YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s with great pride that I report that my son James qualified as a PADI Open Water Diver on 31st May at the age of 10 years 5 months! Could James be the youngest UK qualified diver?

James took the initial course at Wittering Divers in Hove over a course of 5 weeks on Thursday evenings. James did really well to stay awake for these as we rarely got home before 10:30 pm. Due to time constraints & the inconvenience of his brothers birthday party James was unable to complete his qualifying dives before going to Sharm El Shiekh for the half term break. However he did pass the exam with a score of 88%! Therefore we got a referral from Fabrice at Wittering Divers for Emperor Divers in Sharm. The first qualifying dives were from the beach at Shark Bay with a very humerous Scottish instructor Scott. Unfortunately Scott was flying home for his brother’s wedding the next day so he handed over to James’ 3rd instructor Davorin from Slovenia. James and Dav got on very well, and Dav was very thorough in ensuring that James performed all of the required skills flawlessly without any help from Dad. We went on the day boat Mahy Tours to the local sites Fiddle Garden and Middle Garden. Each dive comprised the first 15 – 20 minutes reviewing skills before setting off for a jaunt around the reefs for nice 50 minute dives.

Unfortunately James got a tummy bug and wasn’t able to enjoy the final prize of open water diving without an instructor nagging him. To his credit he did make an attempt and came on the boat but the D & V got the better of him. He went two different shades of green, one from the stomach upset, the other with envy as we had 2 excellent dives on Ras Um Sid and a drift dive off Middle Garden.

Here's some shots.....

Qualifying Dives at Fiddle Garden

James after certification

Some nice underwater shots

Eagle Rays at Middle Garden

Blue Triggerfish on the sand at Middle Garden

Free swimming Giant Moray at Ras Um Sid

Octopus in it's hole at Middle Garden

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Excellent - Well done James!:)

Mr Scubee once certified a lad on his 10th birthday, or the day after or something. I don't know exactly, but i know it was a record, but i think it was in Cyprus or Kenya, but we do see him from time to time (usually at the dive show).

My son was 10 1/2 when we did his confined at Easter, and will be 10 years 10 months when he does his qualifying dives.

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
Congratulations to the young 'un. When's he going to do some nice no viz UK diving then :D

·
Add Water To Activate
1,433 Posts
Well done James. :thumbs_up: :teeth:

James just beats my daughter who, in April 2001, aged 10 years & 7 months passed her OW at Capernwray. The last time she went in the water was February 2002 at Capers in 4degs. That was just after I bought her a whole set of kit :frown:

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Well done James! Congratulations to you...and well done to all the other wee divers.

Helen xxx

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Well done James. :thumbs_up: :teeth:

James just beats my daughter who, in April 2001, aged 10 years & 7 months passed her OW at Capernwray. The last time she went in the water was February 2002 at Capers in 4degs. That was just after I bought her a whole set of kit :frown:
That's interesting as my son had just turned 12 when he did his, his mate was 11 and about 6 months and when we went to capern wray for a pleasure dive after they were both qualified Capern Wray wouldn't let Lewis dive because their rule a the time was that you had to be over 12 (even if you were a qualified diver as Lewis was...) . That would have been september 2001 . I wonder if they subsequently realised their rule was non sense???

Bethi was 11 when she did hers..

I have only bought the minimum kit for my two and we tend to borrow stuff as they both prefer warm water diving ...

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
That's interesting as my son had just turned 12 when he did his, his mate was 11 and about 6 months and when we went to capern wray for a pleasure dive after they were both qualified Capern Wray wouldn't let Lewis dive because their rule a the time was that you had to be over 12 (even if you were a qualified diver as Lewis was...) . That would have been september 2001 . I wonder if they subsequently realised their rule was non sense???

Bethi was 11 when she did hers..

I have only bought the minimum kit for my two and we tend to borrow stuff as they both prefer warm water diving ...
Stoney has the same rule, but I think it was brought it in about 2002/3

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
...their rule a the time was that you had to be over 12 (even if you were a qualified diver as Lewis was...) . That would have been september 2001 . I wonder if they subsequently realised their rule was non sense???...
Why nonsense? More likely insurance since there is controversy over younger divers?

Minimum age for diving

Chris

·
10,679 Posts
Its in their archives so a while back I guess.

Chris

·
10,679 Posts
Agreed. My nephew is 10 and some oddments. We are planning on teaching him in spring 2009 (age 12 - min BSAC). He could do the PADI course at the minute but his dad is also a non-diver so the package would be expensive.

From what I have read (albeit out of date) here and there I think the wait is probably sensible. At the very least younger kids should really be quite depth restricted and get nowhere near the no-stop limits.

Trouble is it takes a while for the results to filter through. Maybe there is no issue at all. Personally I wouldn't take the chance, but at the same time I respect other people's right to have a different viewpoint. There is no right or wrong answer and no doubt the affects vary between youngsters.

Chris

·
10,679 Posts
For PADI OW, correct, but junior AOW, over age 12, depths are the same as adults
Yup. That's my understanding too.

Its very difficult to be totally objective I guess - when do you stop growing? My cousin stopped at about 16 then put on another 4cm at 21. If there is a danger to growing bones he would have still been growing at a time some folks are off round the world doing the OWSI thing....

Anyway - well done all you young folk... just take it easy please.

Chris (old git :))

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
For PADI OW, correct, but junior AOW, over age 12, depths are the same as adults

From PADI instructor manual
The maximum depth for any Adventure Dive is 30 metres/100 feet.
For 12-14 year olds, the maximum depth for any Adventure Dive is 21 metres/70 feet.
For 10-11 year olds the maximum depth is 12 metres/40 feet.​

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
From PADI instructor manual
The maximum depth for any Adventure Dive is 30 metres/100 feet.
For 12-14 year olds, the maximum depth for any Adventure Dive is 21 metres/70 feet.
For 10-11 year olds the maximum depth is 12 metres/40 feet.
Correct. That is exactly what the manual says. However, that only relates to training dives, not the depths youngsters are limited to once they are qualified. A junior OW, age 10-11 has the depth stamped on the card, and specifies that they must dive with a padi pro. There is no restrction on the OW tickets to older children, ergo, they have the same limits as adults.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Congratulations to the young diver, I wish him many happy and safe dives in the future.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
33 Posts
congratulations!!:teeth:

there is an artice in alert diver(1 quarter 2007) where dan gives an assessment of medical issues associated with children and diving..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts