YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Okay so I've bought my own kit, nice Otter Skin with a 200gsm Thinsulate. Went up to Capernwray at the weekend to try it all out. Wow, is it warm in all this kit and I can't get in the water fast enough....

I've read you shouldn't just use T-Shirt/Shorts as cotton soaks up sweat or something. Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice on alternative undersuits for this unusually warm weather we are having at the moment. If possible something I could then use as an extra layer under my 200g in very cold water would be ideal.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Weezles can be compressed down so they provide no insulation - much cooler in hot weather, it's what I use.

Alternatively, get a 4th element Xerotherm, or the cheaper Chillcheater equivalent, which are thin, keep you warm, and can be used as a base layer when it's cold.

Cotton looses all insulating ability when it's wet, so don't use it, not even under an undersuit.

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Dominic, thanks for your reply. Any idea who sells them, I've had a quick look and couldn't find any. Are they dive store or general outdoor clothing buys ?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Hmm.. I think Fourth element are stocked by some dive shops.. but both 4th Element and Chillcheater sell their own stuff.

Reed Chillcheater transpire fleeces are here - if their base layer is as good as their wetsuit (Which I've got) they're very good.

Fourth Element Xerotherm is here. Have a very good reputation, and were the first base layer that could be worn under a Weezle

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

PS they both have stalls at the dive show, if you can wait till October

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Aug. 20 2003,15:04)]PS they both have stalls at the dive show, if you can wait till October
November!!

They changed the date for this year 15th and 16th November,  probably trying to pick up additional christmas trade.

Daz

·
Mexican Dive Bum
516 Posts
Imported post

You could also try the O'Three Point Below Base (PBB) undersuit.  It is made of the same stuff as the Fourth Elephant stuff but is 300g rather than 200g and so a bit warmer.  It also has long johns rather than trousers, so you don't get the gap when your top rides up.  

This weather is just too hot to wear my DUI C4 Thinsulate on the boat so I have been using the PBB for dives of an hour or less run time.  I paid £99 for it at the show (full set plus socks) and have been really pleased.  It is a lot cheaper than the Fourth Element one and works well.

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

I looked at the Chill Cheaters, they seem good value for £60 you can get a long sleeved top and trouser set. Does anyone use the ChillCheater from Reed, let me know if it's any good.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>

I have been using the transpire fleece for about 18 months now, through 2 winters.  I use it in conjunction with a Weezle which gives maximum flexibility. I use the chillcheater as a base under the Weezle during the worst of the winter and then use it alone from about Easter onwards. It is very light and comfortable so doesn't really add any bulk under the Weezle but is certainly comfy enough on its own.  It has been brilliant recently during the hot spell actually helping to keep cool and stop chafing.  The socks are brilliant as well not too bulky in lined boots.

I can't recommend the guys at Reed enough they have been very helpful and delivery is prompt.

Hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts