YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Got a really wierd problem and would like some legal advise, before i start kicking some heads.

Problem is a neighbour has set up a web cam looking into my back garden.... but i also have seen what sort of smut he shows 24/7 on his desk top wall paper,,, having 2 young boys playing in my garden , i don't know what he is up to ..

Any advise ?

Andy

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I will be down in a day with the Northern Heavies to change the number of testicles and kneecaps he has.
Seriously, i have training in child protection from when i used to work as a watersports instructor.  Go to the police, tell them you are worried about a possible paedophile looking at your kids.  If not the police, then citizens advice.  Im sure it is a breach of privacy.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I understand what ya saying , i to have got a ticket for Child protection , for when i was a manager of a Under 6's footie team , I know that any time the boys had a photo taken , had to be done only with full consent of the parent .

My neighbour is married with 2 young girls ,, but talks openly about perverted things , <<<< makes you look like a angel ,,, Prog  >>>> .

Trouble is will the Police do anything about it ?    <<< Mark D ,,, would you say thats a yes or maybe >>>

Andy

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Andy
I can understand how you feel regarding this, I have a young lad too, not so young now but it wasnt that long ago he was. Although it is legal to photograph (stills) people in the open air as there is no right to privacy as such (think of Princess Diana) I am pretty sure that as far as minors are concerned its a different matter. If the locals dont ask him to stop perhaps when we come down at Easter we could all have a word with him about his actions. Maybe our resident 'plod'  would be a good contact as I'd expect him to be on top of the situation re legalities.
Matt

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

i would be extremly worried i know that!!! especialy if a neighbours web cam was pointing in my garden and filming my son theres a definate breach of privacy there!!!!  hope u get it sorted as this kind of thing makes mi blood boil

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>andy,
seems he's taking the piss,call the police and let them handle it.

cheers
barrie

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

good point barrie get the authorities involved !!! failing that introduce his windows to some half house bricks

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Andy,

Just spoke with my girlfriend who's been a PA to 4 lawyers for a long time and she says,

1. Definate invasion of privacy.
2. Ask the bloke to move it. Now.
3. If he doesn't, inform the police and they should act pretty sharpish.
4. As much as you may feel the need to take it into your own hands, resist it.. (For the time being!!)

Ian

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>Andy, have just found the NSPCC Child Protection phone number they will hopefully be able to give you some more advice and help

NSPCC 0800 800500

Personally I think he is taking the piss, but unfortunately I can't point you in the right direction of who to talk to other than someone as we have named people in hospital who just take details from us then pass it on the the right people (be that police or social services etc)

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Cheers for all the advise, having just spoke to my wife and boys,heres a update.

Yesterday, the neighbour told my 2 boys who were playing with 2 mates in the garage area behind my back garden fence ( 6 garages belong to 6 houses ) , " I have a camera in my window , and i can watch you on computer "...... Now the camera was like a normal , digital camera, and it was sat on his window sill of his girls bedroom pointing straight down my fence.

When the boys told my wife , who went out to look and saw the camera, she just thought it was him winding up the boys. NOW today , it has turned into a web cam , which i have now seen for myself, i know that the picture quaility and focus of these things are not that great.

Now, my wife says that she isn't going to hang out any washing i.e  boys pants , bra and knickers
  even tho it's raining ......

Just gonna sit here and think about my plan , local police station is close to the public , so i can't just walk in and get advise , and really don't like phoning them unless it's a real emergency.

Andy

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Andy
IT IS AN EMERGENCY, get them involved NOW. Its what they are there for, 999 as far as I am concerned. They wont mind you wasting their time, its a bit like calling out any of the services prevention better than cure mate.

Matt

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Andy,

I second what Matt says. If you are worried about it now mate, then it's time to act. It will only play on your minds.

***If it feels wrong, then it is wrong***
Bugger, must stop reading the TDI Nitrox Manual!

Ian

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Mar. 14 2004,17:29)]Andy
IT IS AN EMERGENCY, get them involved NOW. Its what they are there for, 999 as far as I am concerned. They wont mind you wasting their time, its a bit like calling out any of the services prevention better than cure mate.

Matt
Please do call the police but please don't call 999, there is not iminent loss of life and having personally been sat on hold with a person having a heart attack infront of me due to people calling 999 as they have lost their mobile phone/ sprained their ankle 2 weeks ago and it's not got better. These are just 2 real situations I personally know of.

The normal phone number for your local police will be in the yellow pages or phone book and will take you through to police control room. You will get to speak to someone it just may take a minute or 2 longer (which may be lifesaving for someone else)

edited for shitty spelling  

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Just call and ask them to come down when it's convenient. It's bond to be in the next day or so, and they can decide if it's serious enough to be a major problem. I'd imagine the police would be about as tolerant as a parent looking out for the safety of their child.

You should be careful about how you do it though. Better to try and stay out of it and let the police keep it neutral as possible, or you could end up with a neighbour from hell. It's very easy to fall out with someone about this sort of thing, especially if he thinks he's doing nothing wrong. And he could be a mentalist.

Either that or you go down the informal route, but that's not going to get you anywhere really, despite how temting it is when someone invades your privacy and affects your life.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>MY GOD DONT CALL 999!  That is for car crashes, and house fires, and earthquakes and stuff!  
I sat in on 999 calls to the ambulance service when i was on work experience and time wasters with stuff that should be dealt with via the normal police number ie not 999, (the one in the phone book) were treated with utter contempt.

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
Imported post

Not a good idea, and don't do it, but I would be very very tempted to threaten to introduce your neighbour to Mr Fist and Mr steel toecap.  I suspect they would be able to convince him of the rror of his ways.

On a serious point, try speak to the Citizen's Advice Bureau.  They're staffed by solicitors who give their time for free - you can ring them up and book an appointment.  They are very helpful and knowledgeable and will be able to advise you the best way to proceed.

www.nacab.org.uk/

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Please lets not have any more daft talk about "sending in the heavies",  there's already enough folk who get "sent down" for first-time offences like that.  

We do have a litigation lawyer on the boards now, Simon Moore, a quick PM should get you clued up as to how best to invoke the law (hopefully in exchange for GBPs ie great british pints rather than "the folding stuff")

In the meantime, perhaps an "accidental" cricket ball flying over the fence might inadvertantly damage this camera with a neighbourly unspecific offer to make good the expense? Maybe start thinking about planting one of those Leylandii hedges, that'll fettle him permanently.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Mar. 14 2004,17:25)]Just gonna sit here and think about my plan , local police station is close to the public , so i can't just walk in and get advise , and really don't like phoning them unless it's a real emergency.

Andy
Andy mate,

That's rather point here - act NOW before it becomes an emergency! Call the cops, ask them to act - I wouldn't care if it turns out to be something-n-nothing; you've only acted out of genuine concern for the boys and there'll be no harm done!

Hope you get it squared-away whilst it just remains a mere potential embuggerance and 'nothing serious'.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

I would follow the suggestions above, get the number for the Boys in Blue from the phone book and call them on the noral (non-999) number.

Definately something to be acted on tho'

Dom

·
Rubber Boy
141 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>just a point but have you spoke to the bloke next door cos that is the first thing the police will ask?
and when you do you must be polite - you have to stay the inocent party or you will get arrested...
i am speaking from experiance but that is another story.
he will resent the police involvment so be ready - violence is a last resort and there is no coming back from
giving someone a good kicking
we are all with you on this one - i have 2 young girls and it would be my worst nightmare
as a last resort we are your cavalry
you know where we are

phil

1 - 20 of 39 Posts