YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Been a busy day playing Knights of the Old Republic on the xbox but the following has been niggling me...

Me and the wife have Suunto equilte 1000 bcds, the manual that came with the bcds states these bcds shouldn't be used with nitrox, as I've just booked myself a nitrox course through the dive shop, do I have to look at using another air source to use in the bcd / drysuit ( an additional cylinder ) or look at buying another bcd that is ok for having nitrox put into it.

I'm probably missing something here so apologies if it's a numpty question....

regards andy

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Thats a new one on me. I've never heard of a BCD that states not suitable for nitrox. Can't imagine why - the molecular weight, expansion rate etc is of little difference. Does it say why?

I can only imagine it's to do with the increased O2 content & possible being a safety precaution in the same way your reg is cleaned. IMO it wouldn't make any difference. If you've got a drysuit then it's only a surface/ back up buoyancy device

gareth

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ancl @ Nov. 14 2003,20:39)]Been a busy day playing Knights of the Old Republic on the xbox but the following has been niggling me...

Me and the wife have Suunto equilte 1000 bcds, the manual that came with the bcds states these bcds shouldn't be used with nitrox, as I've just booked myself a nitrox course through the dive shop, do I have to look at using another air source to use in the bcd / drysuit ( an additional cylinder ) or look at buying another bcd that is ok for having nitrox put into it.

I'm probably missing something here so apologies if it's a numpty question....

regards andy
Somehow think I would risk it.

I really would not worry about it to be honest..  Did it also come with a lifetime guarentee or until it gets wet..

Anyway you have already used them with nitrox (nitrox 21  
)

Daz

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Andy

Sounds like total BS to me mate. Up to 40% don't need no extra precautions / cleaning. Just use it like you would Nitrox 21, other than the MOD.

I'd even go so far as to ask if the manual was printed on 1st April?

Dive Safe, Dive Nitrox

Paul

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Found in the Suunto B/C instruction manual....

"This product has been designed to be used with air in compliance with the requirements for breathable air prescribed in standard EN132.  

Do not use with enriched air nitrox as it would be dangerous."

Spoke to the dive shop about it, never noticed it before but said it wasn't an issue.

Thanks for the replies, roll on my nitrox course ( still waiting confirmation of dates.... )

Cheers
Andy.

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Imported post

Product liability clauses in manufacturers insurance policies often result in such strange statements. Do not worry about your BC bursting into flames. Worry about the nitrox in your drysuit instead!!!!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I believe it was the DIS list where somebody had a customer who was adamant that his drysuit inflate button be O2-cleaned. Wouldn't take No for an answer..

It's amazing the things people would rather have than money

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Nov. 17 2003,23:25)]I'm more worried about the bloody methane in mine.
Would farting in a drysuit affect your buoyancy (more gas in the suit)?

Or is the gas just moving from one 'air space' to another?

Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Hmmm. Shouldn't make any difference I s'pose.  I do think more research should be done on the physiology of off-gassing out of one's arse post dive. My astonishing flatulence after dives is IMHO playing a useful part in reducing the risk of DCI and is a much more entertaining method than using boring old alveoli.  Though the chaps & chapettes on the boat don't necessarily always agree with me.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

The only problem is finding someone to let you out of your drysuit after the first time!

Dom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts