YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all,
Just been reading the threads on undersuits and there warmth but can any one comment on the stretch/give of the various material. I have an Uggi Bear which has always kept me toasty but yesterday i visited stoney (Crystal clear waters and almost nice) as a check out dive with me new twins and tried some shut downs but i ended up with badly crushed nuts which lasted for many hours after the dive.I can stretchout in the UB but then the reaching behind the head business was just to much, but the pain did not start till after leaving the water.So i think its a time for a new under suit any reccomendations .

Regards,

MAL...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

I had this problem with my two previous undersuits. I have a long body but short legs, which makes getting an undersuit that fits a real pain, as when undersuit makers do a 'long'version they do it for people 6'5'' and not 5'10''!

I wound up getting a DUI G4 (there it is again!) in Large and it fits me really well, and seems to be cut to match me.

It really is important when trying an undersuit to make sure you go through all your usual contortions before buying. I didn't and have paid for it twice... You should have seen the looks I got in the shop as I did all the stretches I needed to do in the water lying on the floor, complete with base layer, 400g undersuit and drysuit on! I was sweating like a... (insert your sick simile here!)

Chris

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I've never had any restriction problems in my Weezle, but then again, I do have the largest size they sell.

It's not that I'm particularly lardy, it's just that I'm 6'4" and even the largest size needed the booties to cover my entire leg...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks Tibbs myself when i bought the UB i did the squats and hands above heads to say to myself that it was big enough but now i know i need more slack in the undersuit.
Peterk yes off the bus stop but my balls can take more of a beating than that.
Dom are the weezles stretchy at all or do you have to buy it over sized.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

The only truly stretchy undersuit that I know of is the one marketed by FifthD. Having seen one in the flesh, it has a stretch panel around the waist and stretchy arms. It allowed the suit to be cut very close whilst not impairing movement. The suit was so stretchy the user was able to do a full shutdown using only one arm - though I do suspect that he may have had longer arms than average as well!  
The weezle is definitely NOT stretchable, as evidenced by my 'lifted and separated' testicles after shutdowns...

I thought about importing one, but decided it was too much effort and bought the DUI instead. It's also a 200g thinsulate (3M don't make stretchy 400g yet AFAIK) so I would have had to buy a 200g bodywarmer to go with it and that would have really pushed the price up.

Chris

P.S. I did contortions as well when I bought my previous undersuits - but this time I did it with my drysuit on, which made a real difference.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Chris,

that undersuit is made by these guys - Diving Concepts

They are also the company that make those lovely FifthD drysuits and the nice dry gloves.

Regards,

Mark  

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a polartec 2 piece suit made by REED which is very nice and stretchy....I have long legs and no nut problems.....It's not quite warm enough under a neoprene suit in winter so I bought a 4th Element Arctic..

This suit is not as stretchy (aaaarrrrrgh) and I had to cut the foot stirrups and sew elastic in

N

1 - 9 of 9 Posts