YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

A delicate question, well maybe for us bashful softies down south,  I ‘m in the process of buying a dry suit and was wondering about getting a pee valve fitted. (One dubious benefit of the wet suit)
Has anyone had experience of these, are they a source of external/internal leaking?
Are there different types – I’m looking at the O’three.
There must be obvious benefits in the hydration/duration/depth balance as well as the obvious kidney ease – help please.

On a med/tek note – how do you measure adequate hydration for diving?

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Although I know little. Surely two zips means twice the chance of zips breaking. And they are a tad expensive.

But how often do zips break???

Are they the weakest point on a dry suit?

·
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

I thought the pee valve was a little twisty valve thing rather than a zip - there are zips aroung but they are for surface use only unless, i guess,  you nail your self down and pump air into your suit like there's no tomorrow - mind boggles.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Umm... P valves don't involve zips. You're thinking of a convienence zip.

I confess the only thing stopping me from getting hold of a P valve is the thought of how the rest of my dive club would react. Well, there's the cost as well...

I'd be more likely to get the balanced one rather than O3s simple "unscrew and go" job tho..

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Ben,I think Richie's actually on about the valves,y'know the one's that are used with a surgical sheath(like a condom),tape and a tube.
The zips are awfull.I've got one in one of my suits.Remember that it's a ND suit however so it'll be below par for a start.If,with cold trembilg hands you manage to undo said pee-zip, you take the skin off your fingers as the zip,by nature is like a blooby clam.It's like trying to get your fingers and tops with a nun wearing a chastity belt.If you do manage to find "it","it" has, in anticipation of being mauled by said teeth,shrivelled to peanut size so has to be streched out to ensure you don't pee in your suit.Now you have'nt enough hands,you need 2 to hold the zip apart..(or take the the pain)!You need another hand to hold "it".
IMHO it's far better to undo your main zip and pee over your neck seal...or maybe buy a pee valve.
Hope this helps,Hobby.

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Like i said,

I know nothing.

Valve, you sick puppys. Its one thing getting dressed in rubber for for marys sake but doing that. Its not natural!!!

Save the money learn to cross your legs whilst finning!

Hobby, Why are NDiver suits under par (sob, ive got one!)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Agreed! ND under par??? On what gorunds?
my 'spare' suit (ie haven't flogged it yet) is a ND 8mm Neoprene with "convenience zip", never had a problem with the zips.

P-valve , yes... strange reactions from others, but I like the idea of being able to drink as much water as you like with worrying about holding it all in, so have thought about this one many a time.

Apart from the issue of buying the right size "condom" (f***ing extra large, what else !  yeah, right... :lol2:  )  the real problem is the "learning curve", I believe it is quite steep, I'm sure there was a review of this problem in a Dive mag some months ago - I'll try to dig it out.

Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]ND under par??? On what grounds?
<span =''>

Oh dear.
Settle in. This could be a long one

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Give me something to do at work!!!

Had no problems with my suit. I thought NDiver had a good rep!!

Hobby, handbags at dawn.

·
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

Had an ND way back, the glue holding the boots (wellies style) to the legs would fail usually from a weight belt being dropped on them. And since the odd leak was par for the course this would go unnoticed in the heat of the moment, jump into water, invert and wheyhayyy  big bubbles and 15kg negative with  no BCD. 30m here I come. Liberal use of Araldite solved it. Hours of fun for all.  

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Nappies anyone? I believe as Steve said the valves etc were reviewed and the females had the last laugh with incontinence pads (pants). However we could use those and then discretely dispose of them later. No valves, no leaks, no worries about the shop having run out of "extra large" condoms and having to squeeze into a smaller size. Problem solved for all?
Matt

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Had to have boots replaced after 4 years due to small but annoying leak, but that seems ok really for such a long time, especially as the legs were regularly turned inside out due to inlet valve having some probs, but that's made by apeks I believe so can't really blame ND.

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

The last time I bought condoms (for a friend obviously) the lady on the till winked and said have a good weekend, I just get the wife to get them now with the weekly shop, so much easier, never use them (married man) but keeps the ego happy.
Matt

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

Hello,
To use nappies you must be with buddy, or else is a big problem,...can you imagine getting ready before dry suit, your buddy puts a towel on boat deck, let you on your back on it, remove your under wear, and then grap you from your feet by one hand and putting talcom powerder by the other, like small babies. Then fastned your nappie hehe, or there an other method??
Another problem is how to convince my wife that I need condoms for a dive with my club ?!?
On a serious note, who have tried them both and which is the best? Wearing a condom in a dive site, I think is an other problem when ladies are present, what are your comments?

Regards

Pierre Farrugia

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

Women on the dive site!!!!! GOOD. The more the merrier. Most are experienced in condoms and rubber-wear, these days. You never know what reply you would get if you ask for a lending hand......LOL Hey its the new millennium after all.

Have fun diving

Lawrence

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Ask another woman for a lending hand, my God man my wife would lynch me by my own braces. New millenium or not she's not THAT understanding. Pierre I just loved the mental picture conjured up by the buddy pair and nappies, but I think you'll find there sort of like the disposable huggy ones i.e. self donning is possible but hey if you get off on the other method who am I to knock it.
Matt

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I asked my wife to get me some nappies for a long dive planned for next Saterday and she roled arround on the floor laughing so much I had to go and get them my self. I stood in Boots trying to look as cool as possible with a pac of super absorbent incontinance breifs in my hand and considered the benifit of telling the cashear it was for my grandad. In the end I just looked for the oldest uglest cashear and put it through the till and thanked god she didnt ask for a price check.

I will let you know how I get on as till now it has just been hold and hope but its dammed cold and I have a lot of deco planned.

I considered a pee valve  but it is expensive and I couldent face glueing my dick into a condom. Ordering size small to facilitate my penus retreating to my lower abdomen during cold wether was also too much embaresment to bear. If I got one I would probably end up ordering large and trying to reduce them with super glue:)

Mark Chase

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mark,
Why not consider mail order...not to buy XL condoms hehe. On a serious note, my TDI inst. told me that when using 'nappies'....hehe...., try to urinate very slowly, bit by bit or else you flood 'nappy' and it would not have enough time to absorb and will end up in you booties. I would suggest to send your wife shopping and try one on at home and urinate, so that you can check what happens before you are underwater with deco penalty, with piss in your booties.

Can someone give hints but from recent experience (not when was a baby)if the above is true or not.

Regards

Pierre

·
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Imported post

There is a lot to be said for the old wet suit (+ rinsing)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts