YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
A man of many talents - sadly all well hidden...
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's early but this year's YD Plonker of the year award is mine!

I drive a diesel - you know what's coming right? - last night I filled up from more or less empty with £67 of BP's Ultimate Unleaded instead of BP's Ultimate Diesel AND, here's the really good part, I drove the car for almost a mile before stopping.

Up until recently I only used black colour coded diesel pumps but following a promotional offer last week I filled up with Ultimate fuel. What I didn't realise then is that Ultimate fuel is available in diesel AND unleaded flavours, both from very similar branded and coloured nozzles.

The pumps I use each have three nozzles; one black, one green and one Ultimate. However what I discovered last night is the Ultimate pumps are alternately unleaded or diesel depending on which pump you're at. Both have green tops and wording but diesel is on a dark blue with sky blue background while unleaded is on a sky blue with dark blue background.

Seems I'm not the first, be warned. In up to a five weeks I'll have a new fuel system in my car and a £5,000 lighter wallet.

I'll try a letter to BP but apparently they stopped compensating people two years ago :frown:

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Tony
I thought the nozzle sizes were supposed to be different too, so as to stop this sort of thing happening.

Matt

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
The colours are normally black for diesel and blue for ultimate type diesel in my experience. How strange that they are using a green hose for diesel ?

Its normally the hose colours that signify the type of fuel, not necessary the pump handle area, although this is normally the same as well.

Unlucky Tony.... its an expensive mistake, and you would have gotten away with a pumpout (about 300 quid or so) except for the driving it a mile.

I did it once at a motorway service station and fortunately noticed before I started the engine, so I refused to move the car until the AA arrived to take it to a local garage to do the pumpout. Fortunately it was a company car so I didn't have to pay the pumpout charge, but it would have been curtains had I started the engine I think :)

·
Dive Ninja and now Trainee Kit-donkey
157 Posts
Thats really harsh. From the sounds of it anyone could have made the same mistake with that kind of unambiguous colour coding. And if the pumps alternate ultimate unleaded and diesel, how the hell are you supposed to know which one to drive to when u pull into the petrol station?

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Obviously the trhing is seriously rooted but what actually happens when you drive with petrol in a diesel engine?

Just curious.

·
Warm water Diver
647 Posts
Diesel

HI.........me to a plonker...........i did that last yr with rushing around my head was done in and only put 10 squid petrol in a diesel van cos i was late for an appointment.............n only realised when i was putting pump bk.........then penny dropped................. and had to put 15 squid of diesel in to counter the petrol..it worked for me and cleaned the engine out for me too but could of be alot worse..........so i know how u feel.............

·
A man of many talents - sadly all well hidden...
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oooohhhhhh just had a call from the dealer with the car, new quote of £7,200 :frown:

Ratty's right about the colour of the base of the signage, but both flavours are very similarly branded using sky blue/dark blue and both have green flashing and green Ultimate wording.

Tony
I thought the nozzle sizes were supposed to be different too, so as to stop this sort of thing happening.

Matt
Apprently this was more to do with 4*, the sizes are no longer different.

Not a Volvo is it?

Sorry to hear Tony. Very Ouch.

Adrian
BMW - 5 series touring - dive kit's going to be a squeeze in the wife's Multispace.

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
Obviously the trhing is seriously rooted but what actually happens when you drive with petrol in a diesel engine?

Just curious.
oooh well where do you want to start, seals in all the fuel system components will be knackered, as will the bearings in the fuel pump plus lots of other components.

wifedid it just after Christmas thankfully it was only a fiver she put in and didn't drive it but got towed to the dealer. only £160 incl VAT but its not a Volvo :)

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
I done same thing last year but didnt even realise I had until it refused to start after I had driven home from club 18 miles then drove to work another 12 miles. Luckily one of the nurses where I work had a contact number for a mechanic who collected my car the next day drained the petrol gave the engine a quick clean and deleivered it back to my work all for the princely sum of £60. The car has been fine since.

Good luck in finding someone like I had.

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Sorry to hear mate, but for this type of stuff I'd steer clear of the main dealers. Call around a couple of local garages and see what they say.

·
Se mi havus multe da mono mi acxetus novan biciklo
1,030 Posts
It's too late now of course, but you can not rely on the colour of the pump or the hose. You must always check the vehicle, the fuel and the price displayed when you lift the nozzle. I once refused to draw fuel because the price differed by a couple of pence - this caused the cashier much consternation because she was unable to reset the pump without a transaction going through. Not my problem and I had enough fuel remaining to go somewhere where the fuel was less suspect. And I once opened the bonnet of a rental car to check for spark plugs before filling.

If you run a diesel vehicle on gasoline you might trash the fuel pump - gasoline does not have the same lubricating properties, but can eat the seals in the pump and injectors. Or you might trash the entire engine if you are really unlucky. If you've not driven it, push it off the pump and drain the tank. If you have, drain the tank and fuel lines, replace the fuel filter and hope for the best.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
If it's any consolation Tony I did exactly the same thing with one of the job cars a couple of months ago when the garage we use first started stocking BP Ultimate. It didn't help that they used the old black diesel nozzles for the unleaded! Fortunately I only put a litre in and didn't drive it so we had it lifted on a flat-bed to be drained. They guy at the pump next to me did exactly the same thing but he put in about 40 litres. His Landcruiser was only three weeks old - he was talking about sueing the garage!

·
Se mi havus multe da mono mi acxetus novan biciklo
1,030 Posts
A colleagues husband (she says) misfueled one of our vehicles a couple of years ago. It ran for about a year after that, but is now no longer on the fleet and noone wants to tell me exactly what happened to it. I suspect engine death, but there's the possibility of a crash in embarrassing circumstances.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Tony
Given the experience of those of us who have done similar and got away with it, unless it's massively insured and someone else is paying, I'd strongly suggest the pump out and then drive it and see what the damage is first.

Pete

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
Tony
Given the experience of those of us who have done similar and got away with it, unless it's massively insured and someone else is paying, I'd strongly suggest the pump out and then drive it and see what the damage is first.

Pete
if its a new Common rail diesel which runs at a much higher pressure than 'standard agricultural diesel ' then any damage may not be apparent for a year or more, the petrol will not lubricate the bearings in the pump which shed metal particles into the fuel system, if you are lucky then these will stop at the injectors if not they enter the cylinders and cause even more damage.

if you drove the car after filling up with petrol then look at big bills. if you didn't then a drain down rinse out and refill with correct fuel will work.

lots of people used to put a small amount of petrol in diesel years ago to stop it waxing in extreme cold, this is no longer needed as the fuel company puts these additives in at production.

older diesels may get away with it as they are a lower fuel pressure and the bearings might not suffer too much.

like always its up to you but if the car goes bang at 90 in the fast lane its not likely to be nice. your call.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Seems that if its a common mistake, then the fault lies with BP.
So easy fix, boycott them.

I've made a mental note and will be giving them a miss from now on.
I can just see myself using the wrong pump, so better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Tony

Matt
They are, I tried then to put diesel in petrol car and the pump would not fit in. The diesel pumps are bigger so will not go into a petrol tank. Lucky for me as I then realised before and no diesel got into my tank unluck for diesel people though.:frown:

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
It's easy to forget when doing such a mundane job as filling up with fuel. My car is diesel and my wifes is petrol and we often drive each others car. I have a mental thought before filling to double check.

In Portugal the pumps don't often call Diesel by 'Diesel' but in portuguese which is 'Gasoleo' which often catches the foreigners. The pump handles should be black though but I don't really check it, just the writting on the nozzle.

Because of the different fittings is it - You can fill Petrol into Diersel but not Diesel into unleaded?

Another way to check out the difference is to see the price!:frown:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts