YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

A friend has offered me the following items:
Sea & Sea Motormarine II-ex camera (new 2000)
YS-50TTL strobe (new 1997)
Macro 1:2
Macro 1:3
Wide angle 20mm
Viewfinder
Lens holder
Everything in good condition. Price £500 (which is not much more than a third of what it costs new here in Sweden).
Should I buy?
I'm not much of  a photographer. Will it be too complicated for me?
Grateful for a speedy reply.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Simple to use and you can get some good results.  I've got one and even I've managed to get some decent pics. I like the fact that you can change lenses underwater.  Go for it.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

I reckon that's a buy there John! My brand-new (last idive show in Brum) S&S MX-10 with YS-20 flash/strobe unit cost me nigh-on £300, without all the extras you're getting. Good luck.

Oh, and as they say in all the best French movies: "Don't forget to well grease the 'O'-ring!!!"  

·
He that is called 'Dundee', from the clan 'Dundee'
1,286 Posts
Imported post

Its a good buy,  the wide angle lens alone is circa £200 new.
Does it include the multi-stay arm and tray...the metal bit that holds everything together?

They can be £50-£100 on their own. The camera is easy to use and a couple of rolls should get you through the controls.

However...
You could get a reasonable canon digi and housing for the same moola brand new ;-)

C

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks, guys, for the rapid response. I've bought it!
PS It's a personal thing but I'd far rather have a reasonably good optical camera than a digital camera and housing. The picture quality you get from the medium-priced digital cameras available today is nowhere near as good, IMHO. I hope that's doesn't upset anybody.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

messed around with my sea nd sea camera and all but given up for uk underwater pictures since the ratio of bad to good was too high, that would be my reason for going digital but I havent got 500 quid! It's ok for Red sea nd places where the viz and light are better

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Are we talking about the same camera, Jules, Motor Marine IIEX, or one of the simpler models (MX-5 or MX-10)?

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

same camera motor marine ex II but I dont have the separate flash etc just the basic camera. it's great for snaps in the red sea but for photos in uk conditions I would need a separate strobe etc (so I am told by others more knowledgable ). I really only want to take snaps but decent ones and I have been really impressed by the ones people take on really small digital cameras with just the built in flash and without separate strobes. I think I just like the idea of being able to dump the crap shots immediately. Anyway it's all arbitary for me becuase I cant afford a decent digital camera and housing right now. I ma sure that since you have bought the complete set up then your results will be better than mine. I look forward to seeing your results and getting some tips from you.

jules

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

I don't know about tips, Jules, but I will take the camera to the Farnes and St Abbs next week and post some pics afterwards, if I get any that are worth posting.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Hi Jules,

Stick with the UK photos - some of them can be quite good. You may be too far away from the subject and getting a lot of back scatter, a strobe will sort some of this out as the light source is further away from the lens. The further away the better. If it's any inspiration these were taken on either MX-5 or MX-10 (as I have both) in Plymouth last year:

Dawn (my wonderful wife) on a line in Plymouth

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

and a slightly out of focus (sorry) dog fish. Hope these are OK.

Noel.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Noel, you have some backscatter (white spots) in your pics. You could easily remove it with a simple image processing program. There are several available as freeware on the Internet. A pity to let small flaws spoil what otherwise are nice pics, IMHO.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Imported post

Hi John,

In response to your original question (I know you've already bought it...) it was a very good buy. I think from the responses, some people are getting the MX10 mixed up with the MMII.

You've got the manual settings to worry about to ensure your picture is correctly exposed, but any basic photography book will take you through the concept of Fstops etc.

But one of the biggest hints I can give you and one that drove me mad when I first started using it: You HAVE to mount the additional lenses on underwater. They actually need water trapped between the camera and the lens to work properly. If you fix the lens on land, and then jump in, the air vacuum and/or partial flooding of that little section (for want of a technical term) will distort your photos. So take it off underwater and put it back on again.

At the beginning I screwed up some really nice shot by forgetting to re-mount the lens after I'd got in the water.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

Hi John, I use a Sea & Sea Motormarine EX II with dual YS 60 strobes, if you want to learn more about how to use your camera I can recommend this site..its full of useful tips!  http://freespace.virgin.net/andy.aj/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Imported post

Sea and Sea also have a very good book called 'The New Guide to Sea and Sea', by Liburdi and Sherman, which is worth a look. It has  a chapter dedicated to the MMII EX - (as well as chapters dedicated to the other S&S cameras) - plus lots of tips on how to get the best out of the different lenses. For instance it wasn't till i read the book, that I realised that when  using the WAL you should have the focus set at infinity!!

Also, and i dont know if I am teaching yu to suck eggs here, but dont be afaraid to take the flash off its arm and hold it further away to reduce back scatter.

Good luck
Steve

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

Eddie, thanks for the link. I've had a quick look and will study it more closely when I have more time.
Steve, I've bought the book (at Deep Blue, in Tynemouth. It is out of stock everywhere here in Sweden). Fortunately, the previous owner of the camera lent me his copy of the old version (The Copmplete Guide to Sea & Sea), which I read during the crossing from Gothenburg to Newcastle, so I have hopefully avoided some of the more basic pitfalls. I'm off to leave my films at the lab. now, should know the results in a couple of days (having them delivered on a CD, not bothering about prints).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts