YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

As some of you know, my diving has pretty much been warm-water, apart from the odd few trips up to Stoney last October/November.

Whilst at Stoney, I used a semi-dry suit which was fine, although clearly not as a effective at keeping out the elements as a dry suit.

I really want to do a lot more UK diving (my salary doesn't afford me the luxury of warm weather diving every week you see...  
) and so I'm guessing it makes complete sense for me to get my dry suit course done and dusted...

But in the meantime, I am perfectly happy in a semi dry with temps down to about 9/10 degrees so I guess I should be OK doing that in the UK for the next couple of months?  I'd really really like to dive the Farnes - what sort of temps could I expect to experience there in the near future?  When would you imagine is the latest time of year I could go there in a semi dry or would I be better off doing my dry suit course sooner rather than later??

I have the chance of a dry suit course next weekend in Stoney (will obligatory pool sesh first of course) so do you think I should go for it?  For some reason I'm a little nervous of the whole dry suit thing as I heard it can be a little, erm, 'painful' when it clings....

Any advice much appreciated.

(And I promise I'll file my North Cyprus dive report soon, still catching up on the interruption of my career at present!)

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Lesley

I was in St Abbs only a few miles up the coast in late June and the water temps were 8 degrees on the Glanmire, wreck in 30 mtrs and between 9 and 11 on the other dives.  I think, but will stand corrected that it will get a little warmer until about September.  

Hope this helps, I am just looking forward to the Maldives in August should be about 29 - 30  

Fiona

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Lesley

The water is reasonably warm around the Farnes from middle of July until about November then the temp. really starts dropping. Diving shallow you will be okay for two dives, but the second one will be getting chilly. It is on the surface where you will start feeling the cold between dives. One full dive to 30m, or more,  you will notice the cold creeping in during the dive.

Cheers Ron

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Thanks guys.  I think, deep in my heart, I know I should submit to a dry suit to save all this to-ing and fro-ing!

I just got back from North Cyprus where the water temp was 28-30 degrees until we hit the thermocline at about 16m which took the temp down to 19.  Still managed it in a shortie though  

So I will keep you posted on how I do with the dry suit next week - if anyone's up in Stoney next Sat/Sun, look out for the novice with a tan, moaning about the restrictive of the dry suit 9which inevitably won't fit!) and complaining of being too cold!!

If the worst comes to the worst, I could always emigrate...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Imported post

Lesley, I thought that...cold and me don't agree but get ur dry bag, I was surprised at how warm they are obviously I got a weezle extreme plus, but have sweated my swallocks off, so have had to buy a lighter under suit..

Go dry bag you'll love it

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Ah.. the old drysuit 'mystique' again...

Don't  quite know where you've gotten the fear of dry suits from, I'm less restricted for movement in my membrane than I am in a 5mm shortie wetsuit, 'cos a membrane only "clings" if you don't put any air in it (I'm assuming from your post that your course providers have indicated they are supplying a membrane suit)

Don't worry, you'll be fine, and once you're into it you'll wonder why you worried so much, especially when you're diving whatever the water temp  

Don't be afraid to add ankle weights while you're getting to grips with the DS buoyancy issues, but plan to bin them once you've got DS experience under your belt (just like stabilisers on your first bike)

I'd recommend avoiding uncompressed neoprene, they can be a bit restrictive because the material is so thick, I still keep mine as a back-up though  
HTH
Steve

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I went to the Farnes in late May, diving in a semi-dry suit (7mm Mares Evolution) and didn't particularly feel the cold, even at 29m on the Somalia.

I do have some extra thermal protection (well, I had more in May than I have now) that I like to call "Bioprene" (or perhaps "Lardprene"?)

The sun was shining during the surface intervals, which made it nice enough but if it had been grotty I would have stayed in the wheelhouse.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Imported post

Lesley
take the plunge get a dry suit even better get gerry to buy it for you!!      

nigel

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nigel @ July 22 2003,16:03)]Lesley
take the plunge get a dry suit even better get gerry to buy it for you!!      

nigel
Cheers Nigel - as you'll see from my other thread, tonight's the night for my dry suit course (finishing it at Stoney this weekend).

I think Gerry's a little envious as he started his dry suit course a couple of months back but hasn't had the chance to do the open water element yet.  Think he's worried I'll catch up to him!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts