YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at putting together a course or series of courses for new or inexperienced divers that will fully prepare them for UK diving.

A few years ago I ran a UK Virgins trip which worked really well and in some cases succedded in getting people into the sea for the first time in this country.

Following on from that and some recent threads I'd like to run something for new divers who are nervous about going out on UK boats or for divers who have dived abroad but are not familliar with UK diving. This could be run as an SDI Advanced Diver course (subject to min number dives) for those who would like to get a recognised qualification at the end. I would anticipate that this would be at least a 4 day course.

I'd like your feedback on whether you think this is a good idea and what you would like to see included. My initial thoughts are that it should include the following;

- Buoyancy control
- DSMB deployment
- Boat diving
- Wreck diving
- Drift dives
- Equipment configuration
- UK diving locations
- Booking on a UK boat
- Using Nitrox with a dive computer

I'd particularly like to hear from newer divers as to what skills they feel they should be developing.

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,297 Posts
Mark,

That sounds like a good idea.

I would comment though that I think diving with Nitrox should be covered in a Nitrox course, and only included by way of a refresher.

I would also add diving from a RHIB, which is very different from hard boats.

At a basic level wouldn't most of this stuff be covered by one's BSAC club? (I suppose those who felt it had been covered wouldn't sign up)

Cheers, Paul

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
At a basic level wouldn't most of this stuff be covered by one's BSAC club?
Shock horror, not everyone is a member of BSAC ;)

Something like this is ideal for guys who may have learned to dive abroad and would like to carry on doing it back here but don't know how go about it.

For many reasons, a lot of people don't want to be a regular club member.

Mark, are you planning to include a number of sea dives in this? If so, I guess you'd need to pair people up with more experienced buddies in the same way you did with the 'virgins' trip you put together. If that's the plan, I'd be happy to help out.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Would line laying be too advanced?
Peer Pressure - For example - why twins are not always necessary
Basic field maintenance - changing a HP swivel for example
Spares - what should be in your 'save a dive' kit

Juz

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,297 Posts
Shock horror, not everyone is a member of BSAC.

Something like this is ideal for guys who may have learned to dive abroad and would like to carry on doing it back here but don't know how go about it.

For many reasons, a lot of people don't want to be a regular club member.
Shock Horror of horrors, my comment was a little tongue in cheek, and I appologise if it offends anyone.

Another shock, even divers in a club (regardless of affiliation) may find themselves wanting a course like this for a whole variety of reasons, although I suspect it will appeal more, as you've indicated, to those new to the sport or who've trained in a clubless environment. But, in fairness to new divers, I thought it worth pointing out that they may get this training if they joined a club.

Some clubs are better than others, and none are "free".

Cheers, Paul

PS By the way, I would deffinately recommend Mark as an Instructor, having paid to do some of his courses.

·
Wannabe Lotto Jackpot Winner..!
941 Posts
what about these too?

*Emergency Services (Coast Guard, Hyperbaric chambers, etc)

*Chart/tides

*Shore diving

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Shore diving, suitability of entrance/exit points, water conditions ie surf entry, point of contact when diving who to inform. Maybe highlighting that you dont have to dive even after driving a hour or so to a site to find its beyond your experiance level.

·
Là á Bhlàir's math na Càirdean
884 Posts
Would line laying be too advanced?
Peer Pressure - For example - why twins are not always necessary
Basic field maintenance - changing a HP swivel for example
Spares - what should be in your 'save a dive' kit

Juz

Line laying course would be great. This is something that is done during SD training and then not used. When I questioned this was told that running a line was something the club did not do as we always come up on DSMB's. tried running a line yesterday whilst diving the UB38 with Paul Oliver and found it was not easy, also further buoyancy control training would be great

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All good suggestions. Thanks for the input.

It's true that a good club will cover all of this but as has been pointed out not everyone is in a club.

One of the reasons for posting this now is that I've just spent Easter in Portland with my club running through many of these things. It was the fact that people who are not in clubs don't get access to this type of training that brought it to the front of my mind.

·
Lord Protector of the Pies and Defender of the Bee
1,021 Posts
Currently just doing Sports Diver and i'm sure there is a lot of stuff which to me can be classed as unknown unknown but from where i'm sat at the moment buoyancy in a dry suit, buoyancy in a dry suit, buoyancy in a dry suit and then task load on top of that DSMB, low vis and line laying then return to buoyancy in a dry suit.

I'm rapidly learning that good buoyancy provides a stable platform to do the rest but doing the rest screws with your stable platform.

·
Mmmmmmmm
256 Posts
From the original list, I would say that Nitrox is pretty well covered by plenty of other avenues, and since it really is about having a good knowledge of the theory, and not really condition specific, I do not feel that this really belongs in a ‘UK Diving Course’.

I like the sound of your course, but think that you should stick to the elements that are either:

1 - UK specific (are almost UK specific);
2 - Different in the UK to abroad (where abroad = warm, clear water).

I (as a pure UK Novice) would class DSMB and Drysuit as 'UK Specific' (from the point of view of a holiday trained diver), and therefore something a holiday diver will have no experience of. Things such as boat diving, drift dives and buoyancy are something that a ‘practiced’ holiday diver will have experienced/mastered, but are different in the UK.

Just my thoughts,

Daniel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts