YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Has anyone tried taking a good old fasioned rubber  hot water bottle ,in your drysuite when diving . how did it react at depth ?? did it leak ? or was it ok ?

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>If it leaked or even if it moved withing your suit, you'd be stuffed and get burnt, possibly having to endure the pain through a deco obligation.

Careful with this one I think.

Didn't someone post on her a few months ago about a home build elec heated undersuit - based on motorbike kit?

Juz

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>You can buy these things that you put in the microwave and stay warm up to 2 hours. THey've got treated wheatgrains in them, and they smell good too. I think hot water bottles have been banned in schools etc now because of the risk of getting burnt, but these aren't, as if they pop, you just end up with warm wheatgrains against your skin.

Do you really need this? Get a better undersuit, or try different drysuits or gloves etc. before you go putting hot water bottles in there. I think it's more risk than it's worth, too.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I was getting very tempted by the look of those reusable hand warmers Kate R found. I don't normally get cold but then I'm not normally stupid enough to get in stoney in January or February.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

thanks for your replies ,I am still trying to get hold of the LARGE  gell heating pads  that are resusable with a metal disk inside that you click . It seems that you can get the small ones anywhere but the large ones its near imposible other than this place in Canada. I met someone at wraysbury last weekend that let me try hers this lady had a massive one you can put round your back ,she got them at the dive show but I  was  unable to get any  details of  suppliers  in the uk. The website on the product its self is the wholesaler in Canada .I have emailed them but with no luck on uk supplier

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I saw them at the show too. Why not e-mail the show organisers, or better still e-mail Diver, you might well get in the magazine, with links on how to find suppliers from the show etc. for everyone else too.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Not reusable, but might be worth a look - you can  get large heat pad type thingies for pain relief (sports injury and period pain - replacement for the traditional hot water bottle) that are a decent size and have adhesive patches so you can stick them to your skin). They get pretty warm, but presumably won't heat up to a damaging level as they're designed for long-term skin contact.

I've seen them in Boots.

Actually, now that I think about it, I might get a couple to try them out.

Digger - wheatgerm-based things you put in the microwave that get hot - you're not talking about Pop Tarts are you?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Don't bother with the disc activated gel packs as a means to keep warm during a dive.

It works for about 5-10 minutes and is very localised.

They are great after a dive to warm the little pinkies up.  

Heated undersuits are not cheap,  but there were some produced that were based on resistance wire sewn into a waistcoat,  the waistcoat was then sewn inbetween the layers in the undersuit (Incidently the waistcoat parts are exactly the same as sold in motorbike shops).

If anyone wants any more info, drop me a PM,  I have had some reasonable success with this.

Daz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts