YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a load of engineering/maths text books from my time at university in the late 80s :embarassed: that just sit on the shelves gathering dust.

Do they have any value other than the sentimental value to me?

I keep meaning to read them again but it isn't going to happen.

Don't want to take them to the recycling as they were expensive even back in the 80s.

Don't really want to put them in a box in the attic either.

Does anyone have any experience of moving such material on?

TIA

David.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
I've still got mine from the same era. I'm pretty sure I'll never need to read-up on Soil Mechanics or Hydraulics, but I won't be letting them go any time soon.

·
Devout Sceptic
4,726 Posts
When we moved house about 8 years ago I decide it was time for my personal library to be downsized.

I had a fair old collection of books from the mid 70's onwards, mostly on Astronomy, Physics, Electronics, Meteorology and Aviation. Some were textbooks and some were more broadly readable and some I now realise were collectors items, but they had to go!
I went to a local book dealer with a sample box full just to see what would be the best thing for them. He wasn't slightly interested, even when I said I wanted nothing for them.

So I took them to the local library who happily took them off my hands. Some of them did appear on the branch shelves but most of them went elsewhere. No surprise really, there couldn't be that weirdos in such a small town.

I only collect picture books these days :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've still got mine from the same era. I'm pretty sure I'll never need to read-up on Soil Mechanics or Hydraulics, but I won't be letting them go any time soon.
Mining Enginering? Iwas at Nottingham Uni when they still has a department ... I still have mine in my garage...even used one a couple of years ago. Funny how many of the required texts woere written by my lecturers!!

·
Off to T.D.F.
695 Posts
I have a load of engineering/maths text books from my time at university in the late 80s :embarassed: that just sit on the shelves gathering dust.

Do they have any value other than the sentimental value to me?

I keep meaning to read them again but it isn't going to happen.

Don't want to take them to the recycling as they were expensive even back in the 80s.

Don't really want to put them in a box in the attic either.

Does anyone have any experience of moving such material on?
Do a quick search for a few of the books online? If they're still on any uni's reading list that'll probably turn them up; if so I expect their library would be glad of a few extra copies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts