YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Might be of use to some of you,  I have heard that if you have problems with condensation forming in a housing then if you have room in the housing a pack of silica gel can help.  Not earth shattering I know but a very good cheap alternative is a tampon.  (Probably won't cope with a flooded housing though ;))

Also I have heard of people putting a metal disc in polycarbonate housings to act as a attraction point for condensation rather than say the lens.

Finally always when possible aclimatise your housing in a dry environment before moving between environments.   I always leave my housing open in an air conditioned environment for a couple of hours before sealing it up in the air conditioned environment.

Apologies for those who I am teaching to suck eggs but some of this maybe useful for someone.

If nothing else it gives us a valid excuse why we as divers need to carry KY jelly and tampons. ;)

Daz

·
Registered
15 Posts
Imported post

for the oly housings, they come with silica packs, if you ring cameras underwater they should be able to supply replacement ones

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Jan. 30 2003,16:23)]I always leave my housing open in an air conditioned environment for a couple of hours before sealing it up in the air conditioned environment.
You got air conditioning Daz?? Flash git! Its a good tip though - I've been getting condensation in my housing recently and not noticed till I've gone through nearly a full roll of film. From now on I'll leave the casing open in my car on the way to the dive site with the air con on for a bit then seal it before getting out.

Regarding the silica gel packs, anyone know where you can order them from? I used to have loads but threw them all away (Doh!)

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Web site for silica gel sachets.

http://www.keene.co.uk/system/keene.htm

As an aside,  aparently defogging solution on the lens can also help  (You remember defogging solution ?  The stuff we used to use in our masks when we started diving, before our spit evolved to the point where it was more effective  
)

Daz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts