YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
If it does the job to the required standard with the appropriate skills etc, I don't think its looks are that important. Underwater is not a fashion show! the camera itself is apparently quite highly rated, and olympus housings generally do the job.

It is probable that an Ikelite would look somewhat less cumbersome.

having said that, this kit is on my list if the HMRC comes up wit a decent rebate this year.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Looks rather chunky, but if you want a big camera then sure it'll be fine. But if you're like me and think it's nice to have a few pictures, but want to be able to throw it in a pocket and forget about it when you're not using it, then probably not for you.

Out of interest, is that huge lens thing on the front a fixed part of the camera? Looks more like an add-on lens, so maybe the camera housing itself is smaller than it looks in the picture?

David

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
Finally the housing for the new Olympus SP550 is out... so what is the verdict to someone who might or might not be considering it.. (vs the 7070 and the fuji f31....)
Don't care what it looks like, I'd be more worried about the lack of flash connector.

Jason

·
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!
1,751 Posts
vs 7070

-Not quite as wide angle (28 vs 27mm)
-SP550 doesn't shoot RAW
-SP550 is xD only versus xD & Compact flash on the 7070 (xD is vastly overpriced)
-Can't see how you could add a WA lens to front - you said you wanted one.
-Looks like the PT-037 might be the same sort of detatchable port design I told you was a bit suspect on the PT-027/PT-020
-As said before, no external flash connection

Part of the uglyness (the white bit) is just the flash diffuser and is detchable.

Not quite sure what use 500mm is going to be underwater. I always had the 7070 at full wide and very rarely zoomed.
Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts