YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi Guys,
Having just received my SmartPro replacement about 4 weeks ago I have noticed that at the end of every dive and during my surface interval, when I re-activate my SmartPro, I see on the left hand side of the display the altitude symbol (small twin peaked mountain).  The right hand peak has a small dot displayed at the sumit and there are no altitude bars at the base of the mountain symbol. I have spoken to our local Uwatec supplier who has no idea what this means or what causes it.  Any suggestions would be more than welcome.  Oh and when I do my follow on dive the symbol goes away until the next surface interval.  Bizarre!
Many thanks in anticipation

DavidW
-Bye-

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hi David,

Could this be the altitude prohibited display?

In between dives the mountain symbol may appear with some sections filled in.  Is the point of the higher peak filled in.?

If so this signifies that you should not exceed 4000m

If the top 2 sections are filled in 2650m
3 sections 1650m
and all sections 850m

I'll try to insert a picture as an example.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Hey Daz,

How's it going.  Thanks for the pointer but I am surprised that this is happening as we have been doing only shallow off the beach dives recently.

Ta anyway and I'll email you soon

All the best

DavidW
(Jason's coming over for the BarBQ tomorrow)

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Oct. 22 2003,11:44)]Hi David,

Could this be the altitude prohibited display?

In between dives the mountain symbol may appear with some sections filled in.  Is the point of the higher peak filled in.?

If so this signifies that you should not exceed 4000m

If the top 2 sections are filled in 2650m
3 sections 1650m
and all sections 850m

I'll try to insert a picture as an example.
Are you sure about those height Daz? They seem a bit much!
4000mtr = 13,300ft. Planes are pressurised to 3000ft and you're not meant to go near one of them for 24hrs, even at the other end;
850m = 2800ft. Ben Nevis is only 1350ft. So at it's most conservative you could do a days diving and yet still be able to climb the highest mountain in the UK(twice)

Are you sure you're not confusing ft with mtrs?

Peter

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Just double checked the values are definitely metres.

And I guess it makes sense (I had to re think what it was saying) but it appears that on a shallow dive then you can run up and down mountains to your hearts content up to 4000m.

As the diving gets more agressive then it seems to be indicating that you should be more careful about altitude.

It kind of stands to reason I guess,  my computer goes into no fly even if I do a really shallow dive (just like the 4000m limit).  

Don't know about the Ben Nevis bit Peter, But this was straight from the Uwatec web site.  BTW:-  The smart pro also has a no fly symbol as well so you probably could not fly but you could run up and down Ben Nevis !!!   Yep makes no sense to me but hey good luck to anyone who can run up and down Ben Nevis.

1st Figure: Mountain with 4 bars, 850 m / 2790 ft
2nd Figure: Mountain with 3 bars in the top, 1650 m / 5413 ft
3rd Figure: Mountain with 2 bars in the top, 2650 m / 8694 ft
4th Figure: Mountain with 1 bars in the top, 4000 m / 13120 ft

To minimise Microbubble formation, the Smart shows at the surface the altitude ceiling that the diver is prohibited from exceeding, following a dive. Useful for divers who dive in mountainous regions, this is displayed as a flashing altitude segment which corresponds to the altitudes displayed above, and is subject to the preset Microbubble suppression setting in the Smart.

Anyways,  Hope that helps David,  I guess the algorithm / program has definitely been changed after the recall and this maybe why it is only being noticed now and not before.  

Give my best regards to Jason,  and tell him I said soft drinks only - well maybe one shandy.  

Daz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts