YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I haven't used my stages since last August (only been training people since then) but now that summer is approaching I was going to start diving deep again. Just been to my shed to check if the stages are still in o2 test and to see how much gas was in them.

Unfortunately I can't get the plug off the cylinder (see the photo). I'm guessing salt has seized it all up. The other plug came off the other stage with a bit of force with a wrench but this one will not move!

Any ideas how to get it off? WD40? Not sure with o2 clean cylinders?

Phil

Attachments

·
Team Peanut Butter
2,306 Posts
Is the hole in the front a hole? or do you have gas presure behind it? Lay the cylinder down and hit the insert hard with a hammer a big punch may help this will shock the threads and make undoing easier. I would use WD40 then thourghly degrease the valve after woods.

Graham.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes its a hole there is no pressure behind the plug, will give the hammer trick a go now!

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
If you think salt is the problem, then before hitting things it might be an idea to try soaking it in fresh water (unless you've already done that).

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
If you think salt is the problem, then before hitting things it might be an idea to try soaking it in fresh water (unless you've already done that).
good call warm bath leave over night :)

·
2 plugs Parker
745 Posts
How about pouring boiling water over it.
Might work, but might not :( worth a try.

Ali

·
Registered
517 Posts
Be careful when soaking the valve, any liquids will end up inside the valve body and cause problems later. If you do soak it in anything other than fresh water it would be a good idea to strip the valve down and clean the spindle. You don't need to dump the tank pressure to do this.
(yes I found this out the hard way)

·
Registered
148 Posts
These are an absolute pain to get off!!!!!!!! Too late for the advice of don't leave them in for ages as they corrode on.
Hot and cold might be an option as this might be enough to free them. Mole grips might help too. I have known people having to saw them off etc etc.
My first choice would be hot and cold using hot water and some mole grip to give some leverage.

·
Getting Grumpy, Old and Twisted
3,115 Posts
Try the hot water soak then chilled water soak method a few times before twatting it with anything. The expansion will be different between the cap and valve and create a slight movement on the thread contact faces. This will then break the grip of the corrosion and with the addition of some white vinegar the threads will eventually work loose.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Tip: Once you have got it off go and buy plastic ones, they don't look as cool but then they don't weld to the thread either....

Can't offer any advice to get them off you have not already heard...good luck

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Twatting with hammer and WD40 unfortunately did not work, (probably because I was too scared of breaking something!) I'll try the hot and cold trick tomorrow morning. Thanks for the suggestions up to now though!

Tip: Once you have got it off go and buy plastic ones, they don't look as cool but then they don't weld to the thread either....

Can't offer any advice to get them off you have not already heard...good luck
Definitely!

·
208 Posts
Use a big enough lever and you can move anything...

Mole grips and a length of metal pipe or similar

·
beware of limitations
3,443 Posts
You can't get it off because you can't grip it. You can't grip it because it's round. Get out a file and create two opposite flats on the plug then use a spanner on it - if necessary use a tube to create a bigger lever. That will shift it, although you might need to trap the cylinder between the roadside curb and a car tyre to stop the cylinder rolling around.

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
cut a notch with a hacksaw into the side of the plug big enough for a cold chisel to sit .
get big hammer and try and tap it around.

2p

·
when I'm offline, it usually means I'm getting wet
842 Posts
brute force seems the order of the day, good luck

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
yeah but it also has to include giving it the 'evil eye' lol
Also, any tools that slip/don't do the job, need hurling aross the garage, as they are obviously useless.
I find aiming for the window (although it often ends up on the car windscreen) usually helps remove the useless tool from your posession:)

Seriously though, I would be filing flats on opposite sides, and getting a massive spanner on it, as has already been mentioned. That, in combination with the hot and cold water, should do the trick.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts