YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

So, what went wrong for you? Multiple votes alllowed.

• Runaway/uncontrollable free-flowing reg?

Votes: 31 37.8%
  • O-ring popped on SPG or cylinder?

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • First-stage failure?

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Flooded Loop you couldn't clear (RB)?

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Valve-failure leading to a flooded dry-suit?

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • BCD/Wing inflator-hose failure?

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Weight/shot-belt buckle going 'on the Fritz'?

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Torch faliure (other than battery discharging)?

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • DSMB or reel failure?

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • Other not mentioned here - please state what.

Votes: 18 22.0%
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my own interests I would like to try and identify how many people have suffered kit failure under water AND what the items were that failed.

Please note a vote does not mean you support that type of problem  
- just that you suffered from it.

I'm not interested in anything that happens on the surface ONLY if it failed during a dive.

A free flowing reg does not count UNLESS you couldn't stop it.

It would be helpful if sufferers would add a brief description of the what broke and the reason (i.e. not tightened up or it broke etc) as a reply to this post.

My reasons for wanting to know include three 90 degree "elbows" and one swivel on my FFM reg.

If anyone feels I missed something etc pls feel free to criticize (I only said that because you were going to anyway).

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Using those criteria, no kit failures at all in ~250 dives, (90% of which UK)  
Mind you, I have always made a point to check all my kit thoroughly during assembly.

Unwanted stuff: one free-flowing reg (november, Crap n rainy) due most likely to my adjusting the screw, tweaked it back down and fine since then. Once or twice had slightly leaky SPG O-ring at swivel fitting, didn't abort dive as was shallow plan anyway. Once or twice had a leaking tank O-ring before diving when using A-clamps, not an issue now (DIN, the only way to go).

Chee-az

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Pity "Weight belt" isn't in there, I could have double-ticked it

As it is... null point

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>*bottom*

thats not there? and its tho only thing i worry about loosing on a deep dive  lol

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I have had an o ring failure on a first stage K-clamp type. (Not my tank), A Low preasure hose to first stage, and the V small o rings for the SPG swivel.

Apart from that the only thing that has failed UW so far is my tourch and my sphinkter  

Mark Chase

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>got a lovely, brand new, top of the range,all singing ,all dancing regulator from a top manufacturer about three years ago..............lasted 27min before the bloody thing packed up.
couldn't get anything but water out of it when i breathed it but it would still purge.
sent it back with a letter playing holy hell about how i could have died and how you expect better from a top firm.
turned out it had been incorrectly assembled in the factory(they'd left out the diaphram retaining ring).
got my money back and a free reg to keep me quiet(over 300 quids worth
) and promises that they'd changed their assembly line so it could never happen again

·
Diving in the sand
224 Posts
Imported post

There I was happily bimbling along on the third dive with my brand new Jetstreams (a new convert to a long hose), when suddenly I had a mouthful of salt water. Mouthpiece still firmly between my teeth reg free in the water. If I had ever needed convincing that a necklaced back up was a good idea this convinced me . Don't know when the tiewrap had come off but I learned chech new kit thoroughly. (Fortunately we were practicing with the new configuration in 6-8m at the time)

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

Might interest you Finless -  not really a failure but using a FFM I'm not sure of current make but then badged as Poseidon with a Cyklon 300. The second stage was set a bit too fine and when I tried breathing in the mask rather than using the mouthpeice it freeflowed and the mask was jumping off my face in. Easily solved but sticking my tongue into the reg. Quite entertaining really.  

·
Registered
117 Posts
Imported post

Can I not select more than one failure? Had a couple of pillar valve o-rings, at least half a dozen hp and lp first stage o-rings (is that a first stage failure?), three unstopable 2nd stage freeflows - only one was due to the 2nd stage freezing, others were almost certainly 1st stage freezes, and many others. Din regs solved the first problem - hasn't happened since but the others are just par for the course. I always felt that little cheap rubber rings were a weakness in scuba gear - I'm sure someone could invent a better system of hose attachment to fully capture the o-rings at the 1st stage? Some reg manufacturer could make (even more) a fortune.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

*sigh*
As if the facing/barrel O-ring debate wasn't bad enough for manifolds.

Now you want DIN hoses as well...

Alternatively, when you're fully committed to a certain type of hose routing, maybe nip round to a welder..?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I had a reg uncontrollably freeflow, but only after I'd done some reg servicing of my own. I was converting a Scubapro (don't even start) R190 to a left-sided affair, and hadn't tightnened up the 2nd stage properly on the hose. Made a nice noise for a while. Good thing it was on a pony as a tester. In fact, that was the dive I did with 3 ponies. Just got bored on a week's dive holiday. That was redundancy to the limit!

Bit of work at home and it became clear what the problem was. Now it's a backup reg I use for doing twins sessions in the pool.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richie @ June 05 2003,11:14)]Might interest you Finless -  not really a failure but using a FFM I'm not sure of current make but then badged as Poseidon with a Cyklon 300. The second stage was set a bit too fine and when I tried breathing in the mask rather than using the mouthpeice it freeflowed and the mask was jumping off my face in. Easily solved but sticking my tongue into the reg. Quite entertaining really.  
I know what you mean. When I first got the FFM I used my existing Mares reg and an adaptor. The first time I used it it free flowed so much that my eyelids didn't touch my eyeballs until I got out of the water.

No danger of CO2 build up though, however, my breathing rate was a bit disappointing on that dive though.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (markg @ June 04 2003,20:17)]turned out it had been incorrectly assembled in the factory(they'd left out the diaphram retaining ring).
<font color='#0000FF'>Similar thing happened to me only it wasn't a regulator it was a dry suit.  I had taken mine back to a well known company in the NW to have it altered, they put the boots back on the wrong legs so I borrowed one for a dive trip only I later found out they hadn't put the diaphram in the cuff dump.

Went to dive the Rhondo I felt something was not quite right, although my buddy seemed to be enjoying herself so didn't bother until that is it came to ascend had some problems then couldn't get up the ladder, had to be dragged up without kit.  Then the idignanty I had to lie down on the deck feet facing up hill to let the water drain away. Not very amused

FB

·
Registered
117 Posts
Imported post

Just out of interest, has anyone ever had a pillar valve fail? Other than a-clamp o-rings I mean? Seems to me they are the one thing I can always count on?

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>BCD inflator stuck on... had to pull off the low pressure hose and dump air. Turned out to be grit in the wotsit
jules

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Turned out to be grit in the wotsit
I have had grit in my wotsit

Nasty buisness

Mark Chase

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ June 05 2003,23:05)]My 50w lamphead got water in it at 30m in a wreck yesterday - and made a very satisfying bang!

Do I get a prize?
Did everyone else on the wreck think it was a recall signal?

No prize but a visit from bill.  

1 - 20 of 62 Posts