YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

This isn't exactly wreck diving but some thing like this is extremely exiting. I made some research and contacts and found the around the island of Malta some extremely old temples have been discovered under the water. Some people think that these are ruins of Atlantis?
??

I got a book from the person that gave this issue, much study and importance. I also corresponded with a local diver / photographer that was hired from the discoverer, and got very positive answers.

Unfortunately last summer I ran out of time and I never dove this site. But in the 80's I was diving not that far from where these others are claiming the discovery, and I remember diving in and out of a number of tunnels. Some of them 3 or 4 meters long. Some others were shorter. They seemed to me as if a giant earthworm dug through the rock. I wonder weather there is a connection between these tube like tunnels and the so-called under water temple. Have any one else read, seen or dove in these areas?

Thanks

Lawrence

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Never heard of it.  But it sounds like the kind of project we could get our teeth into research wise.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Imported post

There is a theory that when Africa and Europe were joined at the Gibraltar straights and the Nile that the whole of the Mediterranean was land locked.

This meant that the islands were in fact mountains and if this was the case then in theory stuff that is underwater now may not have been before.

This spawned two ideas. Perhaps Atlantis (if that is the Temple) is now underwater as a result of the opening of the straights (don't forget that the temples in Malta are older than any in Egypt) and that this event may have happened pre biblical times.

Secondly that the ensuing water washed through the Med breaking over over the nile (creating 40 days of flood - if you believe the Old testement for Noah) and then subsided to give an inlet at Gibraltar and an outlet at the Nile delta.

The old problem with this theory is that the archealogical data suggests  that this event happens many thousands of years earlier, but who knows.

But would love to dive the area again. When do we go?

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Was the book by a guy named Hankock?He appears to have done much of the research into the link,I've read of the theory being dismissed also though,mainly due to the size,they say that Malta is to small to have been Atlantis(how they work that out if most of it's submerged I'm unsure).
The other reason is that they say Malta has never been completely submerged.There's lots of links on this but I don't know if you've seen this one,HTH.Regards,Hobby.
http://www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=113731

·
Registered
599 Posts
Imported post

you will be pleased to know that there has been a tv program on this on discovery chanel. there is lots of fine under water footage. The conclusion was, that the  buildings underwater were from when malta was part of the main land before the sea level increased.
The same team that filmed this also filmed the same type of buiding off the coast of india

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Thank you for your replies. I had been trying to squeeze as much information from a number of different sources. It is certain that the area was much bigger and actually the Med might have only been 2 lakes. One on either side of Italy. What I grasped was that after stellar observations, it seems that some inhabitants went for refuge in a place called the Hypogeum (Malta). The starts “some how” indicated the catastrophe. The remains were found all over the place and not in a burial fashion. These remains were found under mud and silt which is very unusual for the area unless there was a "flood" of some sort. Another interesting aspect is the size of these beings. From research done it is concluded that this event happened about 12000 years ago. This can be also connected to the fact that the wave that flooded Europe from west to east was responsible for the flood in the Black Sea. This is where Noah comes in. It is also believed that the whole of Malta was under the water for a period of time and then a small portion (as we know it today) reemerged. Fossils of sea creatures are found even up on the highest peaks of the island inside the caves, etc, etc.  

This is quite a subject and there is also a reef between Lampedusa and Tunisia that is expected to emerge from the water in the next few weeks, too. This makes the subject more interesting. Apparently this volcanic rock emerged in the 1800’s and after a few months went down again. If there is any one out there who dove on such sites or read on the subject, please let me know – email, forum, fax, etc.

For those who are interested the person that I met and discussed this issue with is Dr Hubert Zeitlmair and the U/W photographer is Shawn Arrigo. If there is enough divers with serious interest I wouldn’t mind giving it a try and see what new discoveries we might come up with.

This is a good link about the subject and an article from the local paper.  
<a href="http://www.maltadiscovery.com/english/scientists/index.html

Happy" target="_blank">http://www.maltadiscovery.com/english/scientists/index.html

Happy</a> diving

Lawrence

'Malta as Atlantis' theory gains ground
Natalino Fenech
The idea that Malta was Atlantis seems to be gaining international recognition and will soon feature in the popular tourist guidebook The Rough Guide to Malta and Gozo.
British authors have been to Malta recently to interview Anton Mifsud, one of the authors of Malta: Echoes of Plato's Island, in which the theory is expounded.
The book argues that the Maltese islands extended southwards and included Lampedusa and the other pelagic islands just 4,200 years ago, and that the civilisation which lived here had threatened to invade Egypt and Athens in prehistoric times.
The book, two editions of which have already been published by The Prehistoric Society of Malta, has already been the subject of documentaries on foreign television stations.
The publication is also being used for the promotion of Malta's tourism industry and is backed by the Malta Tourism Authority.
Swiss archaeologist and anthropologist Tammam Kisrawi visited Malta after hearing Malta Tourism Authority chairman John Grech speak about Malta in Geneva. Mr Tammam expressed his full support for the theory and arrangements are being made for a television team to come over to Malta to film a documentary.
A Russian TV crew was in Malta and a documentary will soon be screened on OTR channel 1 in the Soviet Union. Piero Angela, of Super Quark, was also interested to come to Malta to make a documentary about the subject.
David Furlong, author of Keys to the Temples, was also in Malta to study the positions of prehistoric sites and compare them with British sites.
The theory that Malta was Atlantis was published in the Italian journal of Archaeology Hera in May last year and last January, while the French journal Archeologie will be carrying an article about it.
Best selling author Graham Hancock last February published a book 'Underworld, flooded kingdoms of the Ice Age' in the UK dedicating 120 pages out of its total of 761 to Malta and the publications Malta: Echoes of Plato's Island and Dossier Malta - evidence for the Magdalenian, published in 1997. The latter had suggested that the presence of man on Malta could date back to about 12000 to 15000 BC rather than the traditionally accepted date of about 7000 BC.
RAI Tre has already sent a team to Malta and is expected to screen a documentary later this year. Channel Four were in Malta last June and the documentary was screened last February.
Dutch authors were also in Malta in March last year to interview Dr Mifsud and to have the text translated into Dutch.
The theory and parts of the contents of the book 'Echoes of Plato's Island' have also been featured on several websites, including those of best selling author Andrew Collins and Egyptologist David Calvert Orange.
The Egyptian ambassador to Malta, Yehwa El Ramlawy, discussed the matter with the authors and arrangements have been made for a small delegation to visit Egypt as a part of the cultural exchange programme. Prehistoric links between Malta and Egypt will be the subject of lectures.
A discussion about the theme will take place at the Malta Centre for Restoration at Bighi, in the George Wigmore Hall tomorrow at 2 p.m. A panel of local archaeologists will participate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts