the light, but the 50w dichroic bulb flooded.  And it still worked for the full 45mins. And is still working! Talk about robust!

If you want to spend big boy money though, few people who go to HID go back to halogen...

John

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Hey Willo!

Whatever happened to those plans of your after seeing you with "Airspeed Press"'s finest down at Andy's? Thought you were going to cobble together a light with DIR spare parts and DIY casing?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Still keen mate, I truly DO need a canister light but just never got around to sourcing all of the materials required as of yet... I'll keep you posted. ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Imported post

HID al the way.  Brighter longer faster better!  As for bulb breakages, the construction does not rely ona filament, so are inhernetly more robust against shock.  More money, but worth evry penny at depth.  Had no end of proble with Green force mark one, but after much hassling and stamping of feet was replaced entirely by lumbs.  never had a problem since.  And they are SO stream lines.  Loose the ability to use as dump weight (as per halcyon) but I eat bacon sanwiches and drink beers so DIR is not high on my list!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts