YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I answered a thread on the dark side as to what to use for bouyancy control bcd/wing or suit and indicated that I ascend in a horizontal orientation (sometimes) I have also posted on here that I sometimes ascend vertically. Both have been criticised now, so what does everybody else do?
Two scenarios - open water via an dsmb and up the shot line.

Horizontally I am slightly positively buoyant, vertically I am slightly negative and need to assist my ascent using my fins.

Answers please.

Matt

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

As Horizontal as possible - I'm lazy and it's an effortless way of doing it

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

horizontal ascent and descent and throughout the dive. I only use the wing for buoyancy and ensure the drysuit dump is open at all times so it auto dumps as I ascend. Doesn't matter whether I use a shotline or smb, I always remain horizontal.

There is an argument that horizontal is better for decompressing but it goes into medical stuff which I haven't read up enough on so cannot comment further.

Andy

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Horizontal as far as possible.  This excludes the first and last couple of metres.

On the descent I descend vertically until about 2m as it helps get rid of all that pesky air and I find I can't start a descent horizontally anyway.  

On the ascent I change to vertical for the last metre or so in order to be able to look up and make sure I am not about to hit my head!

Otherwise I try to stay horizontal.  I have to say that I am not always successful, especially if I find I am a bit light at the end of a dive using borrowed tanks.

Lou

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Same as Lou!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I usually go down vertically for a couple of metres while doing a bubble check with my buddy. I then switch to horizontal and maintain that attitude throughout the dive and most of the ascent especially if doing deco. I will normally change back to vertical for safety while surfacing from the last stop or 3m whichever is shallower.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

I'm a copy cat...same as Lou and John with some exceptions depending on conditions and whether my buddy (not my usual buddy but random punter you end up with) is overweighted and drops like a stone when vertical descent is needed to keep him in view.....lol.

Sometimes have trouble maintaining horizontal ascent or horizontal position at safety when viz is zero in the lake and at night and no reference point...but getting better.

Graham

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Sep. 09 2003,10:59)]Horizontally I am slightly positively buoyant, vertically I am slightly negative and need to assist my ascent using my fins.

Matt
<font color='#810541'>Matt, if you are neutrally buoyant then you are neutrally buoyant, no matter what position you are in. It is down to the amount of air and your breathing control. Maybe it is just a case of a bit more practise.  

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

Hi all, I use horizontal ascents and descents apart from the first/last meter as pointed out.
I'm also a little inverted both times. sooner have a bubble in me feet than me noggin is my reasoning, it may be flawed but its logical.
Stu.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Phil, I think you misunderstood me slightly.
I deliberately set myself as slightly neg when doing it vertical up an smb line. In effect I reel myself up the line, or I have done so to date, that way I know I am not going to ascend faster than I want to. It was when I stated that method earlier I got a bit of a grilling, but it works for me.

But you might well be right about the practice thing, I wonder if I can sell it that way to my wife, she sees precious little of me as it is.  

Matt

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Horizontal as much of the dive as possible

except for when I am sitting on the deco bar or hanging up side down to show off how a Neo suit can do this at 6m without ascent risk. Deco can be very boring so I try and varey it a bit.

WL the thing about horizontal is that all your blood supply is at about the corect presure for off gassing. If you are vertical your head can be at 6m and your feet at 7.8m. Not good

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Pretty much the same - horzontal free fall descent unless it's murkey, then I go feet first in case of monsters.

Ascent is often vertical until the deco/stop point, then I go horizontal-ish.  The vertical ascent gives me a clear view of what's going on, but most importantly helps my stoopid autodump work since it's been positioned in the wrong place.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I'm the same as Mdemon, horizontal down -vertical up -horizontal on safety. During dive I do enjoy being inverted especially when looking into cracks, silly but fun

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Mdemaon and Chris...

If ur scared of monsters...NEVER vertical down...once you hit the bottom and silt up...that's when the monsters come out....horizontal has to be the way down if YOU know monsters aree there...ie immediate silt up and lose contact with chums and have to spend the rest of the dive on your own...well...having thought about it...

Vertical down...

Graham

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Mark...

admit it...you've been vertical, as has welettuce...we all have.

Horizontal is preferable..

BUT...can we learn from the non-horizontal episodes please...(see mine above).

Did you ever see the ankle weight chaps...never ever seen them do a horizontal anything...bar the warhammer maoeuvre.

Can we be honest rather than idealistic...

Daft stories commence pls

kinetic

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

You have to go down inverted so you can overtake everyone on the shot.  you can fin faster and win the 'to the wreck race'.  And then horizontal on the ascent so you off gas evenly.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kinetic @ Sep. 09 2003,22:14)]Mark...

admit it...you've been vertical, as has welettuce...we all have.

Horizontal is preferable..
<font color='#000080'>Ok you've got me. I am definitly vertical as I do my giant stride entry, prior to descending and while climbing the ladder/using the tail lift. Underwater we aim for perfect trim (which means horizontal).

Regards,

Mark.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Inverted on descent, same reasons as Doug  
, horizontal the rest of the time. Apart for the offgassing benefits (cos that's what I've been told) it's actually more comfortable.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts