YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Not many Mackerel but all a good size
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the senior retired members of my branch has donated me some of his old kit.

Today I got tested an old tank, its a spartan and weighs a ton. Manufactured 09/1971 and inside its as clean as a whistle. 2500 PSI WP and WC 27lbs 10ozs.

I think in modern parliance thats 172bar and 12.5L, equivalent capacity to a modern 10L.

Next test will be a visual which it should sail through, so now will probably be in service until 06/2016. Thats 45 years! I doubt the modern gear is going to last that long.

"A" clamp valve of course, but thats fine because I can use it on my collection of twin hoses which date back to the mid fifties.

09/1971 for a tank still in service is this a record?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I had some allys from 1972, but the additional costs of testing were getting a bit extreme. They kept passing, though...

Digs.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I used to dive with one of those about the same vintage. It was nicked from my car along with the rest of my dive gear from the campsite at Beadnell back in 1995. It had been whopped up to 232 bar goodness knows how many times by compressor operators who were in need of a visit to Specsavers since the WP was painted on in BIG numbers as a warning. Still sailed through all its tests.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
A 1973 Spartan cylinder would cost about £25 back then. Gold was $60 an ounce and jumped to just under $100 the same year. The amazing thing you managed in all that time to keep getting decent dry fills.

Great idea to use with old regulators, often wondered if the old A-clamp yoke are OK at 200 bar, the way they flex when pressurised.

Tony Tillbrook who owed Spartan is 80 now, The company A Tillbrook and Co sadly ceased 20 odd years ago and just made wet suits under the Spartan name.

They also used to import regulators from Kawasaki Japan and Nemrod Spain. In it's day Spartan was a power house of all things diving including the ubiquitous ABLJ They folded 20 odd years ago now I recall the liquidation papers even showed them owing the milk man. I bought out all there ABLJ stuff and the steel wet suit cutting pattens.

Tony's "offspring" now have moved onto selling scented bath oils and all kind of things soapy. I guess the price you pay for having girls in the family, and not buying more gold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts