YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

hi there,
          anybody any comments with regards the above before I commit myself to buying one, all help gratefully accepted as I'm not 100% sure, the price is £129, any good?

cheers,

Fraser.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Imported post

great torch had a d4 flooded it bought the d8 what a difference sounds a very good price too buy it you wont be dissapointed

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>I've had a UK800R for many years, it has proved to be a very good light and was well worth what I paid for it. If it can be improved on, then it will only be for the better of it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I have used on for 18 months now and think it is the bees, my buddie recently purchased one and it is not until you see another diver using it from a distance that you appreciate the beam, go for it!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

thanks folks,I've sent away for it feeling assured that I'm doing the right thing,you can do lots of research,but it still comes down to who actually uses them in the field (so to speak!!), it's not a cheap buy,and I'm not exactly loaded (skint) so it's an investment for future fun.

cheers,
                               Fraser

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (frisky fraser @ Nov. 02 2003,23:02)]thanks folks,I've sent away for it feeling assured that I'm doing the right thing,you can do lots of research,but it still comes down to who actually uses them in the field (so to speak!!), it's not a cheap buy,and I'm not exactly loaded (skint) so it's an investment for future fun.

cheers,
                               Fraser
I've had mine for 5 or 6 years - haven't even had to buy a new bulb. It is a bit of a lump but it is v/good torch and has handled a tough life very well.

Based on my unit I would recommend one to anyone who wanted that kind of torch (as opposed to cylinder mounted battery pack with umbilical lamp).

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

I would have spent the extra few quid and bought a light cannon. the difference is night and day.
It is smaller, lighter and far brighter and yes I have had both.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

A few folk in my local club have one, some for about 10 years now, so it seems to have proved its worth. I couldn't afford one at the time and got a UKC4 but now wish I had. Its looks a great peice of kit and puts my puny lamp in the dark.

Dave C

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

hi there

got my torch,for some reason,had it in my head that it could only be used underwater,no mention of this in the bumph,can somebody put me wise?also two sets of instructions,one says charge between 10-12 hours,other14-16 hours!! whilst I'm here,whats the script if you only use it for say 1/2 an hour and it's still fairly bright,do you charge it fully again after a hard days diving
this is the guy whose expecting a vyper tomorrow
and I can't even figure out the b****y torch

cheers
                                              Fraser

·
Registered
32 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Fraser,

I usually use mine for about 4/5 hours diving and then turn it on in and let it burn itself out and then re-charge fully, not had any bother with it, been a great piece of kit

Bert

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Hi Fraser,
            First time you charge the battery give it a real good blast(14hrs, until the battery gets warm) then "never" let the battery die on you. It forgets it's initial charge then. I'll normally get 1 1/2- 2 hours out the bright(35w) bulb. Leave it charging overnight and it's as good as new the next day.
 "Don't" use it out the water. Water keeps the bulbs cooler and stops them from overheating and blowing.
 I've assumed you got the D8R!

Peter

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

The D8R is great. Had mine for 3 years, dropped it loads of times, bounced it off rocks during dives etc etc.

Still in perfect working order and brighter in both brightness and coverage than any other torch I have seen

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Had the UK800R for a while, a very good torch. Up-graded to a 50W Hid umbilical even better. Then the magneto switch packed in during a dive & wouldn't switch on. The next week had a trip to Skelligs so took the UK800R & after the last dive of the week, it ended up being washed out through the skuppers of the boat. Bloody boat hand took it off my wing & put it on the deck & by the time I'd realised, it was gone. Last seen heading to 50M+. bummer.

gareth

1 - 13 of 13 Posts