YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Well I was just having a think about a few of the UK places I'd like to dive and explore this coming year 2004.  Some I hope to get to in the YD organised trips others, well maybe if someone else is interested or a potential YD gig.

1. Bo Fascadale ( W. Scotland)
2. Skerryvore and maybe the wreck of the     Labrador(W.Scotland)
3. Casnwennen Rock Bardsey (N.Wales)
4. Pembrokeshire again,anywhere in this area including Grassholm or the Smalls.( S.Wales

Thats about it for the time being , sure theres more to follow.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (parahandy @ Dec. 14 2003,17:25)]1. Bo Fascadale ( W. Scotland)
2. Skerryvore and maybe the wreck of the     Labrador(W.Scotland)
Nearly the same;
Bo Fascadale,
Coll + Tiree,
Moray Firth,
Outer Isles,
West coast of Skye,
Anywhere warm.

Peter

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

I'm with you Peter, but I'd also like to sneek in the Akka in the Firth of Clyde, The Farnes and I must admit to being a little intrigued by St. Kilda.

And obviously somewhere warm too.  

James

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

i'd really like to dive the scillies - has anyone been there? i'm down for my first ever scapa trip in september, i'm so excited! i'd love to come on some YD gigs but i don't know if i'd have time/money - i'll probably have to miss out on at least one club trip as it is.

here's a thought - does anyone know any areas of the country that have lots of good shore-diving sites? my boyfriend is now the proud owner of an ex-army landrover, and we're thinking of taking it away for a week's camping/driving about/diving somewhere nice (we went to cornwall in september). can't really afford lots of boat diving so places with pretty, easy (and free) shore diving would be good. i'd like to go to the outer hebrides but it might be a bit far!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ Dec. 15 2003,13:31)]here's a thought - does anyone know any areas of the country that have lots of good shore-diving sites? my boyfriend is now the proud owner of an ex-army landrover, and we're thinking of taking it away for a week's camping/driving about/diving somewhere nice (we went to cornwall in september). can't really afford lots of boat diving so places with pretty, easy (and free) shore diving would be good. i'd like to go to the outer hebrides but it might be a bit far!
Lots of good sites round about the Scottish Sea Lochs Kate. More than enough to keep you amused with a different site for a week or so within 1 1/2 of each other.

Peter

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Dec. 15 2003,13:40)]Lots of good sites round about the Scottish Sea Lochs Kate. More than enough to keep you amused with a different site for a week or so within 1 1/2 of each other.
cheers, that's a good idea..... never dived in the sea lochs... am i to conclude that they have all the nice life-y stuff of the sea but in sheltered conditions?

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ Dec. 15 2003,13:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Dec. 15 2003,13:40)]Lots of good sites round about the Scottish Sea Lochs Kate. More than enough to keep you amused with a different site for a week or so within 1 1/2 of each other.
cheers, that's a good idea..... never dived in the sea lochs... am i to conclude that they have all the nice life-y stuff of the sea but in sheltered conditions?
Yup1 You can dive them whenever you want. No problems with tides or owt. Loads of different sites all the way up the West coast. Nearer the time if you get back to me I can give you better instructions on how to find/dive them all if you wish!

Peter

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ Dec. 15 2003,13:31)]here's a thought - does anyone know any areas of the country that have lots of good shore-diving sites?
<font color='#000080'>Hi Kate,

try www.diveinthepink.co.uk all the shore diving info you could wish for there.

Enjoy.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Dec. 15 2003,13:56)]Yup1 You can dive them whenever you want. No problems with tides or owt. Loads of different sites all the way up the West coast. Nearer the time if you get back to me I can give you better instructions on how to find/dive them all if you wish!
thanks peter, will be in touch if the plan becomes reality! cheers, kate

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Kate

We had a club trip to the Scillies about 5 years ago.  We drove down though the night to Plymouth (sorry just checked it was actually Penzance), caught the ferry over in the morning, I think we had booked a container for all our kit and went as foot passengers leaving our cars at Penzance.

On arrival we loaded all our bags and kit on to a trailer which was then taken to various B & B's for us.  Can't remember what we did with our kit.  Our skipper must have done something with it.  We only dived in the mornings staying out for two dives, we then came back to St Mary's unloaded and did our own thing in the afternoon.  

I don't know whether this is the norm but we did have some non-divers with us, which enabled those people wanting to join non-divers for afternoons out, other islands, walks etc. I remember going to some botanical gardens which was really nice some things we did as a group others we spilt up for, nice afternoon teas.  We have considered doing it again as the diving was very good but it isn't a cheap trip, so we have never got enough people interested in doing it again.

Only down side to my holiday we decided to go on what turned out to be a major yomp around the island and I ended up on crutches, my poor B & B lady ended up taking me to the hospital a couple of times and luckily I recovered enough to be able to drive back home.  

I remember our skipper took us to a pub one night for a meal, you can only get to by boat, that was an experience on crutches.  

Anyway it's well worth doing, scenic and little wrecks.

Fiona

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

Well I am planning on Bo Fascadale/Elizabeth Rock, Labrador, Torran rocks, Islay and the remains of HMS Graph, Summer Isles, Corryvreckan,  wreck of Bermuda at Culkein, Scourie, Coll and Tiree wrecks(some of the less dived ones) and probably some clyde diving including the U33 if I can get a position that I know is accurate, the Portland in particular sounds intriguing.... I am also looking at whether it is worthwhile going down to Cornwall and parts south for a week.
Warm weather will be a North red sea liveaboard if I get my finger out and book it soon.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

I have dug out enough info on Corryvreckan to have a go at it in the right conditions.
I know where U33 is, just know that this isn't necessarily where it is if you know what I mean. It is a small target and quite a logistical haul to get there to find it isn't exactly where it is supposed to be.
 I have a long list of places to dive next year now that it isn't 12 folk on a hardboat you need to keep happy. Smaller is better!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

Princess of Wales isn't worth doing. do they have an ACCURATE position for U33, ie one that is known to be the wreck rather than a book or chart position?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

I can't help you on the position.  I reckon most people would charter a hard boat with a skipper that knows how to get there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts