YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Having made further enquiries about CD wings, someone has suggested that OMS are, generally, better (in terms of usability/build quality/comfort etc).

If anyone has experience of diving both a CD wing and an OMS wing I would be grateful for their thoughts on the pros and cons of each wing.

Thanks in advance,

Kristen

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

OK,

What about DiveRite and Halcyon

Andrew

Well to be a bit nicer, whoever said that was wrong, there are four main manufacturers of wings, Custom Divers, DiveRite, Halcyon and OMS. You will be hard pushed to find a real difference in terms of quality between them. There are generally various types in there range, aimed at subtly different applications / markets. If you want DIR then single bladder, no bungy. If you want to dive warm water in a wet suit then twin bladder for redundancy.

The bungy thing is a personal choice, I dive a DiveRite SuperWing, this is a dual bladder affair, it works. Mark (Chasey) has a CD wing, it also works. SteveW (aka Batman) has and OMS wing, it works and lastly Bob Cooper has a Halcyon one, and guess what, it works.

You need to think about what type of diveing you expect to get into, where you expect to dive, and if you intend to go down the DIR road, then that needs to be considered.

Don't be fooled by this mine's better than yours thing, they really are much of a muchness.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

I would like to buy a wing that is adaptable for use with a single cylinder and can also handle a twinset up to twin 12s and dive it both in this country and abroad (I have decided to go single bladder as the majority of my diving is in this country). I am currently diving singles and it may be a year before I move on to a twinset but want to invest in a wing now that will be good for both.

Any comments welcome........

·
1,969 Posts
Imported post

In which case. probably the CD wing. Send Mark Chase a PM, he will fill you in on the details of his rig.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

My OMS with IQ harness does singles too (it's what I used in the Red Sea), you get two cam bands as part of the package.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Hi Again  

You know most of my thoughts already as I put them on D net. On the specific issue of quality, its a non issue they are both very good wings. My original choice was between OMS and CD and it was the flexibility of the CD TDB that swayed me in the end. No single tank adaptors required and no super long cam bands trying to hold twin independents in place.

My Avatar is me in the Red sea using two independent 12's on the CD wing.

Another issue to consider is that CD is in Redhill Surrey. You being a London lad will be able to pop down to the place the things are made and take a look around and chat to the man himself. I have popped in for a chat and he is a very knowledgeable and experienced diver who designs dive kit to do a specific job.

When my CD torch flooded he was willing to send out a circuit diagram and a list of parts required for me (well Andrew actually) to repair it using bits from Maplins and he took time to asses the failure of the torch and tell me what to do to prevent it happening again.

I don’t think you will regret buying an OMS or a CD wing they are the two most commonly used in my circle of divers and all speak highly of their own unit and respect the other.

Two things with the TDB unit:

1:The rubber bungees are very soft and designed to break if you get snagged on anything. Unfortunately they break far too easily for the liking of most users especially if like me you stow your long hose in them. You will need 2.2m of shock chord to replace the bungees.

2: The sleeve cover that covers the wing inflator hose is very good at keeping it all tidy but it drops down over the connector thus preventing easy detachment of the inflator hose in an emergency. It is a standard mod to stitch in a loop at the top to prevent this sleeve dropping down and covering the connection.

I will sort some more picks. I hope the first lot came through OK

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (KCR @ Jan. 27 2004,15:17)]I am currently diving singles and it may be a year before I move on to a twinset but want to invest in a wing now that will be good for both.

Any comments welcome........
You would be best off if you buy single purpose wings. So buy a single tank wing for use until you get your twinset then buy a larger wing when the need arises.

Underwater Explorers in Portland are doing a good deal on the new Halcyon Eclipse single tank wings at the moment -  Special offer

That is the best way to go. You can then just buy an Explorer wing at a later date. Dual purpose wings are the worst of both worlds.

HTH

Mark.

·
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Mark,,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dual purpose wings are the worst of both worlds.
Boll**ks This is what the bungy is for, admitidly with the Superwing I have to use an adapter, but, I have never had any for of issue using a single, nor has Mark (Chase) nor has any other wing user I have ever come accross who has the nouse to work it out.

Sorry, but as far as I am concerned we are moving back to the Halcyon is best garbage again. Where is the considered and valid opinon of Bob when you need him.

Andrew

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (andyp @ Jan. 27 2004,20:07)]Sorry, but as far as I am concerned we are moving back to the Halcyon is best garbage again.
Don't be sorry. IMO Halcyon is best, that's why I use and recommend it.

I would imagine most sales of CD wings are by clueless dive shop monkeys to unsuspecting and unpreparred  'tech' diving wannabees that know no better.

There is an alternative to that 'old school' and outdated 'UK tech diver' gear.

Regards,

Mark.

·
1,969 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would imagine most sales of CD wings are by clueless dive shop monkeys to unsuspecting and unpreparred  'tech' diving wannabees that know no better.

There is an alternative to that 'old school' and outdated 'UK tech diver'
Bloody hell mate, what gives you the right to say this, have you ever dived a CD wing, any model. Halcyon wings are OK, I know this because I've dived one, CD wings are also OK, I've dived one also. Can you say the same, if not shut up.

I have no issue with DIR, but why oh why do so many of you approach diving with such an arrogant, ignorant attitude.

Halcyon is best, crap, Halcyon is good, fair enough. I don't dive one, why, because I like a bungied wing. This is my choice, I have done some fairly reasonable dives with it, tell me I was wrong to do so and why. Your attitude gets right up my nose, not because you choose Halcyon and DIR but because you choose to espouse your point of view in an arrogant I am right all the rest are wank*rs manner. This just makes you come accross as ignorant.

Make from this what you will

Andrew

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark @ Jan. 27 2004,21:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would imagine most sales of CD wings are by clueless dive shop monkeys to unsuspecting and unpreparred  'tech' diving wannabees that know no better.
I got my CD TDB on recommendation from Pete Kemp former head of Just Diving who is a vastly experienced Technical diver of over 20 years in the water who is now part of Team Delta who focus on un-dived Trimix wrecks in the 70 - 90m range.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (andyp @ Jan. 27 2004,20:07)]Sorry, but as far as I am concerned we are moving back to the Halcyon is best garbage again.
Don't be sorry. IMO Halcyon is best, that's why I use and recommend it.
Halcyon is a brand name of kit approved by and manufactured by DIR Guru Jarrod Jabllonski. There is nothing wrong with Halcyon equipment it is generally well made and well designed. It is no better or worse than OMS or CD for that matter but the DIR followers believe that DIR is the ONLY way to dive and we must ALL have DIR equipment so as a result SOME dir fanatics will print this sort of rubbish. This is both sad and a poor reflection on the generally commendable core principles of DIR.  

Halcyon wings are not commonplace and I am not a personal fan of the twin set wing. You cannot use the Halcyon twin set wing in its designed form for single tank diving. They do however make an excellent single tank wing that I would like to get for my wife but its a tad expensive.

Seeing as he specifically asked for a wing suitable for use with configurations ranging from single tank to twin set diving the Halcyon doesn’t even enter the equation. If he was looking for a pure twin set rig I would recommend the vastly more cost effective and just as good Dive Rite Classic as a non bungee wing.

Mark Chase

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (andyp @ Jan. 27 2004,21:47)]Your attitude gets right up my nose
<font color='#000080'>No, really?  

It's just my opinion and not meant to offend.

BTW, no I haven't tried a CD wing but I don't need to actually try one to be able to tell you a string of reasons why I wouldn't want to use one. I just need to look at one for that.

Regards,

Mark  

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would imagine most sales of CD wings are by clueless dive shop monkeys to unsuspecting and unpreparred  'tech' diving wannabees that know no better
Yep got to agree that there is/was some truth to that statement however the same can now be said of halcyon as well as they have taken over as leaders in that field these days. The amount of divers I have come across in the last year geared right up with halcyon gear thinking they are the cream of tech and dir etc but without a clue begs belief. Halcyon has become the in label to have in diving and this is what the unsuspecting and unpreparred  'tech' diving wannabees  are buying these days not c/d.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Jan. 27 2004,22:07)]If he was looking for a pure twin set rig

Mark Chase
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I got my CD TDB on recommendation from Pete Kemp former head of Just Diving who is a vastly experienced Technical diver of over 20 years in the water who is now part of Team Delta who focus on un-dived Trimix wrecks in the 70 - 90m range.
That's all very well but IMHO you were still given duff outdated advice.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Halcyon is a brand name of kit approved by and manufactured by DIR Guru Jarrod Jabllonski. There is nothing wrong with Halcyon equipment it is generally well made and well designed. It is no better or worse than OMS or CD for that matter but the DIR followers believe that DIR is the ONLY way to dive and we must ALL have DIR equipment so as a result SOME dir fanatics will print this sort of rubbish. This is both sad and a poor reflection on the generally commendable core principles of DIR.  
Right.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Halcyon wings are not commonplace
Yes they are (but no you can't get them in every dive shop up and down the country).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You cannot use the Halcyon twin set wing in its designed form for single tank diving.
And your point is? It is designed for twin tank diving only, as it says on the tin.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They do however make an excellent single tank wing that I would like to get for my wife but its a tad expensive.
£395 for the whole system at the moment - not exactly cheap but very good value.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would recommend the vastly more cost effective and just as good Dive Rite Classic as a non bungee wing.
No it's not as good and I doubt it is that much cheaper. How much are they going for at the mo? I can't find anywhere selling 'em online.

Regards,

Mark.

·
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Go on then Mark,

Explain what your "duff and out dated advice" might be?  What should the correct advice be?

Please qualify this with some explination of why this advice is so "up to date".

Be careful, if you just espouse a DIR point of view I will tear into you again, if you manage (somehow I am a little sceptical) to put accross a balenced, reasoned arguament then I will willingly accept any points that are valid.

Off you go, this is your chance to prove how stupid and ignorant I am!

Andrew

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
Imported post

Well

I have owned and dived

1) Some Scubapro thing that must have been old stock in the shop and they wanted a mug to get rid of it

2) Buddy Trimix

3) Dive Rite tech wing

4) CD TBC double bladder wing

5) Halcyon Explorer

6) Halcyon Eclipse

I still own the 2 Halcyone wings... at thet time of purchase the other wings were ok, but I very soon found fault and wanted to change. The shops made a fortune out of me in the process.

IMVHO the CD was the worst. the primary inflator/ dump was (may still be) in the wrong place. I eneded up doing most dives using the second bladder as the primary, resulting in the inflate hose being over my "right shoulder". Try explaining this to an unfamilure buddy
 at least this way the deflate was at the highest point of the wing rather than the lowest. the CD also had a Fu*** up of a harness with far to many D rings and break points. As has been said in a previous post by DAN the Backplate was one of the best (IMHO)

Dive Rite - no issue - just personal preference. They make some good kit and have even copied the halcyon stuff recently.

Buddy trimix.........err no comment - just a moment of madness

Halcyon - bloody expensive! well made, has all the things I need and none of the "extras" put on a lot of gear to make them look good. Halcyon might have good marketing but at least the marketing people did not have a hand in the design - just the divers. The Explorer is not good with a single - but then its not supposed to be and the Eclipse works great with a single or a pair of twin 12s

Just my 2p

Regards

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>It is obvious (to me at least) that to advocate a piece of kit which is covered in unnecessary failure points and convolutions would be 'unhelpful' if nothing else. I would never tell someone to buy/use a piece of gear like that. If the whole picture is given about an item of gear the buyer can make an informed and hopefully logical choice. Dive gear should not be unnecassarily complicated and if you know what is 'unnecessary' you will be in a much better position to make an informed and logical choice. That's probably the DIR argument but basic intelligence should be able to work out what is crap and what is good if you are armed with the facts before you go shopping.

I guess we should just be very careful when it comes to taking advice about buying dive gear.

Regards,

Mark

·
1,969 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]IMVHO the CD was the worst. the primary inflator/ dump was (may still be) in the wrong place
Skipper, I'm curious, it seems to me that the inflator has to me routed under the arm rather than over the shoulder, I know that Mark (Chase) dives the wing like this and has little problem with it, he just uses the pull dump rather than lifting the hose, this is also how I fly the DiveRite. Did you try to put it over the shoulder?

This really is just interest.

I looked at a CD wing not so long ago as I was ditching the Transpac (nothing against them, I managed to break it). As it goes in the end I just got a CD harness, which, once I had removed about 90% of the D rings has proven to be very effective, as for failier points, there are only two, one chest clip (the other is tied off in such a way it will never come un-done) and the waist buckle. The reason I chose against the CD wing was the exposed bungies, as it happens shock cord seems to be the solution.

My reason against thet Halcyon was that it could never take a second bladder, I dive the wing abroad in a wet suit and without it I have no viable backup. Not a situation I relish.

I do agree with you about the Halcyon quality though.

Andrew

·
1,969 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]unnecessary failure points and convolutions
This does depend on your opinion of unecessary, I have a DiveRite, it has internal Bungies, this means I can reduce the amount of lift that the wing delivers and reduce the flapping about effect if I choose to dive it with a single, this makes it a very flexible piece of kit. The same can be said of OMS and CD. My issue with them is they have exposed bungies. My choice, I will tell people why I made my decision, but I am also carefull to allow them there point of view and to make there own mind up.

I have a CD harness, I like the fact that I can slacken off the shoulder straps, also, it has big D rings on the part that you pull to tighten it up, it makes it easy to do with 5mm gloves on this all makes it quick and easy to get in/out of. Not least of which I have a very flaky shoulder, if I have to push it back too far, out it pops, and trust me, it bl**dy well hurts.

I like the idea of a one piece harness, but on the grounds that I have never seen a clip break in normal use, the failier point arguament seems fairly mute to me.

You need to do a lot better than this to convince me, I will conceed, but prove me wrong to make me do so.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 39 Posts