YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
Actually this brings to mind something that I have been thinking about for a little while. Many of our man made reservoirs, such as Rutland Water, Ladybower for example in the Midlands have remains of villages at the bottom of them. I know there were two villages lost when Rutland was created in the 70's.
I have wondered quite a few times how/if you would be able to go about diving them. Who would you have to approach to try and get permission, the water company responsible for the reservoir ?

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
Actually this brings to mind something that I have been thinking about for a little while. Many of our man made reservoirs, such as Rutland Water, Ladybower for example in the Midlands have remains of villages at the bottom of them. I know there were two villages lost when Rutland was created in the 70's.
I have wondered quite a few times how/if you would be able to go about diving them. Who would you have to approach to try and get permission, the water company responsible for the reservoir ?
no diving is allowed at rutland water or any of anglian waters reserviors, actually most water authorities dont allow diving in their reservoirs, probly to do with the fact that people would think about dead bodies in drinking water.

the villages in rutland water were flattened in the construction process when the earth bank was created at Empingham end.

the most fascinating construction story is the church which was saved from the waters.

sorry aboiut being a bore but I have looked into the possibilities before

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I heard that in most cases the drowned villages were torn down before the reservoir was flooded. Not sure why.

There is a reservoir in the lakes with a village in it - can't remember the name - that you're allowed to dive if you get permission from United Utilities. A couple of guys in our club dived it a few years ago and said it was very very murky.

·
12,604 Posts
I heard that in most cases the drowned villages were torn down before the reservoir was flooded. Not sure why.

There is a reservoir in the lakes with a village in it - can't remember the name - that you're allowed to dive if you get permission from United Utilities. A couple of guys in our club dived it a few years ago and said it was very very murky.
there was a post a few years back about reservoirs , mr T put a few links on it. one was about the north wales reservoirs created by the liverpool board of water and the local hatred for it.

have a play with the searcgh facility.

·
Silent Knight
1,849 Posts
Bewl Water near Tunbridge Wells in Kent still has the remains of a village and church underneath it. Apparently you can get permission to dive it with suitable topside cover but it's supposed to be a bit murky down there too.

Graham :)

·
12,604 Posts
Bewl Water near Tunbridge Wells in Kent still has the remains of a village and church underneath it. Apparently you can get permission to dive it with suitable topside cover but it's supposed to be a bit murky down there too.

Graham :)

need to BSAC advanced diver according to the bumpf sent by southern water.
RIB cover is also required.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I also heard the Story of the village in Ladybower. A while back a buddy and i thought about diving it so we went to "recce" the resovoir before finding out where we could get permissions (If that was possible???)
Anyway one look and we decided against it. The water was very very peaty and it would have been like diving in a cup of Bovril.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.