YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

A virgin no more, thanks to Ian (Price), Top Gun and the Hood.
A gentle 2 1/2 drive down to the South coast for a 9 o clock rendezvous. Ian had already booked us in the Breakwater dive centre so no problems there. Kit up and wander off to the boat, it was a lot smaller than I thought it would be but perfectly OK for the 10 of us. Joy of joys though it had a lift at the back so none of that struggling malarkey was going to be done. Quick spin out to the Hood, about 10 mins just outside the harbour, odd cos I thought it was going to be inside. A safety briefing, which to be honest went a bit over my head when the skipper started talking about picking us up after the dive. I sort of got it, something about a float etc. I thought I'd just watch what everyone else did when it came to it. So, to the dive, over to the shot line and a descent to the guide line (or whatever its called), nice and easy no problems at all, this is beginning to get good. A bit of plankton in the water but viz was about 3m and water temp about 11. Hmm, this is easier than Stoney. A wander round the wreck, its pretty big and all a bit overpowering really on a first visit for a now non-virgin, but great none the less. Spotting masses of sodding great crabs, spider jobbies the size of dinner plates. My first thoughts were I wasn't going to be trying to fight one of them home. Loads of fish, a later purchase indicates they were Wrasse and Pollock, superb colours and big boys to boot. I was really enjoying this dive, Ian was visible just ahead and we had planned for 30 mins, gas consumption indicated this was probable. We scooted along the wreck until we got to 100 and then headed back so as to be near the shot when we deployed my smb. Text book stuff via a self inflator and a real up nice and slow. Ian decided to go above me and just let the line slide through his fingers. Did our stop and surfaced. Weight seemed about right, I had added 2kg from the freshwater weight. Ian was picked up first and I followed his example, the only slight worry was the boat headed straight for me and went right just at the last moment, I though Budgie was going to run me down, he knew what he was doing though and the float was dead easy to grab. Now I do like that lift idea, very civilised, Step on, it hauls you up and you step onto the boat, easy.

Back on board and wait for the others to do likewise. During the trip back I noticed one of the other divers in Techie black had his name on a torch, Izzy, exulted company indeed. They were doing a penetration course, nice bloke not in the laest pretentious or a smart arse. Plenty of wise cracks going on, particularly by Izzy asking if his 'boys' had done the same wreck as him. They were covered in crap, he was spotless.

A break for lunch until the next slack, according to Budgie there would be very few divers out this afternoon and we might even have the boat, not sure if he meant his or the Hood, to ourselves.

Suffice to say we didn't have either to ourselves, there were club ribs all over the wreck by the time we got there. Ian decided that we should drop straight onto the wreck as Budgie had said there was no tide at all, I was happy to agree. I had kitted up before we left harbour, Ian hadn't. When we got on the wreck it was a rapid disembark for both of us, on the surface we signalled OK and descended, Hell, where
dad all that Plankton come from, it was like diving in snot, viz was about 2 feet. WherE's Ian gone, oh bugger I'll have a look see if I can find him, if not up we go again. Now the skipper did say come up on an smb as its busy here and it was. So I had to find something I could tie off to and launch the smb, job done and up I go. On the surface Ian was waiting, so the agreed plan was working well. 10 mins for £14, nah, lets descend and do it again. So after deflating the blob we dropped, but this time we held onto each other till we hit the wreck then completed the dive. Much like the previous but this side was covered in white stuff whereas the other side wasn't covered anywhere near as much and had plumrose anemones over it. I preferred the look of the first side nearest the rocks but the second side looked much more like a wreck and therefore more interesting. Ian deployed his smb and I grabbed hold of him, he seemed OK with that idea and I didn't really want to use my smb as well as his. When I dump  all my suit/bcd gas I'm slightly(?) negative so I had to fin to stay with him. I think my exhaust gas peed him off once or twice but bless he didn't complain. Back on the boat as before, no problems except I'm sure that skipper is aiming for me again. De kit and banter as before, only this time more aggressive well intended ribbing (excuse the pun). It was generally along the lines of each buddy pair suggesting that each diver wasn't really up to much, followed by a good belly laugh.

De-kit, cup of tea and head for home. 3 hrs later I arrived, oddly not tired. All in all a great day out, superb weather, an easy drive, a great dive (or two) and super company.
The kit needs a wash, but that's a small price to pay for such a good day out.

Now it will be hard for Swanage to beat that.

And I'm no longer a virgin.

Matt

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Well done Matt.
the Hoods a good dive, when you can see it, unfortunatley most of the times we've dived it its because the weathers crap and its the hood/ portland harbour or nothing.

But the Aeolian Sky is a superb dive, again if good vis.

So are you off to get the twin set and deco bottle before swanage?

You must have caught that misserable git Budgy on a good day.

Its no fun driving down to Portland when you're told, by budgy, the weathers ok and when you get there youre told its not, so you end up diving the harbour wall and not the Sky.
And then suprisingly theres an instructor and trainee on our boat who was not qualified to dive the Sky.

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

The drive is a long one and probably not one I'd do if I thought
the weather was going to be pants, but Ian lives locally (15 minutes away - jammy sod!) so we have a spy we can use to get real info. now and thus avoid a wasted journey.

I agree I would be cheesed off if we'd agreed to do a wreck and found that it was canned because of someone else's inexperience, perhaps the instructor was a local and got a bit of preferential treatment.

Twin tanks, no not yet. Ian and I discussed it and felt that personally we wouldnt rush into it, especially so in my case as my son would want the same! (or an RB)

Matt

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>

Woohoo,  sounds great Matt,  As things transpired,  I did not get the chance to dive this weekend - Always next weekend though  

Will keep you apraised of the dates for Porthkerris just in case you are interested in throwing yourself in some more of that wet salty wobbly stuff.

Daz

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Wahey!!  You did it...well done.  

Sounds like a good couple of dives, even if you did take the jessies way and get a boat with a lift..........

Now, get your head in that fish book so we hear no more of "white stuff".

See you at Swanage, all of a swagger, now you are "in the club"!

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Took a while for you guys to pick up on white-stuff.
Looks like camping should be good as well as the weather God's now gone to annoy someone else, hope its the Jock bugger Peter K.

Matt

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Ya wee bast*rd. I can't slag you for being a quarry diver anymore. Ho-hum, I'm sure I'll come up with something else fairly quickly. I'm glad to see Godzilla did not make a Binnie burger out of you. Life would not have been the same without you!!!
 Take care Matt and welcome to the world of "REAL" diving. Although I've got a cheek to talk at the moment. The nearest I get to water is when I take a bath in the Safeway trolley ridden burn at the back of my house.

Peter

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Peter, a Weegie having a bath? - bet you don't use soap!

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Coming from you Peter thats almost kind.
I wasnt a quarry diver before, just hadnt done UK Sea dives, nice blue ones where if your buddy is not visble he hasnt jumped in yet! Glad to see you are resisting the temptation to get wet though, when do you hope to get the all clear?
Matt

·
PSAI Instructor Trainer
199 Posts
Imported post

Matt's

quite right, it was a good couple of dives, and he diplomatically hasn't mentioned that part of the reason we lost each other on the 2nd dive was I was at 5m dicking about with my inflator hose... They dont work if there not attached properly you know! Well the valve works but you get this wet salty stuff inside your drybag which is not as good for boyancy or thermal protection.

did a minute on the wrek peering around for Matt, then naughtily did a slow ascent to the surface (very slowfor last 2 metres) checking for fast boys in Ribs. Floated about for 5 mins in the middle of the entrance having conversations with different BSAC clubs...

' no I,m not from your club, yes Im ok! thanks for asking, what am I doing? Im waiting for the guy underneath that SMB to come up.. then were going to go back down..'

Really enjoyed the dives and Matt's company, got some useful information from Izzy @ Underwater explorers, in that the bottom deck (actually top deck, upside down on the bottom) is stable and you can do a swim through fairly safely.

Hopefully the algae bloom will be on its way out by the time its the Swannage weekend!

and it took nearly 10 mins to get home, Matt! so had rinsed me kitt, had some scoff and a nice shower and a cup of tea, thinking mmmmm wonder if Matts on the M1 yet!

pricey

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

And you didnt add that you rang up just as I got home to see if I had arrived safely.
Cheers Ian a good day, still cant explain why I didnt feel knackered even after the long drive, might have been the multiple stops you put me through on the second dive, might try that myself next time out.

I wasnt sure about the smb launch after we lost each other I was tempted to just float up, but chickened out as I couldnt see bugger all.
Matt

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Gav- Fu*k off and may you're cylinders keep dropping off the back of your car.

Matt- Later this month and then, you never know, I may appear at the hallowed Stony just to teach all the quarry divers how to DIR.(not that you're one any more) . I'm beginning to get all excited now. Ohh, I could crush a grape.

Peter

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Good to hear that Peter. If I'm at Stoney how am I going to recognise you, Oh I know you'll be that fat ginger haired *** smoking dress wearing loud mouthed irn brew drinking git. I'll just be the loud mouthed southern nancy shandy drinking guy in tartan pants. Trouble is I wanna do sea dives now till the end of the season but the temptation of meeting up is just so big, you cant possibly be anything like that in real life. Can you?
Could be good, I might just sacrifice a sea dive for this and buy you a pint, after all there's precious little chance you'll buy one.

Matt

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ May 12 2003,17:40)]Good to hear that Peter. If I'm at Stoney how am I going to recognise you, Oh I know you'll be that fat ginger haired *** smoking dress wearing loud mouthed irn brew drinking git
Hey, that's a bit unfair. I'm not ginger

Peter

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Hiya folks - any chance of some more details - depth of wreck, current etc - sounds like a dive I need to do !!!

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I herd they held a fair well party for you at stony where all the major share holders sobbed their hearts out at the loss of a valued client.

Sod em! welcom to DIVING

Nice one M8 I did my 100th on the Hood so it will always have a place in my heart

See you at swanage

Mark Chase

·
PSAI Instructor Trainer
199 Posts
Imported post

For those technical minded devils of you..  (kirky)

The hood is at a depth of 18m and was scuttled at the South entrance of Portland harbour in 1914 to stop der U-boats and Hans's firing torpedoes and tings during WW1.

She inverted whilst sinking and was a salvaged shell prior to this (the navy had used her for target practice) she is upside on the bottom!

There are local concerns at the moment cos she has apparently got some hatchs inside that are made from Brass, and some half-wit is trying to smash into the hull to try to remove them on the QT. As this obviously destabilises the wreck and stops you; or makes it dodgy to keep doing penetration. (underwater explorers and others use her for TDI advanced wreck courses.)

Anyway we dived on the two slacks which is about high water Portland and 4 hours before high water. the depth range is then about 15 to 18m. In terms of vis we had 3m+ first dive and about 1.5m on high water, due to the algae bloom. The wreck is on a buoy,down to 8m then a guidline of about 30 metres actually onto the wreck. (there is a cable stretched across the south harbour entrance and the hood is just south of that ie. right outside and the whole width of the entrance)

I am told that the ebb on springs can be fierce above 3 knots and you need to be very cautious if your diving around then!

There are a number of local boats doing the harbour wrecks and theres now 3 dive shops in Castletown, with lots of air and nitrox!

hope this is helpful

Ian (Pricey)

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Nice one Ian - great info - thanks, now all Ive got to do is get a pass out - sounds like a great dive

1 - 20 of 30 Posts